Author Topic: Descendant's of William "Remember" Orr  (Read 36789 times)

Offline Joe G

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Descendant's of William "Remember" Orr
« Reply #36 on: Monday 09 May 16 18:25 BST (UK) »
I am searching for relatives to my gt-gt-gt Grandfather, Joseph Orr and his daughter Jane. I have no idea where Joseph was born but family legend has it that he was a relative (brother, cousin, it's not clear) of William Orr, so Co.Antrim is  the most likely place. Following William's execution in 1797 he  moved south to the area around Roscrea, Co. Tipperary. Roscrea is just miles from both Kings County (Co. Laois) and Queens County (County Offaly so his domicile could have been in either of 3 counties), his daughter Jane married Matthew Coughlan (or Coghlan) not once but twice, first in St. Cronan's C of I and the following day in St. Cronan's R.C. church. Their daughter Anne Coughlan was born around 1825.  Can anyone help me with my search, please??

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 23 May 16 14:34 BST (UK) »
If you are interested in Orrs in Co. Antrim I can recommend Donald Harman Akenson & W.H. Crawford "Local Poets and Social History: James Orr, Bard of Ballycarry", published in 1977 by PRONI.

James Orr was born in 1770 at Broad Island, Co. Antrim, and was a United Irishman as well as a folk-poet, writing his poems in broad Ulster Scots dialect. After the events of 1798 he escaped to America but returned to Ireland after an amnesty was declared. He settled at Ballycarry in Templecorran parish, Co. Antrim, and devoted the rest of his short life to writing poetry and drinking.

It's thought that Orr's parents were David Orr and Jane Catherwood of Broad Island, and if that's the case, James Orr fits into the Orr Pedigrees, a massive handwritten MS of Orr family-trees, mainly in Co. Down but also Antrim, which is kept in the Linen Hall library in Belfast. The MS was turned into a privately printed book by an American genealogist called Ray A. Jones and I have a copy.

James Orr of Ballycarry looks like a 4th cousin of my 3 x great-grandfather Archibald Petticrew, an Orr descendant who became a joiner in Belfast.

I don't know if William Orr who is the subject of this thread fits into the above-mentioned extended Orr family-tree, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't.

Harry

Offline brisvegas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Joe,
The 1821 census returns for the area still exists, Joseph is a steward living at Dungar Park with his wife Eliza and their children including Jane, the age given puts his birthdate around 1779. Matthew's family can also be found on the census returns, living at Killavilla (not sure if this is the correct spelling). Jane and Matthew married twice presumably because she was protestant and he was catholic. Under the reign of George II catholic marriage ceremonies were not recognised as legal for protestants, thus to legalise Jane's marriage and legitimise her subsequent children it was necessary for a protestant church service first. I have not been able to find anymore about the Orrs, though I did come across a Constable Joseph Orr around Clonmel, who was sentenced to 3 months hard labour for common assault in March 1840 (reported in the newspapers). Its unclear if this is the same person, I have not as yet come across a death for him, so I am not sure whether he stayed in the area or returned to the north. Hope this is of some help.

Michaela

Offline Antrimite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 16 June 17 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone.  I live in Antrim and have photos of William Orrs grave.  There is an Alley Orr and a Frank Orr Mulligan on the headstone along with a William Orr plaque.  Alley Orr died 1791, Frank died 1962.

Offline Joe G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Descendant's of William "Remember" Orr
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 20 July 17 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
My g-g-g grandmother was Jane Orr, daughter of Joseph Orr who was (we have always believed) a son, a brother or at least a 1st cousin of William Orr, United Irishman hanged. She comes into my family history when she married my g-g-g-grandfather Martin Coughlan, of Roscrea in County Tipperary, Ireland. I have a copy of their marriage certificates, plural not singular because they married twice on successive days, first in the St. Cronan's Anglican church and the following day in St. Cronan's RC church. We have been told that Jane (and possibly her father) left Antrim after the execution of William. If anyone can shed any light on Joseph and his relationship to Joseph I would be very grateful. I understand Jane is buried near Roscrea and hope to identify a the graveyard and maybe even find a headstone over the next few weeks.
Gantly, Dublin, Ireland.

P.S. I never knew the origin of the name ORR: is it true that the English outlawed the name McGregor and many of those of that clan changed their names to Orr.  Difficult and independently-minded lot those Scots Presbyterians...thank God!   "Remember Orr!"   

Offline orrjust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 16 March 18 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

One of my ancestors was Joseph Orr.  He emigrated to Australia in 1840.  This emigration record states that he was from Roscrea in Tipperary.  I cannot find any information about Joseph and his family in Roscrea, so I thought I'd check here.

Has anyone come across this Joseph Orr in their research?  He was probably born around 1817.  He married a Priscilla (not sure of maiden name) prior to leaving for Australia in 1840.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
Justin Orr

Offline orrjust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 16 March 18 03:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

One of my ancestors was Joseph Orr.  He immigrated to Australia in 1840.  This immigration record states that he was from Roscrea in Tipperary.  I cannot find any information about Joseph and his family in Roscrea, so I thought I'd check here.

Has anyone come across this Joseph Orr in their research?  He was probably born around 1817.  He married a Priscilla (not sure of maiden name – perhaps Wail?) prior to leaving for Australia in 1840.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
Justin Orr

Offline Joe G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Descendant's of William "Remember" Orr
« Reply #43 on: Friday 16 March 18 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Justin Orr, from your brief message, I'm fairly sure we are related. My father's family is from Roscrea, Co. Tipperary, both his parents were born there My grandfather, Joseph Gantly was a grandson of Jane Orr, daughter of Joseph Orr. There were not to many 'Jane Orrs, daughter of Joseph Orr' in Roscrea. Jane Married my G-G-grandfather Matthew Coughlan in 1829, he was born approx 1803.  I spent some time last year looking for their graves in Dungar which is the townland associated with Joseph. There was also a Jane Orr living in Roscrea in 1901, may have been the same lady but she was unusually elderly if it is the same Jane. (*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least two postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

. I look forward to hearing from you. Joe Gantly

Offline LRL20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 25 February 19 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Samuel Orr, William Orr’s brother, is my 5th GG father.
Growing up, I was never especially attached to my Irish Ancestry. It’s been only in adulthood and loss that alive taken up an active interest in genealogy, especially my families after the passing of all the grandparents and great aunts and uncles. It’s been a fascinating trip into the past!