Author Topic: Give me access to your tree!!  (Read 9818 times)

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give me access to your tree!!
« on: Sunday 06 May 07 22:47 BST (UK) »
Not another rant about GR, but has anyone else noticed that increasingly people are requesting access to one's tree without any preliminaries?  It's as if all the etiquette has gone out of the window and newcomers think that they're entitled to scan your tree for connections.  I always reply politely with my email address, but I worry that a couple of my relatives who have nicked my tree and put it online have no such scruples. 
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Give me access to your tree!!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 May 07 22:57 BST (UK) »
Suttontrust

I have noticed, but on the other hand, I have had e-mails from people requesting that I give them access to my tree and they have already opened their tree to me, without knowing whether there is a genuine connection.  They have all been new to GR, so I wonder if it is not them being impolite, but just not realising what they are supposed to do.  I don't know how we learned that we should contact someone with a possible ancestor in common, giving information to them to see if the connection was genuine and then opening your tree.  Did we get instructions with the original GR.  I can't remember.

Liz

Offline ambers

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 May 07 04:52 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you have noticed but when you contact people through Hot Matches ....the box is ticked to automatically open your Tree.

:-[ :-[ :-[ so I have inadvertently in the past opened my Tree to people that I only contacted to see if we were connected.

I have only had one of those...Can I see access your Tree requests, without any other information. I never heard from them again when I replied WHY ;)

Ambers
GLAMORGAN: Evans. Davies. Eddy. Bradnum.
GLAM to USA:Walter H Davies 1886.Thomas J 1852
PEMBROKE: Bradnum.Summers
CARMARTHENSHIRE:Davies. Jones
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.
DEVON:Mallett. Acford, Kidston.Short.Lover.Edwards,Telford.Sparrow
SOMERSET: Masey
CORNWALL:Eddy.Thomas Maddern.Harvey. Noy.Reynolds,Batten,Curtis.
Cornwall to USA: Thomas, Semmens. Oats
Warwickshire: Mountney

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 May 07 04:59 BST (UK) »
Oh dear!
i think I am one of those guilty parties  :o

I didn't realise there was a set rule in doing things, I always have my tree access ticked (as ambers pointed out) for anyone I contact regardless of whether they get back to me or not.
I am new to GR so please someone tell if I am doing the wrong thing!

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline ambers

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 May 07 05:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

I can't remember any instructions when I joined GR but have learned a lot from reading other peoples Threads here.

I too find it best to establish a connection with the person, and check the details before adding anything to my Tree....some people have got their Tree so wrong anyway. :-\
I don't automatically copy and paste but some people do without doing much research or buying any certificates.

I have gained far more by acting this way, and from genuine people received a copy a Will and photographs...the joy of seeing my rellie's from the early 1800's. In return I will share my certificates, pictures, and have just made someone's day in Australia by sending a Will to her that she didn't know existed ;D

I never used Hot matches until six months ago, and didn't notice the box was al;ready ticked for access to my Tree at first :-[, in the other sections you have to tick it yourself.

Maybe GR should make the automatic letters sound a little polite at least..... NOT, Can I see your Tree ::) or Not related. ::) etc. . It really does sound so rude >:(

Ambers

GLAMORGAN: Evans. Davies. Eddy. Bradnum.
GLAM to USA:Walter H Davies 1886.Thomas J 1852
PEMBROKE: Bradnum.Summers
CARMARTHENSHIRE:Davies. Jones
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.
DEVON:Mallett. Acford, Kidston.Short.Lover.Edwards,Telford.Sparrow
SOMERSET: Masey
CORNWALL:Eddy.Thomas Maddern.Harvey. Noy.Reynolds,Batten,Curtis.
Cornwall to USA: Thomas, Semmens. Oats
Warwickshire: Mountney

Offline Ros Fornaro

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 May 07 06:44 BST (UK) »
I have also had two people in the past week give me access to their trees and ask for mine.  I have asked if we have a common ancestor but no reply.  I don't give my tree without getting information in return.

Ros
Bell Coatbridge Sct
Cassels Dunbarton Lnk Sti Sct
Heggie Lnk Sct
Lusty Gls Eng Lnk Sct
McLuckie Stirling Sct
Moss Leek Sts Eng Vic Aust
Pride Gls Eng Geelong Vic Aust

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 May 07 07:04 BST (UK) »
I can see how it can be a problem, sad that we have to distrust some people though!

I have not had replies from a couple of people, how do I know whether they have looked at my tree or not (i have the box ticked)

How hard would it be for a setup to show that- 'X' has accessed your tree??

On the subject of GR, when I get my email stating that I have a message and then it states 'click here.."  Every time I click there my computer freezes.  Now I just close the email and check GR inbox. 
Does this happen to anyone else or is it my computer?

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline Lisa Harding

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 May 07 09:34 BST (UK) »
HI
Sorry, I am a lreative newbie to this forum and hope to be more active for all the fantastic information that you guys have access and the help you all sem to give each other. Hopefully I can share some of my knowledge too!

I have to ask though, what is this GR - is it another useful resource that is worth tapping into?
I would be happy to share my tree as i have over 800 names in it now and wouldnt mind using it as a resource to find other ancestors.

Thanks
lisa
Harding, Heritage, Humphries, Howard, Fowler, Day, Brind, Godliman, Mann

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 May 07 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,
welcome to Rootschat!

GR is GenesReunited.
It is a paying site, but reasonably cheap.
The general idea is that you put your tree up and GR find matches to other peoples tree, then you contact that person.
You may or may not allow access for that person to view your tree.  You can also do searches.

Hence the argument. ;D

Margaret