Author Topic: Passenger ferries between Truro and Falmouth  (Read 3571 times)

Offline united

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Passenger ferries between Truro and Falmouth
« on: Sunday 06 May 07 12:22 BST (UK) »
Has anyone any information on the passenger steamships that ran between Truro and Falmouth in the 19th century?  I am particularly interested in the company "Benney & Co"; they owned, amongst others, steamships called "New Resolute" "Queen of the Fal".
Benney is my paternal grandmother's name, and the steamship company was owned by relatives of hers.
I have a huge and seemingly immoveable brickwall in the early 18th century - so have decided to attack it from a sideways direction .....!!!
Thanks

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger ferries between Truro and Falmouth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 May 07 14:52 BST (UK) »
Have a look at the following site.  There are a number of references to the Benney family.

http://www.falmouth.packet.archives.dial.pipex.com/id33.htm

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline united

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 May 07 15:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that David - I had seen the information before - but good to be reminded of where it is!!  Thanks for taking the trouble!

Offline Mair

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 May 07 17:45 BST (UK) »
This may be old hat but have you tried the Cornwall OPC site - absolutely stacked full of really useful stuff. 

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/

Could not research my Cornwall lot without it......

Jude
Rowland/s- Hughes -Caernarfornshire/Stockport Cheshire
Barnicoat - Cornwall Lancashire Stockport,Cheshire
Jones (!) - Caernarvonshire,NWales  USA - Iowa, Wisconsin, S Dakota.
Thomas - Anglesey, USA Iowa, Oregon

Offline united

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 May 07 22:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jude - yes I am familiar with the OPC site - lots of very useful information as you say!

Offline Mharriss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 October 14 02:19 BST (UK) »
Has anyone any information on the passenger steamships that ran between Truro and Falmouth in the 19th century?  I am particularly interested in the company "Benney & Co"; they owned, amongst others, steamships called "New Resolute" "Queen of the Fal".
Benney is my paternal grandmother's name, and the steamship company was owned by relatives of hers.
I have a huge and seemingly immoveable brickwall in the early 18th century - so have decided to attack it from a sideways direction .....!!!
Thanks

I too believe i am related to richard and sarah benney who ran Benney and company. I have other elements of the tree what are your looking for?

Offline Mharriss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 October 14 10:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks

I too believe i am related to richard and sarah benney who ran Benney and company. I have other elements of the tree what are your looking for?

You can also read about sarah pollock benney in the book ''A Mother in Israel': the Life of Sarah Benney'

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 November 14 18:24 GMT (UK) »
There is a very informative book - Passenger Steamers of the River Fal, by Alan Kittridge published by Twelveheads Press (£7 on Amazon at the moment) which has several photos of both the vessels you mention, also photos of various members of the Benney family. (Frederick, James and possibly Ernest, also Albert Edward)

Offline united

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 November 14 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, Tillypeg.  I have a copy of that book - it is just as informative as you say. I first saw act through the inter-libraries loan scheme, but when I decided I wanted a copy, had to order it specially - at more than the price you quote!  Well worth it though!