Author Topic: Ukraine & Russia: A question about Rootschat  (Read 29801 times)

Offline grammatj8

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ukraine & Russia: A question about Rootschat
« on: Tuesday 15 May 07 21:33 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there is a rootschat for the Ukraine and Russian area.  Just a question.  Because you guys are all so helpful. 
Johnston – Guelph
Deuchars – Scotland
Tierney – Ireland
Brubacher
Shevers – Scotland
Mitchell  - Fraser, Murray, Gauld, Metcalfe, Anderson,
Shand, Thain, Robson.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A question about Rootschat
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know if there is a site anything like RootsChat anywhere else in the world, if you are thinking about the friendliness and helpfullness here.

There are forums for Eastern Europe, but we also have a board on RootsChat for Europe, where we are building up quite a lot of useful links, information and general expertise.

Have a look  :) :)

Maybe you'll find you can ask your questions there.

Good luck,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline grammatj8

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 22:42 BST (UK) »
No I don't think that is what I want.  What I meant was lookups etc in the Ukraine, possible places where they left from.  Marriages, like for example I am looking for my grandfather and grandmothers marriage.  I have figured out they really didn't get married in Fort William, Ontario, canada.  So they must have got married in the Ukraine, only thing is I don't know what town.  That was why I thought people like these guys are very helpful. 
Johnston – Guelph
Deuchars – Scotland
Tierney – Ireland
Brubacher
Shevers – Scotland
Shand, Thain, Robson.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi gram,

Do you know when they came to Canada?  Maybe there is a clue on a passenger list?

Karen

PS  How's your son in law, heard he went into the wall.
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline grammatj8

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 12:23 BST (UK) »
news travels, apparently he is a little stiff so I have been told but otherwise okay.  He is supposedly going to try again this weekend at Sauble we will see.

As for do I know when they came to Canada.  It was roughly around 1910 - 1914 those parameters, because we know the oldest was born in 1914 in Fort William, They had a fire at the house so no personal records were left.  I am beginning to think maybe they got married in the Ukraine, as his brother did,  His brother became naturalized in 1920 then went back and married in 1921.  As for the ships, I have tried but I haven't come up with anything.  Mom thinks they may have landed in Quebec because Papa worked in the northern Quebec for a very short time.  So that is the history.
Johnston – Guelph
Deuchars – Scotland
Tierney – Ireland
Brubacher
Shevers – Scotland
Shand, Thain, Robson.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi grammatj8,

I will watch this thread with interest. That is a question I was also going to ask.

If you type "russian genealogy" into google, a few sites pop up. I have not yet investigated thoroughly, but so far all I have found is general information, and nothing like rootschat. So far I am confused. It seems you can pay for researchers but I'm afraid I wouldn't feel comfortable with that.

There is a site for Russian surnames where people with the same name can post looking for relatives. I'll try to find the link for you.

PS> I think it might help if you speak Russian ....

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 12:52 BST (UK) »
Some of my family were Volga Germans and there are records available. Do you know where the family might have lived? Also, it's possible the marriage took place on the way to Canada or even wherever they first landed.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline grammatj8

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 12:57 BST (UK) »
not speaking the language doesn't help.  I have been told if I write a letter in Ukrainian I might get some kind of response, so I have the alphabet to do that with.  The town they came from I don't know  however a second cousin says she remembers her grandparents mentioning a name that sounded like Chernootzie.  However I also have found out there are many small towns around an area that could ?? be there. 
You make a valid point, marriage on the boat or when first landed.  It could be anything.  This side of the family is short on knowing anything about their family.  Mom didn't know her Dad had a sister and brother but again this is a second cousin that says she thought her Dad mentioned this.  Anyhow I'll stop rambling. 
Johnston – Guelph
Deuchars – Scotland
Tierney – Ireland
Brubacher
Shevers – Scotland
Shand, Thain, Robson.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 13:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry grammat, I could not find what I was looking for, however I did find this:
www.genforum.genealogy.com/russia/
- don't know if it be of any help.