Author Topic: Colch ex Tullamore  (Read 42640 times)

Offline arana 80

• RootsChat Extra
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Colch ex Tullamore
« on: Wednesday 09 May 07 06:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

I wonder if some kind person can add to my knowledge of the Colch family, I have Thomas Colch married to Mary Sheeran (no dates) they had three children Marguerite, Thomas b. 1847 Tullamore and George who came to Queensland, Australia.
Thomas Colch married Bridget Doud (Dowd) of Galway in Maryborough, Queensland on the 12 Feb 1876. They had eight sons and one daughter.
Would like to learn something of their former life in Ireland.

Best Wishes
Arana80   

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Colch ex Tullamore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 November 07 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Just been having a quick look at the IGI and noticed some sparce info that you may already have picked up yourself.  The records have spelt Mary's maiden name as Sherin and the children as Margaret who married John Hanifin 16/12/1867 in Qld and died 8/11/1868.........George married Ellen Fallon 24/11/1878 in Qld..........Thomas d.30/9/1921 in Kilkivan Qld.............and Ann Colch b.1831 in Ireland, m.1854 to George Lamb, d.19/5/1914 at Taroom Qld and burried in the local cemetery. It maybe a coincidence but my g/grandfather Patrick Ryan married a Mary Lamb (1851-1891) from Tullamore. Alan Ryan.
RYAN-Atkinson-Mallison-elsworth-Widdowson-Davis-Threapleton-Bolderson-Sagar.. IRELAND-Bradford-Bingley-Fewston-Barnsley-Ecclesfield-Doncaster-Wakefield-Kendal

Offline arana 80

• RootsChat Extra
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 November 07 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Just been having a quick look at the IGI and noticed some sparce info that you may already have picked up yourself.  The records have spelt Mary's maiden name as Sherin and the children as Margaret who married John Hanifin 16/12/1867 in Qld and died 8/11/1868.........George married Ellen Fallon 24/11/1878 in Qld..........Thomas d.30/9/1921 in Kilkivan Qld.............and Ann Colch b.1831 in Ireland, m.1854 to George Lamb, d.19/5/1914 at Taroom Qld and burried in the local cemetery. It maybe a coincidence but my g/grandfather Patrick Ryan married a Mary Lamb (1851-1891) from Tullamore. Alan Ryan.

Thanks Alan, yes I have those names and dates. I have names and birth dates for George Colch & Ellen Fallon's children nothing further on them.
Thomas who died in Kilkivan I have all his descendants.
I'm still looking for birthdates for Margaret & George Colch and any info relating to the family back in Ireland.
Arana80

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 November 07 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Arana,

What denomination were your Colch and Sheeran ancestors?

There's no mention of either name in the Irish Flax Growers list of 1796.

Christopher

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 November 07 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Arana, the reason I latched on to your post is that I put an almost identical post on line 2 weeks ago and a very helpful and knowledgable "Aghadowey" put me right. She told me to order the Parochial Registers of Tullamore (Offaly) 1801-1881 (FHL British Film 926186) from a local LDS family history centre. The centres and library contents are listed on the "familysearch" site. I'm now waiting for LDS to come back to me when they have the film, so that I can ride up to Pontefract and study it. I don't know how easy it will be to use it (first time 'n' all) but I could keep my eye open for your lot whilst I'm searching if you want. Idealy though if you have a local centre you could order it and spend as much time as you like on it and then expand to other areas if needed. Alan.
RYAN-Atkinson-Mallison-elsworth-Widdowson-Davis-Threapleton-Bolderson-Sagar.. IRELAND-Bradford-Bingley-Fewston-Barnsley-Ecclesfield-Doncaster-Wakefield-Kendal

Offline arana 80

• RootsChat Extra
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 November 07 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alan, Thanks once again for your assistance, those Parochial Registers sound very promising and, yes I have a LDS centre about a ten minute car drive away so I will be placing an order to view one first thing tomorrow (Monday). Regards from sunny Queensland.
Arana

Offline arana 80

• RootsChat Extra
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 November 07 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Christopher -  The Colch & Sheeran,s were Roman Catholic.
I have received information that in 1854 there were three Colch Families and between 1847 - 1867 there were two Sheeran families, interesting but, not enough to know where they woud fit into a family tree.
Regards Arana

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 November 07 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alan, Thanks once again for your assistance, those Parochial Registers sound very promising and, yes I have a LDS centre about a ten minute car drive away so I will be placing an order to view one first thing tomorrow (Monday). Regards from sunny Queensland.
Arana
You can check LDS catalogue online at www.familysearch.org to see whether or not they hold microfilmed copies of the church records you are looking for.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 November 08 21:28 GMT (UK) »
(by kind permission of Noel Farrell)Sheeran Tullamore 1902 census 'Tullamore
Roots'.

Colehill;
Patrick & Mary; Mary, Thomas, Robert, Patrick

Killeigh;
Catherine, Elizabeth.

(10) Wheelwright lane;
Colch
Thomas & Mary; Patrick, Michael, Thomas, Maryanne

1911 census;
Cloncon;
Colch; Margaret, Thomas, Joseph,

1901 Cloncon; Colsh Patrick & Kate
                        Colsh Margaret, Thomas, Joseph, Maryanne

Puttaghan;
Colch Thomas & Catherine; William, Patrick, Annie. (tailor)

Jack