Author Topic: Colch ex Tullamore  (Read 42668 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Colch ex Tullamore
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 April 11 20:43 BST (UK) »
A possible Colsh/Colch marriage from the BMD index :

Name: Thomas Colsh
 Registration district: Tullamore
 Event type: Marriage
 Year: 1865
 Volume : 8 / Page : 543

Name: Catherine Gavin
 [same references as Thomas]

There is a marriage of a Thomas Colch in 1871 in the same area, but have not found a cross match for that..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 15 April 11 20:56 BST (UK) »
here's a possible for the 1871 marriage :

Name: Thomas Colch
 Registration district:   Tullamore
 Event type: Marriage
 Year: 1871
 Volume : 13 / Page: 527

Name:   Anne Tyrrell
 [same references as Thomas]

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 15 April 11 21:10 BST (UK) »
Based on extracted births of children there are three couples with a Thomas Colsh in the Tullamore area at the time. One of the Thomas's couple may have have remarried.

Here are the children I found for the three couples :

Couple 1 (possible 1st marriage of Thomas-a)

Joseph Colsh / 20 Jun 1864 / Tullamore, Kings Co. / Ref 745
  Mary Anne Colsh / 21 Aug 1867 / King's Co.
   Parents: Thomas Colsh & Margaret Brady

Couple 2 (possible 2nd marriage for Thomas-a)

John Colsh / 11 Aug 1872 / Tullamore, Kings Co. / Ref 706
    Parents : Thomas Colsh & Anne Tyrrell

Couple 3 (marriage for Thomas-b)

Thomas Colsh / 01 May 1867 /King's Co.
  Margaret Colsh / 16 Apr 1870 / King's Co.
  William Colsh / 29 May 1872 / Tullamore, Kings Co.
  Catherine Colsh / 03 Sep 1875 / Kings  Co.
  Patrick Joseph Colsh / 20 Sep 1880 / Tullamore
    Parents : Thomas Colsh & Catherine Gavin/Gaven/Gavan

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline JMallinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 April 11 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Many thanks for your help.
My family connection is with the Thomas Colsh who married Catherine Gavan in 1965. Since I am just starting to research my Irish side I have been using largely Census 1901 and 1911 information and assumption. Only William and Patrick, as well as my grandmother Annie, were referred to in 1901. Their ages led me to believe T & C were married later. Also great to know of the births of Thomas and Margaret before William, also Catherine after him. My grandmother Annie was born 1888/9.
I was hoping to identify brothers and/or sisters of Thomas, the father, as well as his mother and father.
Another approach indentified by your data is to find where Catherine and Margaret went or who they married.

Early/mid 19th c BDM information is essential if I am to progress. Is it easily available and where can it be accessed? Hope you can help.

Thanks to all for bearing with me as a novice at this intriguing game. John

Where can I access BDM information

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 April 11 13:15 BST (UK) »
All the details came from the familysearch website - this incudes several different useful Irish collections :

1. Irish BMD Index - which allows you to search for the references needed to order full certs from the GRO.

2. Extracted birth, marriage and death collections. These include more details than the index , but not as much information as a full cert. These include many (but not all) records from the start of civil registration, up to about 1880.

see this topic for links : Introduction to Irish Records

To identify siblings of Thomas you would need to start with his marriage to establish his father's name and occupation (details needed to order a cert mentioned in reply #18). Once you have this you could try to search for his baptism (since it will be before the start of civil registration), and once you have both parents follow up by searching for any siblings.

You could also try searching for other Colch/Colsh marriages in the area to see if any have the same details for the father... in which case you have a sibling.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline EMMIEMARTIN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 01:02 BST (UK) »
hi my name is emma martin from tullamore offaly,my relatives are colshs.my grandmother was kitty colsh(kate),my grandfather was john martin.my grand uncle was mick(micksy)colsh and christy colsh,my great grandmother was known as nana colsh,i now live and own the house where they grew up,there were two colsh families living side by side and still do to this day.they're alot of colshs in tullamore,maryanne,annie,kathleen,micheal,the list goes on.the stones/colsh the martins/colsh.hope it helps

Offline EMMIEMARTIN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 01:12 BST (UK) »
nana died a few years back she was 97,got to meet her but not my grandmother.nana was born in around 1897 or close and think there was mention of tyrell,will have to look into it.my grandmother died when my dad was young(kitty) and my grandfather remarried(marykate)who is still alive.my dad would not leave the colsh house which he grew up in so my nana raised him(his granny)i love this house because it was where my father was raised and my grandparents and great grand parents lived,lots of stories.

Offline EMMIEMARTIN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 01:19 BST (UK) »
there is a mention of puttaghaun we live in callary street on the puttaghaun road.my mothers sister (by word of mouth)emigrated to america,i've searched for her with no luck.found photos of her in the house when i moved in,she was so pretty.her name was annie colsh.people said she married an italian.

Offline JMallinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Emmie,
Looks like your family are related to the Thomas Colsh who married Anne Tyrell and then Margaret Brady and lived in Cloncon. I was hoping that there was a link to Thomas Colsh who married Catherine Gavan (Gavin) and lived in Puttaghan. He was my great grand father. I think that louislou 225 is probably right - the Thomases could be cousins, both marrying within 5 years of each other. Crucially, to verify that link I need to find out the names of the siblings of Thomas and/or of William, his father. Uptil now I have been unsuccessful.
Thomas and Catherine were marred in 1865 and  had 7 children, Thomas, Margaret, William, Catherine, Patrick, Elizabeth and Annie, my grandmother. She moved to Scotland in 1902/3 after my great grandfather Thomas's death in 1902. Thomas, my great grandfather was born around 1832 in Tullamore.