Author Topic: Give me access to your tree!!  (Read 9826 times)

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Give me access to your tree!!
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 08 May 07 22:53 BST (UK) »
HeatherB,

In "Shared Trees" try clicking on the name of the Ancestor ,rather than the Contact with only their name showing and Relative 1 on the box.

I have a similar contact and was somewhat annoyed until I followed the other path and found another tree with 357 rellies .

Spring
Dorset: Ackerman,Bungey,Bunter Chant,Hyle
Islington:Bedford, Eaton,Wilkins
Beds,Fulham: Brazier
Shoreditch: Burton,Coverdale
Essex ,Clerkenwell:Craswell,Cresswell
St.Lukes Middx:Doughty, Dunkley
Andover/IOW/Fulham:Gasser
Fulham: Neal
Bucks:Putnam,Wingrove
Bullwell.Notts:Wilkinson
Clerkenwell/Islington:Wyllie
Herts/ Tottenham/Walthamstow:Young

Offline Helina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Willow
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 07:48 BST (UK) »
Just come from genes, and I agree that the forum has changed.

But politeness does not.

I always make a point of replying even if there is no connection it only takes a moment.

I have had some good contacts, they last for awhile until they have obtained the required information.

Recently a contact and myself thought we had the same family, I than found out it was not so. She did not even acknowledge my last e-mail the moment she knew there was nothing for her, yet it was me looking up census etc she asking.

Well I have had my moan

I only keep my direct line on genes, my full on tribalpages.

I will say the most helpfull people have been from here, one sent me a personal e-mail and even though she had no connection she gave every assistance. Another member gave me her whole tree.

Well must stop moaning and carry on researching.

helina
Austin,Bistol
Coole,Bristol
Lewis, Bristol
Williams,Olveston
Howard,Bristol
Shepherd Admonsbury.
Tinney, Plymouth.
Ogborn,Bristol.
Blore.Derbyshire,Bristol,Redditch.
Richards,Bristol
Milson, Bitton
Harrison, Derbyshire
Census information Crown Copyright  from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 16:04 BST (UK) »
I've just had to renew my GenesReunited.  Had reservations, but it's worth the cost in the end.  I've had a lot recently of people contacting me about a family I'm clearly interested in and opening their trees to me.  When I look, they're not related at all to the people (the second husband of an great uncle's wife or something is in their tree, but for some reason it's fun to trace a completely irrelevant line to them back to the roots).  Frankly I don't see what satisfaction some people get about researching their Uncle Fred's second wife's brother's wifes grandmother and finding all they can out.  I thought it was 'family history', not 'someone else's family history'. ::)

Another thing, why oh why does it not let you delete people's parents from your tree on there?  Yeah it won't let you delete people who have two relations on there.  Oh thanks, great help.  So it means if I want to remove 2 people because of an error, I've got to go to the effort of exporting a new gedcom and uploading it rather than just clicking delete twice?  About as useful as sunglasses to a vampire. ::)
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Offline EcclesCake2003

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 16:17 BST (UK) »
  Hi Golding I had the same problem with Genes Reunited so now I do not

put my tree on there.

I have my own cd which I obtained and do all my tree on that.That way I can add and delete without any problems.

I make notes of any information I find or come across and add and delete at will.

Ecclescake.

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 17:02 BST (UK) »
This thread has got me curious again ... I just checked into GR, and found this as 'Hot Matches' with my family ...

John Williams 1834 Wick, Gloucestershire 
Florence Monk 1922 Edmonton, London 
Alice Chadwick 1910 Old Waterfoot, Haslingden, Lancashire 
George Tidswell 1909 Haslingden, Lancashire 
Frances Allen 1861 Parowan, Iron, Utah, USA 
Henry Williams 1889 Chewton, Keynsham, Somerset

I DO have a John Williams ... but he was born in 1839, in Dorset

I DO have a Henry Williams ... born 1883, in Hampshire

But who are the rest of these people ?  I have no idea how the GR programme works, but to give me six people I've never heard of as people on MY tree ... is amazing, and frankly, quite annoying and time wasing. 

Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hello again

I think the GR computer program just "grabs" people's names at random and then send them out randomly too and maybe 1 in 10,000 is a match.

Liz

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 17:40 BST (UK) »
I have to say, I've never had any problems with random names generated on my hot matches. All the people named high on my hot matches list are people that share a branch of my tree. It does annoy me a bit though that it lists every single person who has one name match with you.
If it's just one name it's unlikely to be a match. Hot matches should be 3 matches and up or something like that.
Erin  :)

Offline Helina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Willow
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 18:37 BST (UK) »
tonniemags, I have found if you delete the children except 1, you can delete the parents

helina
Austin,Bistol
Coole,Bristol
Lewis, Bristol
Williams,Olveston
Howard,Bristol
Shepherd Admonsbury.
Tinney, Plymouth.
Ogborn,Bristol.
Blore.Derbyshire,Bristol,Redditch.
Richards,Bristol
Milson, Bitton
Harrison, Derbyshire
Census information Crown Copyright  from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 19:38 BST (UK) »

I've had a lot recently of people contacting me about a family I'm clearly interested in and opening their trees to me.  When I look, they're not related at all to the people (the second husband of an great uncle's wife or something is in their tree, but for some reason it's fun to trace a completely irrelevant line to them back to the roots).   

Hi  sgolding

I might be a bit guilty of that as I do sometimes contact people right on the far edges of my tree either because I have a missing person and think that maybe they may be staying with a cousin or something - you never know OR more generally just to say hello and if they have anyone missing I might be able to help.  I don't generally open up my tree though - just tell them I'm there and leave it at that.

I did contact a distant person once and she replied and was able to tell me what happened to my great grandmother's brother's family... because the two trees linked in the middle at that point....which was quite interesting as they are a bit of a mystery.

I wouldn't want to start researching right down their line though...but each to their own I guess. ;D

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk