Author Topic: Wilsons of Dunfanaghy, Donegal, Ireland  (Read 18967 times)

Offline WWWilson

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilsons of Dunfanaghy, Donegal, Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 19:05 BST (UK) »
Not sure if we're related but I'm looking for info about James & Jane Wilson and brother Nathaniel. James was born 1825 and married Jane Gallagher in 1849. I found this online but can't find anything in Ireland.

WILSON
"From History of Scott County, Iowa 1882 Chicago: Interstate Publishing Co."

James Wilson, farmer and stock-raiser, Le Claire, Iowa, was born in Donegal, Ireland, in 1825, and came to the United States in 1855 and located in Le Claire Township, where he has followed farming since. In 1849 married Jane Galligher; she was born in Ireland. There was a family of 13 children, nine of whom are living, viz.: William, Susan, Nathaniel, Thomas, Sarah J., Andrew, John, Margaret and Mary E. Mrs. Wilson died in 1872. She was a member of Seceeders church. Mr. Wilson has 320 acres of land valued at $75 per acre in Le Claire Township, and 160 acres in Poweshick Co., Iowa, valued at $35. Nathaniel Wilson, deceased, a brother of James Wilson, was born in the same county; came to Scott County in an early day and was among the earliest settlers of the county. Through the influence of Nathaniel, the large family of James Wilson was induced to come to this county and settle in Le Claire Township. Nathaniel Wilson at his death had accumulated a fine property. He died in 1878.

Offline Austin765

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 May 12 22:54 BST (UK) »
Orville Wilson (d Jan 16, 2010) was my cousin.  We were collaborating over our family line.  I seem to have come to an impasse in my research.  One road on my research shows my great-great grandfather (Matthew Wilson) to be born in Donegal Ireland in 1811.  Another road shows Matthew to be born here in New Brunswick, Canada in 1811.  I have located a Census of New Brunswick (1851) showing Matthew to be in Stilesville, Westmorland County, New Brunswick at the age of 41 yrs.

Obviously, one of these roads is incorrect.  Does anyone know for sure where he was born and how did he end up here in New Brunswick 40 years later?  Also, could you please identify his parents and any potential siblings. 

I do have his local genealogy from his marriage to Margaret Lutz (Lutes) on 13 Dec 1832, and they produced 9 children via that union.  I would be delighted to share notes and fill in the blanks for my (hopefully) soon to be extended family.

Offline freddiethedogbob

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello anyone listening, reading.  I am in the middle of my family tree, and finding it incredibly addictive but also frustrating....things just don't make sense, dates out of kilter, names not as I knew them...maybe it's me or just an Irish thing!  Anyway, I'm Gail - Stuart is my cousin, Freddie's son and they remain in Dunfanaghy.  My Dad was Thomas Reid Wilson dob 2.9.1918, sadly died in 2007.  Anyway, Fredrick Sr was my Uncle, I only met him twice and on both occasions I was smitten, such a gentle soul.  I was so excited when I came across this site, and I hope people still look at it now and then.  If I have come across any answers to questions posed, I will respond, but at the moment, just trying to finish off, my mum and dads sides, which I will pass on to my brothers, when I'm finished, hopefully in time for Christmas. Any further information on Wilson's from Dunfanaghy would be most helpful.
Best Wishes

Gail

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Gail, but it's not allowed to post details of living people and personal details such as your date of birth (all for your own protection since information is so readily found online now-a-days and google can pick up  psots in minutes).

Just go back to your post, click on 'modify' button, remove the details you need to, then click on 'save.'

You haven't really explained what you are asking for help with so it would be a good idea (without mentioning living people, etc.) to explain what we can help you with.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dwaynemilp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 February 14 19:20 GMT (UK) »
deeryKeeghanwilson

Colin Wilson
For some reason I cannot respond to your replay.
I have my cousin's email address and you could contact him for details of the DNA testing.
I will link him (Jim Wilson) to this site and see if he can respond (he is in North Carolina).

Regards
Dwayne Meyer
California USA

Offline Marilyn_Warburt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Vickie and others
I just put a search in for my great grandmothers family and up comes her parents names. She was Annie Wilson the daughter of Jane Clark and William Wilson. She married James Boyd of Carrickfin and they had my grandfather and a lot of others mainly sons. Most of them except 3 came here to New Zealand.  I once wrote to a Freddie Wilson in Hornhead and he sent me a neat poem he wrote
which I still have.
I always thought that Janes mother was Molly Connelly but maybe that was Williams.

Look forward to hearing from you
Marilyn

Offline maireag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 December 17 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marilyn and Gail above. 

Been so long since I've logged in here, I forgot I had registered already.  And I can't tell when you've left your posts it could have been years ago. 

Anyway, Marilyn you said "I always thought that Janes mother was Molly Connelly but maybe that was Williams."  This caught my attention because I am ALWAYS looking for anyone with information on the Connelly's of Horn Head. 

But Yes, Mary Connelly and James Clarke were the parents of Jane Clarke who married William Wilson in the Horn Head, Dunfanaghy.  William Wilson and Jane had a dghter Annie Elizabeth Wison who married James Boyd and they had a crop of children. 

Am very curious of how you know of "Molly Connelly".  Also to Gail I am also a cousin to the Wilson's of Dunfanaghy, would love to talk more somehow. 

Offline Marilyn_Warburt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 December 17 00:06 GMT (UK) »

Hi There Vickie

I know of Molly Connelly from a letter Freddie Wilson wrote to me when I asked about Annie Wilsons parents.as i mentioned Annie Eliza was my great grandmother, her son James (Jimmy) my grandfather. I would love to know more about the Connellys too and the Clarkes Wilsons etc.
Most of Annie Wilson and James Boyd snrs family came to Kaikoura New Zealand(pronounced KYKORA) look forward to hearing from you

Offline maireag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 December 17 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marilyn,

re: Clarkes and Boyd's

This is actually "Lisa" (maireag) not Vickie, she was a previous post. 

I think I may actually have you on my family tree, LOL, from Nola Waghorn's book. 

But anyway I would love to connect with you, do you know how we can exchange emails since we are not allowed to post them here?  I'll snoop around this site and see if there is a way

Lisa