Author Topic: Moor Hall, Cookham  (Read 15411 times)

Offline woolis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moor Hall, Cookham
« Reply #18 on: Monday 17 November 08 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi just was reading about yourself, and i also was born in maidenhead, i was on google looking at our old house. at Norfolk Park Cottages where i was  born in 1959. And you were talking to someone regarding names of people who lived on cordwallis road, my sister used to go out with Kevin Copas. I was actually looking for Gordon Road School, I went to St Lukes Primary which was then near the park. and went to Cookham Road which used to be an old boys school don't no what the name was. anyway it was so nice to look back at some old names.

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 17 November 08 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Woolis,
  Welcome to Rootschat very helpful and friendly people.  I lived in College Glen just round the corner from Gordon Road.  Age wise you could be my daughter!  So it's only the previous generation names we'll know.

Good luck with your searching,
Abiam

Offline jt123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Abiam,

I was browsing around the web for information on my Harding line and found your posting here on Roots Web.

Seems like we share a common ancestor - James Harding - born 1796 in Cookham!

My line comes through his son George Harding, who married Sarah Ann Hyde and they emigrated out to Australia in 1857. 

I live in Melbourne - and would love to get in touch with you to compare notes on the Hardings if possible?

cheers,

John

Thatcher - Uffington, Berkshire
Fortescue - Baulking, Bekshire
Harding - Cookham, Berkshire
Brown - Eastwick and Netteswell Essex
Swaffield - St Helier, Jersey
Limer - Uttoxeter, Staffordshire
Lade - Sussex
Appoo / Ah Poo - Bendigo Australia, China

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Have sent you a PM
Abiam

Offline palwing50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 14:55 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered this thread after researching Moor Hall, Cookham and hope I am not too late to resurrect it?.

I have no direct link to Cookham or Moor Hall, but have recently purchased, at auction, a lot of documentation regarding Moor Hall from February 1935. The documents make for fascinating reading as there are solicitors letters regarding the death of the owner at the time and the subsequent sale of Moor Hall for the princely sum of £4000!!!

I also have the original death certificate of the owner Florence Isabel Barnard (née Fanny Isabella Pollard), sister of Arthur Albert Pollard and widow of Frank Stewart Barnard. Florence was married twice, previously married to George Scates (Skates) during her first marriage 22 April 1884. Florence died 18 Feb 1935 in Cookham.

Included in the documentation are bills for gas, electric, phone, milk, butchers and her funeral. There's even a copy of a letter to the gardener, Mr Lunnon of Moor Hall,Cookham, giving him a weeks notice after Florence's death. What a great snapshot of Moor Hall history!

By the way JT123. There is a letter from Australia. I will dig it out and see if it has a name.

Obviously, having no personal interest, we are looking at moving these documents on to interested parties with a personal link.  Anyone interested, please contact me.

Offline russethouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 15:03 BST (UK) »
Maybe the Institute Of Marketing, the current occupiers of Moor Hall would be interested, if not it may be worth contacting the Maidenhead a Heritage Centre who even if they are not interested may suggest a suitable home for the documents. Good Luck !

Offline palwing50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Russethouse.

I have emailed the Hall today, but as yet have not received a response. I feel the documents deserve to be kept at the hall, so hopefully they will get back to me.

This original documentation is unique and should be preserved. Things like the last milk bill detailing how many pints delivered during February 1935 at threepence halfpenny a pint is delightful. There's the coal bill, butchers bill, gas bill, phone bill detailing the number of calls too. Even a bill for repairing a toilet!  Superb find.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Maidenhead Heritage centre too. I hadn't thought of that.

Excellent advice, much appreciated.

Offline palwing50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi JT123

I have found the letter with the Australian link as mentioned previously. It was to Mrs Whitham of Anglesea Barracks, Hobart and details her inheritance from the deceased Florence Barnard.

Any link to you?

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 21:12 BST (UK) »
Berkshire Record Office may also be interested in receiving the documents.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk