Author Topic: Andersons from Drainie  (Read 2970 times)

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Andersons from Drainie
« on: Friday 04 May 07 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

I’ve come across the name of a publication by Elizabeth Anderson named:

"The Moray book of the Sutherlands of Duffus, the Andersons of Windmill Drainie and Oakbank Elgin, the Wilsons of Auchrannie and Tealing, Angus and the Cookes of Warwick and Braevilla, Elgin: Their families and descendants".

I’m related to the Andersons who lived in Oakbank Cottage in Drainie and Brea Villa in Elgin as well as the Wilsons of Auchrannie and I’d love to know if the author is still around and where the book can be purchased.

Also, if anyone is living in Elgin could you tell me if Brea Villa on the High Street still exists and perhaps Oakbank Cottage , that's in Bishopmill, but I don't know how far/close this is to Elgin.

If it's still there I'll drive over from Blairgowrie, but I don't fancy the trip if there's nothing to take pictures of.

Greenvalley

ANDERSON: Moray & Jamaica
ELDER: Stirlingshire, Perthshire & Glasgow
WILSON: Glenisla, Alyth & Dundee
GRANT & ATKINSON:Northumberland
HARRIS: Dron and Glasgow
MATSON: Glasgow and Belfast
OLIVER, HARDY & GIBSON: Ireland, Antrim Belfast
TODD: England and Jamaica
McGRIGOR, McILCHONNEL: Perthshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Andersons from Drainie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 May 07 23:05 BST (UK) »
I’m related to the Andersons who lived in Oakbank Cottage in Drainie and Brea Villa in Elgin ..... could you tell me if Brea Villa on the High Street still exists and perhaps Oakbank Cottage , that's in Bishopmill, but I don't know how far/close this is to Elgin.

Bishopmill is the part of the town of Elgin north of the River Lossie. It is in the parish of (New) Spynie, and Drainie is the next parish to the north. No part of Bishopmill is in Drainie, and anywhere which is in Drainie cannot be in Bishopmill.

http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp lists two houses called Oakbank, one in Duffus Road, Bishopmill, parish of Spynie and the other in Duffus Road, Bishopmill, parish of Spynie. As the road from Bishopmill to Burghead goes through Duffus, I reckon these are in fact one and the same house.

Looking at the 1881 census, I see that there was a Mrs Anderson in Oakbank, with a mother-in-law and a daughter both born in Drainie. The nearest neighbours are Woodlands and Findrassie, which tells me that this house is on or near the road to Duffus, so I assume that this is your folk.

Oakbank, Duffus Road, Elgin is listed in the current post code directory, so it seems that there is still a house there.

Now, Brea Villa. LIBINDX doesn't list any such house, but Brea is a common misspelling of Brae, and there is a Brae Villa in West High Street, Bishopmill, which is not the same as Elgin High Street. This was built around 1860 for a Mrs Simpson, and sold to a W Cookes when she died in 1888.

The 1881 census lists at Braevilla, New Spynie Dorothy Simpson and her daughter Dorothea. As the next addresses on both sides are in West High Street, it looks as if this is it. These days it seems to be No 37 West High Street, and its name my have been changed to Algarve.

So yes, if I am right in my reasoning, there are still houses at both these addresses, even though Oakbank is not in Drainie and Brea Villa is not called Brea Villa and is not in Elgin High Street.

Hope this helps.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Andersons from Drainie
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 May 07 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian,

on the 1871 Census the nearest houses are Newfield and Woodlands, and looking at it now, the parish is new Spynie. So that seems to be the correct house.

The villa in Bishopmill is also a hit  ;D, I checked this against the death certificate. So again thank you.

I'll now go and visit Elgin, with some of the pictures I have, which I think may be of Agnes Anderson standing in front of Brae Villa.

If the pictures match I will have a real proof that I found the correct Wilsons. It's a long story, but if I'm right I'll be over the moon.

Greenvalley
ANDERSON: Moray & Jamaica
ELDER: Stirlingshire, Perthshire & Glasgow
WILSON: Glenisla, Alyth & Dundee
GRANT & ATKINSON:Northumberland
HARRIS: Dron and Glasgow
MATSON: Glasgow and Belfast
OLIVER, HARDY & GIBSON: Ireland, Antrim Belfast
TODD: England and Jamaica
McGRIGOR, McILCHONNEL: Perthshire