Author Topic: Descendant's of William "Remember" Orr  (Read 36585 times)

Offline MegP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Descendant's of William "Remember" Orr
« on: Saturday 04 December 04 08:13 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to establish whether the family story that my great grandmother, Rachel White (?nee Orr) was a descendant of William Orr is true. She appears to have been married and probably was born in New South Wales. She does not seem to be related to Hugh Harrison Orr who was a solicitor in Sydney  and definitely an Orr relative. Does anyone know of others interested in this tree?

Cheers

Megan in Sydney, Australia
Researching  Phelps, Millard, Orr and Sloane.

Offline MegP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Descendant's of William "Remember" Orr
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 December 04 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Please excuse the possessive apostrophe in the subject line; not sure what "possessed me" to put that in. William Orr of Farranshane, County Antrim, was hung at Carrickfergus on 14 October 1797 for breach of the Insurrection Act.

Regards

Megan

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 December 04 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Megan - not this William Orr? I know the one who was executed had 5 children by the way but this one is a very colourful Orr.
http://web.archive.org/web/20080517034202/http://www.island.net/~rjbw/OrrPapers.html

Moderator Comment: Link updated 2014
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MegP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 December 04 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Although this relative of the William Orr who was hung passed through Australia I don't believe he had any children here. He and his wife, Ellen Killeen, didn't have any any children. I have the book by Robert Foy mentioned in this article, but still can't make the connection to my own family.

Yes, I mean the William Orr who had five children at the time of his death, and a  sixth born postumously.

Regards

Megan

Offline Jena

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searching for my ain folk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 December 04 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Megan, Just a little bit of information for you on William Orr of Farranshane.My husband lived in William's house Farranshane during the war 1940-1945.His father's uncle was married to William's great grandaughter Martha.We went home for a holiday a couple of years ago and visited William's grave at Templepatrick.We then went to see Faranshane.My husband showed me the entrance to the underground cave that they used for their get away to Donegore in those days.The old man who is the owner remembered my husband as a boy.
Actually William Orr's sword is in Australia.
                                                          Regards Jena
Lucas, Fisher,  - Lincolnshire
Lock, Shepherd -  Lancashire
McDonald,Murdoch,Shepherd - Northern Ireland
Finlay, Gordon, Watt, Anderson- Scotland

Offline MegP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 December 04 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jena

How wonderful to have been able to see that bit of history at Farranshane! I haven't seen any photographs of the buildings in recent years. I now have my great grandmother's death certificate and have confirmed that her mother was a Jane Orr. I am waiting on her death certificate to see if that assists. Do you know where in Australia Willim Orr's sword is held?

Regards

Megan

Offline Jena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 December 04 05:19 GMT (UK) »
Megan, if you send me your e-mail address by PM I will forward you on photographs of William's grave. His old house,(Farranshane) that my husband lived in during the war. Also the new home that was built, and the entrance to the cave.
                    Regards Jena

Offline Jena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 December 04 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Got your  e-mail address Megan,will look the photographs out and send them soon.
                                                              Jena

Offline stwrt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 20:19 GMT (UK) »

Megan
                  My name is Gillian Stewart. I have just started to research my tree on
                  My fathers side to be told that my G Grandma came from Ireland But
                  which part is unknown. All my grandfather can tell us is that she came
                  abt 1918 but talking which given her B/day according to my grandfather
                  was either the 12 or 24 Nov 1901. which would have made her 17/18
                  yrs old, but according to my uncle (dads older bro) she was 15yrs old
                   when arrived in Scotland. Her name is Mary Orr she Married a William
                  Stewart from Lanarkshire Scotland If this rings any bells with your Orr's
                  Could you let me Know.

Thanks for your time on reading this
                                                           Gillian Stewart & family