Author Topic: Moor Hall, Cookham  (Read 15393 times)

Offline russethouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: MOOR HALL, COOKHAM
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 00:15 BST (UK) »
 For a short time I lived in the cottage at the entrance to the road, Moor End -  always looks as if its about to fall over.......
Small world

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 00:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, it is a small world.  Are you from Maidenhead?  I lived there and in the area until about 15 years ago when I moved to Spain,
Regards Abiam

Offline russethouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 00:29 BST (UK) »
 Yes, I spent the first 7 years (in the 50s) in Cordwallis Road and then we moved to Cookham. I eventially left home and became a childrens nanny , went abroad, lived in London etc then found a live in job in Cookham (Moor End) for a few months.....

I still go to Cookham each week to take my mother shopping in Maidenhead Waitrose.......and pass Moor End on the way.

My mother came from Bray and I was christened there.

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Moor Hall, Cookham
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 09:07 BST (UK) »
I was born in College Glen and lived there until I married in 1964 and stayed in the area for another 30 years.  My family on both sides lived in the very poorest areas of the town Cordwallis Road, Garden Cottages, The Barracks, Denmark Street, Reform Road and Waldeck Road.  They were really improving their lives when they moved to College Glen and Norfolk Park Cottages and all of my generation have worked hard and improved their lot.  Unfortunately the earlier generations didn't have that opportunity.
There may be lots wrong with life today but I think we are still very lucky - how they would have loved our 'problems'
Regards, Abiam

Offline russethouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 09:54 BST (UK) »
My father was bought up by his grandmother in Cordwallis Road, he and my mother looked after her there until she died and then they stayed there. About the mid 50s the Landlord died and his children wanted to sell the property so my father bought it, put in an upstairs bathroom and decorated and then sold it.
He used the proceeds to move to Cookham.

In my memory the houses in Cordwallis Road  (68)were quite roomy, we grew veg and kept chicken and rabbits in the garden (a habit left over from the war I suspect) but the area behind was quite industrial - The Jam factory etc .....

We had a corner shop 2 doors away, the butcher was in Denmark Street, Just down the road was a small hairdressers run by a lady called Nora who sometimes used to let me go for a walk with her and her huge dog Bimbo.
We used to cycle everywhere (me on the back of a bilke) and thats how we first viewed the house in Cookham.

My father used to work in Clark and Seniors in Queen Street, but later went to work in Uxbridge.

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 10:44 BST (UK) »
Memories eh!

I trained as a hairdresser at Joan Bennets in M'head High Street in 1958 and when trained trained a girl called Barbara Clark , daughter of Clark and Seniors!  I  remember going in there with my dad to buy nails by the ounce!  Well at least loose.
And being taken for tea at Spindlers and Brocks.  Such a long time ago now.
I was back for the 1st week in August to visit my children and grandchildren and they ( my grown up children ) can never understand why I like to have a mooch around the town as they really think it has been spoiled during their lifetime.  i suppose I like to do that as it was my home for so many years and of course I see changes I don't particularly like.  My biggest shock this year was the new Sainsbury - a hideous monstrosity.

Offline russethouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 10:58 BST (UK) »
and the traffic !

Between the new Sainsbury Traffic lights and the road works I can only say that I have taken from very circular tours back to Cookham, my mother has enjoyed it though! ;)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 12:22 BST (UK) »
Enough said!

Offline woolis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 November 08 21:04 GMT (UK) »
I was born in College Glen and lived there until I married in 1964 and stayed in the area for another 30 years.  My family on both sides lived in the very poorest areas of the town Cordwallis Road, Garden Cottages, The Barracks, Denmark Street, Reform Road and Waldeck Road.  They were really improving their lives when they moved to College Glen and Norfolk Park Cottages and all of my generation have worked hard and improved their lot.  Unfortunately the earlier generations didn't have that opportunity.
There may be lots wrong with life today but I think we are still very lucky - how they would have loved our 'problems'
Regards, Abiam
Enough said!