Author Topic: look up londonderry  (Read 2175 times)

Offline joanna dot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
look up londonderry
« on: Friday 11 May 07 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi I am joanna and I am wondering if it is possible to get on to the 1901 census in derry ,the trouble is I dont have the district in derry ,all I have is a name anthony aloysuis doherty ,he was born 7/2/1899 ,I think the family had something to do with the linen factories but seems to have lost it all ,half of the family went to canada and some stayed in ireland ,anthony came to england and settled in liverpool he married but dont know whether it was here or ireland ,I think his wifes name was charlotte but dont have her last name .I know I am asking an awful lot of you but I would be very grateful for any help you can give me ,,thank you for all the help and info you have given me in the past ,      thank you    :)  joanna

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: look up londonderry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 May 07 21:22 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately Doherty (and its variants) is one of the most common surnames in Derry city and county and many people in Derry were connected in some way to the linen industry. It would be fantastic if the 1901 census was indexed with at least head of household name but it's just a matter of looking through reels of microfilm if you don't have an address, district or townland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 May 07 08:39 BST (UK) »
Joanna

If you get Anthony's birth certificate, his parents' address in 1899 may well be shown. This will then be a guide to where to start searching the 1901 Census.

Adrian
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline joanna dot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 May 07 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey  & Kintree Thank you for replying to my lookup request for the Doherty family in Derry ,I know I was asking a lot .I have heard that Anthony had 3 first names the second one was Aloysuis I have to find the third one .
Where would I write to regarding his birth cert,, being born in Derry and how do you get on to the 1901 census for that county.I have tried the census for England but couldn"t find anything ,also they have 1911 census in Ireland would they have it in N/I as well but how do you get onto that census from England?I am all questions aren"t I ,but you are all so nice and helpful and have been in the past I am just grateful for any help you can give me .
      Thank you all once again for your time and effort you put into the requests for us all  :) :)         Joanna dot  :D

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 May 07 14:21 BST (UK) »
Joanna dot

http://www.groireland.ie/docs/BirthsEnglishAppform.pdf

As you don't need a certificate, you should apply for a photocopy of the register.

Census of Ireland is not yet online. You can apply to the National Archives, Dublin, for a photocopy once you know an address.

Adrian
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline joanna dot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 May 07 15:12 BST (UK) »
thank you Adrian for your prompt reply ,I will get in touch with them and let you know how I get on .will the copy have on where he was born and his parents names and where they lived?

Thanks for that info Adrian  :) :)  Joanna dot

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 May 07 16:50 BST (UK) »
will the copy have on where he was born and his parents names and where they lived?

Census will list everyone in household (and relationship to head of household), age (not birthdate) and county of birth (not actual place). The townland or street address will be part of the census information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline joanna dot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 May 07 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Adrian  thanks again ,I am going to try and get Anthony"s birth cert from the address you sent me and get a photo copy of it so I hope I get his parents names on it ,and the town where he was born ,I will let you know how I get on ,Thanks again for all your info . :) ;)    Joanna dot