Author Topic: Reilly/Riley  (Read 13852 times)

Offline Margaret W

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Reilly/Riley
« on: Monday 14 May 07 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I am desperately trying to make some headway with my Irish Ancestors. The trouble is I do not know which part of Ireland they came from. Reilly/Riley seems to be a name common to the county of Cavan.
I am looking for a William Reilly/Riley born abt 1819/21 he married a Mary Mackin in the early 1850s. They had a son William born around 1852/3 then they migrated to Lancashire England. I would appreciate any help in tracing this branch of my family.
Thank you for taking the time to read this request.
best wishes
Margaret
x
Threlfall, Riley. Thornton. Whittaker, Laycock, Green, Webster, Wilkinson,Astin, Stephenson, Houlker

Offline pat m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Reilly/Riley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 03:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Margaret,
My g.grandmother was Ann Reilly/Riley,she was married to my g.grandfather Thomas Lawless in the 1851 census in Liverpool Lancashire,in 1861 census they were in Stourbridge Worc's it says she came from Jons Meath,Co Meath in Ireland, not found any more info yet!

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 08:27 BST (UK) »
I have Rielly, A Joseph Patrick Rielly born b 1900 Co  Monaghan Ireland
father Patrick mother Eileen
I dont know that this would help pin point the areas for the surname
ORKNEY
FLETT, CLOUSTON,  WHISHART, SCOTT, BRUCE,
ABERDEEN AREA:THOMSON, ROSIE, CHAFFEY, ALLAN,               
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
IRELAND:DOUGLAS,BLACK,McAULAY,KEAYS,TWEED,MITCHELL,
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline jaylay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 17:09 BST (UK) »
Reilly/O'Reilly/Riley are all variations on the same name - all are very common surnames in Counties Cavan and Meath.  Good luck in getting further back with your Reillys!

Jaylay
KELLY - Antrim
HUGHES - Armagh
LEYDEN - Ahamlish, Sligo/Down/Belfast
MAGUIRE/MCGUIRE - Ardglass, Co. Down
HUGGARD - Wexford/Kerry
O'REILLY - Dublin/Cavan
BARNES - Dublin
HAZELTON - NI
MCCAMBRIDGE - Antrim

Offline Margaret W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 18:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you to each and every one of you for your replies they have given me food for thought. I have noticed that the name Reilly/Riley seemed common to Co Cavan but did not know about Meath.
Just has a matter of interest, not to mention desperation does anyone know where the name Mackin originates from?
Thanks once again and good luck and happy hunting to all.
regards
Margaret
x
:)
Threlfall, Riley. Thornton. Whittaker, Laycock, Green, Webster, Wilkinson,Astin, Stephenson, Houlker

Offline murphy0383

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 22:46 BST (UK) »
i believe there are some riley or o'riley family that are related to mine from Co.Cavan although i havent looked into that side of the family yet as im still doing my mums. But i was talking to my uncle who told me about the Riley or O'Rileys having some relation to the Murphy's and McGuinness family.
Once i get the info in writing from my uncle i will let you know

Offline Margaret W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 23:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your message. I am really stuck with this branch of my family. All I know is that my gt gran was a Jane Riley/Reilly born 1862 in Preston Lancashire. As far as I can make out her father William a labourer was born in Ireland and married to a Mary Mackin also from Ireland. They had one son born in Ireland and the rest of the children were born in Preston. I look forward to hearing from you and good luck with your research.
best wishes
Margaret

Offline jjcaffrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 July 07 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

In answer to your question of where to find Macklin, I did a quick search of the Griffiths Valuation (found here --> http://www.failteromhat.com/), and there were clusters in Monaghan and Armagh, not too far off from Cavan.

Good luck,
John

Offline Margaret W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 July 07 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi John,
Thank you for responding to my Mackin family name query, it was very kind of you and I shall be looking at the link you sent tonight. Oh how I love this frustrating but rewarding "hobby", although I must be honest I think my Irish ancestors may just forever remain undiscovered.
good luck with your research and thanks again.
regards
Margaret