Author Topic: Maulden Parish Records - ARNOLD  (Read 2490 times)

Offline toeknee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maulden Parish Records - ARNOLD
« on: Wednesday 09 May 07 11:03 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find records of Robert Arnold b1811c Maulden
In the 1851 census he is described as a Master miller - wife Mary. Living Doolittle Mill Ampthill.
I can find no trace of him in 1841 census and Brisbane is a long way from the parish of Maulden.
Can anyone help? Tony

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maulden Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

Welcome to Rootschat

Virtually all of Beds baptisms and marriages pre 1812 have been extracted onto the IGI at www.familysearch.org, so distance is no bar

There's an entry in 1811 at Maulden for Robert Arnold but it's not an extract from the parish register, but a member submission which are VERY unreliable.

I've checked the transcript of the parish register and cannot see it so it seems as though it might be a figment of someone's imagination. Alternatively the family may have been non-conformist and this baptism has been found in a non-conformist register which is not on the IGI.

In 1841 the entry is very faint and the Ancestry index does not have a surname - he's just down as Robert, but still living at Doolittle Mill, Ampthill Robert Arnold 25 miller, Mary 25, Mary 3 Harriett 1, all born in Beds. HO107/6/1 folio 4B

You have a Family History Centre of the LDS in Brisbane where you can order and view films of parish registers, so you don't need to go to Maulden

Regards

David

PS The IGI has a marriage in Maulden on 14 Feb 1806 between William Arnold and Sarah Chappel(l) which again is a member submission. However this one does appear in the parish register transcript
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline toeknee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 May 07 03:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you David you have saved me a long trip.I am quite new at all this and  IGI records LDS do not mean much to me is there somewhere that I can find out how to research these records.Sorry to be so stupid but at 70 I is a little bit harder to get into  than at an earlier age. Tony

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 May 07 07:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

If you use the http://www.familysearch.org link they have a good research guidance section, which explains a lot about Englsih records. The site is run by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (the Mormons) part of whose religion involves baptising their ancestors into the church, hence their interest in genealogy. The International Genealogical Index (IGI) can be found on the same site and is a collection of baptisms and marriages. Be warned though - quality can vary depending on the type of entry. Some are desribed as member submissions which are very unreliable, but extracted records are reliable.

Good luck

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 May 07 15:37 BST (UK) »
Tony

You will find a bit of background info on Robert ARNOLD @ the Beds Archives search site http://blars.adlibsoft.com/form.html

It may be worth emailing the Bedfordshire archivist to see if there is a Will from a Maulden ARNOLD? 

If you search in the HISTORICAL DIRECTORIES [which are trade directories & free online] you may find info too?

cathy
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline toeknee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 May 07 01:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you Cathy I will look there. Tony