Author Topic: Birth Certificates - COMPLETED THANKYOU  (Read 3570 times)

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Birth Certificates - COMPLETED THANKYOU
« on: Friday 03 December 04 19:46 GMT (UK) »
I recently acquired a birth certificate (from 1852) through a third party, but it is different to the others I have in that it is hand written, not photocopied from the register onto a certificate, like the others I have sent for. Is this normal? Why would it be hand written by one of the current registrars instead of being photocopied from the original entries. I prefer to be able to translate myself, not rely on someone elses interpretation.

Catherine
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Certificates
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 December 04 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Catherine,

It may be quite simple: the quality of the photocopy may have been illegible, no matter how hard they tried to reproduce it.  The original may be in poor condition rendering a mechanical copy impossible.  In this case, you have what everybody got in the days before they had photocopiers- yet another transcription, and maybe compounding earlier errors.  I have at least one certificate like this.  While it may not be the same, it is better than a completely unreadable scan for which you have paid good money.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrs noah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Certificates
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 December 04 10:51 GMT (UK) »
 I agree totally with what you say.
Far from being not acceptable a hand written certificate is always interesting. If the details are not what you think they ought to be ring the registrar and have them check.They are usually most helpful and will often send you a photo copy of your querie.

never disregard any information whether it is hand written or photo copied.

Mrs Noah.
On the canals...Turton, Wood, Mann,Cartwright, Neale, Grainger, Littlemore, Taylor. etc
Black country ancestors.... Beesley, Tranter, Fellows Barker, Perry, Evans, Glover.
also researching Birtwisle and Darby.