Author Topic: Ukraine & Russia: A question about Rootschat  (Read 29772 times)

Offline grammatj8

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ukraine & Russia: A question about Rootschat
« Reply #45 on: Monday 20 October 08 00:28 BST (UK) »
You 2 are great.  They are my grandparents  What I can't find is when they were married.  I have tried everything, I am beginning to believe they might have been married in the Ukraine.  Bokivina, now that is a town that my great Uncle mentioned.  Also John Kotchan dieing in Minnesota I didn't know that.  I thought I had went throught the Simcoe Reformer pretty good.  I guess I missed that one.  The Kotchan family  is a family that fizzles out quite quickly.  George's brother and that side, the siblings have decided not to have children.  And It looks like my grandparents side with the Kotchan name is also dwindling.
Johnston – Guelph
Deuchars – Scotland
Tierney – Ireland
Brubacher
Shevers – Scotland
Mitchell  - Fraser, Murray, Gauld, Metcalfe, Anderson,
Shand, Thain, Robson.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 20 October 08 00:52 BST (UK) »
 ;) I don't remember you answering if they were catholic or not?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline grammatj8

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 20 October 08 00:54 BST (UK) »
sorry, they were Urkranian Greek  Orthodox.  I do believe. 
Johnston – Guelph
Deuchars – Scotland
Tierney – Ireland
Brubacher
Shevers – Scotland
Shand, Thain, Robson.

Offline Lexi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 20 October 08 01:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Gram,

Just noticed your question.  I have a few pages from an old magazine on "Start tracing your ancestors from Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania with a step by step guide."  Give me a shout and I'll scan & e-mail a copy to you or anyone else that's interested.  Drop me a pm with your e-mail address.  Here's a few sites to have a look over

Russia

A dictionary of Russian Period Names
www.sca.org/heraldry/paul>

GenTree.Chat.Ru
gentree.chat.ru/eng/eng.htm

Online English-Russian-English Dictionary
www.freedict.com/onldict/rus.html

Researching Russian Roots
www.mtu-net.ru/rrr

Russia Message Boards
boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/board/an/localities.asia.russia

Ukraine

InfoUkes
www.infoukes.com

Ukraine Message Boards
boards.ancestry.com.mbexec/board/anlocalities.eeurope.ukraine

Ukraine WorldGenWeb
www.rootsweb.com/ukrwgi

Ukraine Linguistic Resources
www.lingresua.tripod.com/online

Lexi
Dixon-Co. Down

Offline Lexi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 20 October 08 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Gram,

I received the pm with your address.  Give me a few minutes to scan the pages over to you.

Lexi

Update

check your e-mail box
Dixon-Co. Down

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 20 October 08 03:26 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you had said you had asked for information here ...some great reading as well:
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary built the year of the census...
http://www.thunderbay.ca/docs/hac/5503.doc.
Now seems to be called St. Mary’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church
as the address is still 716 Pacific Avenue

or even here since the other church may not have been built yet when they arrived...
http://www.slovak.com/st_peters/

ah, was looking for the address when I saw where they had a fire, & remember something about fire and records lost...awe that's rough...same thing happened here to many churches...and many of my husband's ancestral records as well.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline mrbloggins

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 24 December 09 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello grammatj8 - I noticed in one of your posts you were asking about Zynovia Kotchan.  She is a daughter of Johan and Iftimia Kotchan and should be one of the three little girls sitting on the bottom left side of the Kotchan family photo you posted, though I couldn't tell you which one.  Here is a copy of her obituary from the St Catherines Standard:

CIMPRICH, Zynovia (Zita) - Peacefully at home, on Saturday July 11, 2009 in her 87th year. Zita Cimprich (nee Kotchan) is the beloved wife of John who predeceased her in 2002. Loving mother of Arlene and Alan and dear sister to Mary Lariviere, Anne Tonkin. Mike Kotchan and George Kotchan. Fondly remembered by many nieces and nephews. Special thanks to Dr. Walser-Jebb and the many healthcare workers and agencies that provided compassionate care over the years. A graveside service will be held at Pleasantview Memorial Gardens 2250 Hwy 20 (at the 406 Hwy) Fonthill on Tuesday July 14, 2009 at 1:30 p.m. If desired, donations may be made to Mainstream Services 263 Pelham Rd., St. Catharines L2S 1X7.

At the moment I am researching the Cimprich family, trying to find a link between the families of a Frank Cimprich who married Matilda Jeselnik and a John Cimprich who married Louise Janez.  Both raised families in Port Arthur (Thunder Bay) in the 30's.  I suspect they were brothers.
Atkinson, Ranney, Bludd, Blud, Bittner, Mason, Dixon, Bainbridge

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 25 December 09 22:42 GMT (UK) »
There are some new records available online since your original posts in 2008. In case you don't have this, there is a Form 30 for John Kotchan who was returning to Canada after visiting family. It's dated 9 Aug 1921 and he was returning with his wife Isteria. It says his original arrival in Canada was on 15 Jun 1909 at the port of Quebec. His address listed is in Fort William, Ontario. He lists his father as Peter Kotchan, Dawidestic, P.O. Stauczon, Bukowina. He also says he was born in Dawidestic, was 36 and his occupation was track foreman (likely for the CPR as their main line runs there).

His wife, Isteria was 19 and was born in Dawidestic as well. Her father's name was Gorg Wiksyck of Dawidestic. They must have married when John/Johan was on this trip as she says she's never been to Canada before.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline grammatj8

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 26 December 09 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Where did you find this.  It looks like the information that I have been looking for.  Now to find the sister to Johan and George.  This is wonderful.  It matches to when Johan got married.  the year I mean.  Thanks a million. 
Johnston – Guelph
Deuchars – Scotland
Tierney – Ireland
Brubacher
Shevers – Scotland
Shand, Thain, Robson.