Author Topic: Flynn family of Ballinalee  (Read 15292 times)

Offline buttonmoon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Flynn family of Ballinalee
« on: Sunday 13 May 07 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, just wondered whether anyone else was interested in the Flynn's of Ballinalee. If so let me know.

Regards
Kate.
Cavan - FLYNN & NEARY
Donegal - O'DONNELL
Dublin - BRADY, GREEN, NEILL & ST LEGER
Kerry - CRIMEEN, CROWLY & DONOGHUE
Longford - FLYNN, WHELAN & DAVIS
Sligo - FLYNN & HEALY
Wicklow - CLARE, COLEY, CRIMEEN, CUNNIAM, DOYLE, FLYNN, MURPHY, O'BYRNE & SUTTON
Devon, Som, Glam & Mon - BISSETT
Gloucs, Glam & Mon - ROBERTS
Here, Brec & Mon - WATKINS
Mon - ISRAEL, LEWIS, MATTHEWS, MORGAN & PROBERT
Salop & Mon - EVANS
Census info is crown copyright www.nationalarchives.co

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Flynn family of Ballinalee
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 March 08 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kate,

What denomination were the Flynn family and when did they live in Ballinalee?

You may have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline buttonmoon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 March 08 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher, they were Catholic and lived their from 1885-1959 with my great grandfather John (Jack) Flynn, I don't know his parentage though so I imagine it went further back than that. I know he was buried in Clonbroney Cemetery. My nan Kathleen Teresa Flynn was born there but moved to Enniskerry, Wicklow when she married my granddad.
My dad never visited the Flynn's as my nan always went on her own so he doesn't know that much about them, he obviously wasn't considering my future interest in our heritage!
Thanks for your advice, if I ever get the chance to get there I will have a look to see if any of the records are still there, anything is worth a try!

Regards
Kate.
Cavan - FLYNN & NEARY
Donegal - O'DONNELL
Sligo - FLYNN & HEALY
Wicklow - CLARE, COLEY, CRIMEEN, CUNNIAM, DOYLE, FLYNN, MURPHY, O'BYRNE & SUTTON
Salop & Mon - EVANS

Offline buttonmoon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 September 12 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, I now have an update on my Flynn family so if anyone recognises any names or has a link then please reply.
The family lived in Currygrane, which is a hamlet just outside of Ballinalee. However, the family were originally from County Sligo later moving to County Cavan and then settling in Longford.
My gg Grandfather was Thomas Flynn 1855 born in Killeshandra, Cavan who married Catherine Whelan 1857 of Ballinalee. Their children were Mary Anne 1878, John (my g Grandfather) 1881, Thomas 1885, Patrick 1887, Bartholomew 1889, Elizabeth 1891, Charles 1893, Bridget 1896 and Joseph 1899 all born in Currygrane.
Catherine Whelan's parents were Patrick Whelan and Anna Davis (not sure where they were both born) and her siblings that I know of were John 1858, Eliza 1865 and Teresa 1867, all born Ballinalee.
John Flynn 1881 married Ann Marie (Molly) O'Donnell who was originally from Donegal. Their children were Kathleen Teresa (my nan) 1913, Mary c1914, Thomas c1916, Jenny c1918, Patrick c1919 and Bridget c1921 all born in Currygrane.
Molly passed away in 1925 and some of their youngest children were apparently sent away to boarding school. John passed away in 1959 having never remarried and the last of the Flyyn's to leave the area was Patrick who moved to Mullingar, Westmeath.
Would love to hear from anyone connected to this family.

Katy
Cavan - FLYNN & NEARY
Donegal - O'DONNELL
Sligo - FLYNN & HEALY
Salop & Mon - EVANS

Offline marie whelan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Katy My name is Marie Whelan my Gr granf nd Gran moth were Patrick Whelan and Anne Davis of Glenoghill currygrane nd have Flynn connections to you.
                                                      Marie

Offline buttonmoon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 December 12 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marie, thank you for contacting me. Its lovely to hear from someone with a connection to the Flynn's. I haven't had much luck on this side of the family. The Whelan's are all very new to me, I only found them a couple of months ago. I thought that I'd never find out anything about my Irish side as records are quite hard to come by. It would be lovely to hear about the details you have. I'll message you privately with my email address and then we can swap info. Thanks again for getting in touch!

Kind Regards
Katy
Cavan - FLYNN & NEARY
Donegal - O'DONNELL
Sligo - FLYNN & HEALY
Salop & Mon - EVANS

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 December 12 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Marie only has one post at them moment and will require a few more before having access to the personal message system.

see :  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Leinster Moderator
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline buttonmoon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 December 12 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marie, apparently you can't get personal messages so if you mail me on * we can chat there.

Kind Regards
Katy

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to protect against spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Cavan - FLYNN & NEARY
Donegal - O'DONNELL
Sligo - FLYNN & HEALY
Salop & Mon - EVANS

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 December 12 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Moderator note - email addresses are not allowed in posts for your own security. Use the personal message system if you wish to exchange personal details.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests