Author Topic: Descendant's of William "Remember" Orr  (Read 36778 times)

Offline MichelleS2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Descendant's of William "Remember" Orr
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 April 11 06:49 BST (UK) »
Hi guys my names Michelle and Im from NSW Australia.

Im desperately trying to find out if Im a relation to William Remember Orr. My nans maiden name was Orr...her first names were Isabella Wilson Campbell and she was born in Belfast 1911.

The reason I think we may have a good chance of being related is I have found a printed book that was nans about William Orr and also have an original photo of his sword. I also spoke to dad the other night and he said that he remembers his grandfather, Samuel Orr, having the sword in his possesion and then passed it on to his son John(my great uncle), but has no idea where it went after that!

So im thinking....if we had it in the family then theres a very good chance he was a direct relative!

I would love love to know a) if we are related and b) where the sword is.

If anyone can help with any info it would be much appreciated!

Michelle :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 April 11 10:51 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. To find a connection you'll need to trace your Orr family back quite a bit further.

The 1901 and 1911 census are online- since your grandmother was born in 1911 I'm not sure if she'll be found in the census (taken Apr.1911) but if you know her parents' names you might find them listed in both census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search

There are other online resources but probably best to start with the census and then work back with your great-grandparents' marriage, etc.

We will probably be able to help you with some details once you find the family in census records but it may not be able to trace your Orr family far enough back to make a connection with this William Orr.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 April 11 12:48 BST (UK) »
Michelle,
            In the 1911 census the family may be living at Spencer Street in Dock Ward Co. Antrim. There is a John Campbell Orr living with his parents Samuel and Mary Elizabeth. Should this be correct there is a marriage on 12 Dec 1904 of a Samuel Ward to a Mary E.G. Campbell in Macrory Presbyterian Church, Shankill, Belfast, Co. Antrim. Fathers were John Orr and Thomas Campbell.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline MichelleS2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 May 11 11:17 BST (UK) »
Wow thank guys this is amazing!

Yes thats definately them...Ive found the same info in the 1911 Census as well but couldnt then manage to find a marriage certificate.

Do you have a link to the marriage certicate details? Id love to see it.

Yeah I realise I may not be able to find a direct link but Im sure going to try and as I said, having the sword in the family has to be promising  :)

Thanks again guys  :)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 May 11 12:46 BST (UK) »
Michelle,
           Speculating a little further I have found a marriege of Thomas Campbell and Mary Eliza Wilson on 12 Jul 1877 in Argyle Place Presbyterian Church, Shankill, Belfast. Of their many children two were Mary Eliza Campbell b 6 Apr 1878 and Isabella Wilson Campbell b 5 May 1885 both in Carnmoney Co Antrim. (Carnmoney is just to the north of Belfast)
            Isabella died on 17 May 1910 and I wondered if your Isabella might have been named for her.
All records are available on the old family search web site www.familysearch.org

Records
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline MichelleS2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 May 11 13:39 BST (UK) »
Oh wow thankyou! You have been so helpful! Yep I reckon thats them and yes i would say that nanny was named after her aunty.

You must have a knack for this type of thing because I checked out that website and could only find Sams birth details.

I need to find John Orrs parents now so I can get closer to finding a link.

Such a big challange though.

Thanks so much for your help again  :)

Offline MichelleS2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 May 11 13:57 BST (UK) »
Although I just realised that the Mary is Mary Eliza instead of Elizabeth so either its not them or maybe we have the details wrong in our records???

Online HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of William "Remember" Orr
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 20:37 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit slow off the mark, and probably this is no use to you, but you mentioned Hugh Harrison Orr of Pymble.

Is he not in Bob Foy's book?  4th son of William Orr, attorney, of 'Hugomont' near Ballymena, and his wife Mary dau. of Robert Harrison.  b. 1850; d. at Chatswood, NSW, 1916.  He m. Margaret Moore at St Leonard's, Sydney, in 1892.  Known issue, b. at St Leonard's:

1. Mary; b. 1895.
2. George; b. 1896
3. Philip Richardson Orr; b. 1898.  Served in the last year of the Great War as a gunner with the 19th Aus. Inf. Bn, Field Artillery Brigade.  m. at Chatswood 1927 Una, youngest dau. of John P.E. Meyninck and his wife Susan née Crane.  She was b. at Moree, NSW, 1900.

Rather scant detail, I'm afraid.  If you can fill in any more, please go ahead!

William was not a descendant of 'Remember' Orr, but from the same family.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Tara Stoker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 May 11 06:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone, I'm going to try to find William Orr's house in Farranshane. Can someone give me the address? He was my grandfather, five generations back. Also, the name of the church where he and Isabella Greer were married in Antrim. Are his things on display anywhere in Northern Ireland. I'm very excited about this trip.
Tara Stoker, California