Author Topic: william ward martin (east retford)  (Read 7302 times)

Offline tilter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
william ward martin (east retford)
« on: Saturday 05 May 07 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hello,

to all on the notts chat board. i am looking for information on william ward martin who was the son of john martin cainet marker of spa lane east retford.William ward martin later moved to sheffield where he married jane spire of doncaster.In the 1851 census william is aged 6 living with his parents john aged 27 his mother emma aged 22 his brother john aged 4 and sister catherine aged 1.

In the 1841 census williams father john is living in spa lane with his father william martin aged 60 who was from derby, his mother ann aged 55, john aged 18 app joiner / cabinet maker, his sister aged 10 the latter 3 born east retford. would be pleased to hear from others researching the above families.

i believe william ward martin had an uncle of the same name christened 1820 i.g.i batch number c059071 east retford.

yours tilter.
                     ;)

Offline sallyduk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: william ward martin (east retford)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 May 07 17:14 BST (UK) »
I have found the following all with John & Emma MARTIN as parents and father living at Spa Lane as a joiner or cabinet maker:-

Catherine Ann Ward MARTIN born 3 June 1849 East Retford

Sarah Hannah Grindley MARTIN born 11 Jan 1852 East Retford

Eliza MARTIN born 14 May 1854 East Retford

Mary MARTIN born 28 Dec 1856 East Retford

Frank MARTIN born 17 Oct 1858 East Retford

Jim MARTIN born 25 Dec 1861 East Retford

Henry MARTIN born 21 Jan 1866 East Retford

Hope these help in your research.

Regards
Sally
COLE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
CROW - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
FLETCHER - Nottinghamshire - Clarborough, Lincolnshire - Bourne, Bedfordshire - Biggleswade, Yorkshire - Sheffield
LAWRENCE - Yorkshire - Sheffield, Pontefract
MORRIS - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
NEWBORN - Yorkshire - Doncaster, Lincolnshire - Haxey
PATE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
TUPHOLME - Lincolnshire

Offline tilter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 May 07 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sally thank you for the message you posted in reply to my post. the info is much appreciated and has added to my wifes family tree.william ward martin was her gg father.i saw somewhere online that jim was a cricketer but was unable to contact the person who was researching the martin / holliday families.

regards
                           tilter. ;)

Offline OurWilliam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 September 09 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
Jim Martin, the cricketer, was my great grandfather (my grandmothers father). I have a walking stick and a book that belonged to him. I'm trying to find out about his grandfather, William, as I have a copy of his obituary that states he was at Trafalgar.
Any information on the Martin's of that time would be very interesting.

Offline OurWilliam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 September 09 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
Jim Martin was my great grandfather (my grandmothers father), although I have his birthdate as 16.11.1861
Are you connected to the Martin's or were you just helping someone with their research?
(RootsChat post Sunday 06 May 07 17:14)

Offline sallyduk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 September 09 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

I was just helping someone with their research  :-)

Regards
Sally
COLE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
CROW - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
FLETCHER - Nottinghamshire - Clarborough, Lincolnshire - Bourne, Bedfordshire - Biggleswade, Yorkshire - Sheffield
LAWRENCE - Yorkshire - Sheffield, Pontefract
MORRIS - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton   
NEWBORN - Yorkshire - Doncaster, Lincolnshire - Haxey
PATE - Cambridgeshire - Haddenham, Wilburton
TUPHOLME - Lincolnshire

Offline mongrel5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just wondering if anyone could clarify who Jim Martin (b.1861) played cricket for, William Ward Martin was my ggg grandfather, also where does the name Ward come from? And finally with regards to the obituary of William Ward Martins grandfather also named William, could you disclose what it says about his service at Trafalgar? Any help on any of these issues would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Mike

Offline OurWilliam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 November 11 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Re Jim Martin’s cricketing career, I have this account from a relative of mine.
“It is said by the family he played ‘gentlemen's' cricket.  The rich apparently thought it undignified to bowl and so they would recruit people from the ‘lower classes’ to do this for them.  I heard stories when I was growing up of great grandad Jim dining with Lord Fitzherbert and Earl somebody else so it rings true.  This also continued of course when he tutored Sir Anthony and Timothy Eden when they were children.  He dined with Sir William Eden and is mentioned in one book by Sir William as the ‘mad-headed cricketer’.”
I also have the book mentioned (Tribulations of a Baronet) and it is signed by Sir Timothy Eden with a comment addressed to Jim along the lines of “in remembrance of old cricketing days”
Jim also played minor counties cricket for Durham and eventually ended up as groundsman for Bishop Auckland.
Here are a couple of links to games that Jim played in
http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/86/86551.html
http://www.cricketarchive.com/Worcestershire/Scorecards/86/86567.html
His obituary also mentions that he played cricket at Nottingham and eventually fro Bishop Auckland

Re William Martin (a Royal Marine) and Trafalgar, the following is part of his obituary
“On the 25th March, 1803 he again embarked on board the Royal Sovereign and proceeded to Plymouth to join the Channel Fleet, under Lord Howe. Coming home again in 1804, he was paid off but immediately entered again and sailed for Cadiz, but after cruising about for some time they again returned to England to refit, and on the 23rd. of September again set out for Cadiz to rejoin the fleet under the command of the immortal Nelson, and on the 21st. of October 1805, he was at the Glorious Victory of Trafalgar. The Royal Sovereign, on board of which was Martin, was mismasted in about 20 minutes, but continue to pour in her broad sides until the victory was fairly decided.”
However my research suggests that he was a probably on HMS Swiftsure, not Royal Sovereign.

Re Ward Martin – sorry no idea. Bizarrely Jim Martin’s name on his wedding certificate is given as Jim Lucknow Martin. So perhaps their parents John and Emma liked to give their children strange names!
Hope that helps!

Offline mongrel5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 November 11 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks you so much for all that information, it is truly facinating, i actually study at Durham University at the moment, and have played against Durham at youth level for Lancashire. Great coincidence, Absolutely fantastic that he was a Marine, on the deck in the thick of it one imagines (do you know if he received the medal that was minted in honour of the battle). Just to clarify, are you saying that Jim and the family were the elements of the lower classes brought in to bowl? haha. Thanks again for your help!

Regards

Mike