Author Topic: R S Workman - Artist - LOCATED  (Read 4652 times)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: R S Workman - Artist - LOCATED
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 20 June 20 00:52 BST (UK) »
I think you have solved the mystery of Castlewi'Rock in Windmill Street, Saltcoats. When I first saw the picture my thoughts were that it housed the fabled Windmill which was opposite the end of Sidney Street just about where the Pavilion Theatre / Bowling Alley was built.  But then the puzzle of my wedding party venue at the Castlewirock came to mind.  Standing at Windmill street it was in the past possible to see Ardrossan Castle high on its hill, but hardly seemed significant enough to name your business premises after it.  I used to think maybe the original Windmill ( which I believe was used to pump seawater up to the 'cots' and heated by burning seaweed under the pans) was built like a Castle Tower but if not that maybe it was a Castle Tower like Montfode or Portincross.   The picture of the harbour is not as accurate as the photos of the harbour show the nearer building as larger ( now demolished) and the other was the Customs House, still there.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 June 20 19:27 BST (UK) »
The pyramid near edge of picture 2 might be Ailsa Craig (aka Paddy's Milestone). The feature beside it looks like a rock with a lighthouse.

A couple of alternative ideas about the feature which looks like a rock with a lighthouse.
Lady Isle lighthouse off Arran. Proportions aren't right but could be perspective or artistic licence?
A ship with a very tall funnel. 
Cowban

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 15:07 BST (UK) »
I knew I'd seen it before, but where?  It came up as a quiz question in the 3towners site forum.  Here's a picture from the end of Saltcoats pier looking towards the junction of Sidney Street and Windmill Street just at Winton Circus.  NLS have just added even more town maps and estate plans so making research into North Ayrshire even easier.   Also, the North Salt Pans are where the outdoor Bathing Pool and Wee Boating Pond were built ( now demolished).  The Windmill (demolished) would be about the end of Sidney Street where the Artist was when he paainted his picture of the SaltHouse. cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.