Author Topic: Descendant's of William "Remember" Orr  (Read 36738 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Descendant's of William "Remember" Orr
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi LRL,

What do you know about Samuel Orr?  Who died he marry, where did he end up?

Gilby

Offline LRL20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi LRL,

What do you know about Samuel Orr?  Who died he marry, where did he end up?

Gilby

Do mean Samuel Orr, Williams father? Or Samuel, Williams brother? Samuel Sr died in Ireland. Williams brother Samuel left Ireland with his family (wife Mary Redmond) and immigrated to Canada, which is where he remained until death. His children split between Canada and the United States. Some of them went back and fourth in residence, it looks like.
The Orr men very much liked passing their names down to their sons. It gets confusing with so many Samuel’s (and later, Hugh and Gaylord, repeated several times). Much easier if you can look at it in tree format so you can follow the lines. Whew!

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 28 February 19 20:33 GMT (UK) »
If you've got information on them both then I'm interested both!  How do you know Samuel Orr who married Mary Redmond was the brother of William "Remember" Orr?

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 21 December 19 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,
I currently live at Farranshane and have seen an old sketch in a book about William Orr of his house before it was destroyed. I cannot see where the house would have been sited, but I see in this link Jena's husband used to live there, and provided some old photographs of the house. My great Uncle Sydney Mongomery moved to the farm circa 1953 (I am guessing after previous Orr's moved to Australia??) I would love someone to provide a photo of the old house so I can establish where it was sited. Can anyone help?
I cannot confirm if the old house was demolished to make way for the new one or it is actually one of the old farm outbuildings converted into a barn?

R. H. Foy's book Remembering All the Orrs has a photo of your house with the caption, "Farranshane 1999.  William Orr's old home survives only as part of an out-house behind the present-day home of Sydney Montgomery."

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 21 December 19 11:52 GMT (UK) »
I don't think anyone has posted the extract from William Fee McKinney's notebooks (T1013/2B p347) before so here it is:

Alley Orr d. 26 Jan 1791 aged 51

William Orr born 1766 died 14 Oct 1797
Isabella Greer born 1768
married August 1788

Samuel Orr born 2 Jun 1789, married Martha Wilson, died 19 Jul 1824
Jane Orr born 17 Mar 1791, married George Sloan
John Orr born 16 Feb 1793, married Eliza Jolevery, died in Longford
Allice Orr born 2 Jun 1794
Isabella Orr born 1 Aug 1796, married William Wilson
Wilmina Orr born 17 Apr 1798, married John Orr

The birth dates may infact be baptism dates.  He goes on to mention:

Here lieth the body of Alley Orr who departed this life January 26, 1791 aged 51 years.

Names of John's 4 children: Eliz: Ctn [?], Wm, Edwd, Isabel: & John.

Sam's 3: James, Alicia Isa: & Wm.

I think William (Remember) Orr's father is recorded somewhere as Samuel Orr.  Is "Alley" a possible nickname for Samuel, or is it his mother's name?

At the bottom of the page McKinney records the family of John Orr who married Wilhelmina Orr (the daughter of William Orr born after he was hanged):

Samuel Orr died 31 Mar 1807
married Ellen Harper

Fanny Orr married Henry McAnally
Ellen Orr married Matthew White ... to America
John Orr married Wilhelmina Orr
Mary Jane Orr married Thos. Craig
Margaret Orr born 1 AUg 1798
Alexander Orr born Aug 1803 died 28 Feb 1807

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 22 December 19 09:20 GMT (UK) »

Remembering all the Orrs :
the story of the Orr families of Antrim and their involvement in the 1798 Rebellion /
R.H. Foy.

ISBN:
   090190595X

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline SarahOrr

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 20 April 21 16:39 BST (UK) »
I have from my ancestor Mary Ann Allen nee Orr a letter that mentions connection to William Orr, Samuel Orr, Daniel Orr and a Joseph Orr. Mary Ann Orr was the daughter of John Wesley? Orr (1798-?). Im trying to also found how my John Orr got over here to North America, as I am unable to locate a grave, census, birth, immigration or marriage record. He is however listed in the genealogy of John Walden Meyers, a famous UEL loyalist and spy as he married his granddaughter Catherine Bleeker (1801-1893). He is however listed on the marriage and birth records of his children and is listed as either Scottish or Irish and from Ireland or Scotland.

Here is the letter, that I found and which was not put up by me, not sure how my ancestors letter got here!

http://orrnamestudy.com/maryallen.htm

It might also give some insight to those seeking answers on a Hugh, Samuel, James, Joseph and Daniel Orr that are hard to locate without dates from the letter and also if you have any insight toward my John that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 24 April 21 12:48 BST (UK) »
That’s an interesting letter!  Thanks for posting. 

There seems to be some conflicting views on whether Samuel Orr who married Miss Redmond was a brother or nephew of William “Remember” Orr.  Mary Ann Allen seemed sure her grandfather was a nephew, but the dates (and LRL20’s post above) might fit better with him having been a brother?

I think there are other researchers who know much more about this family – I’m just a curious onlooker.