Author Topic: Hollands from Horsham  (Read 21183 times)

Offline Maggott

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hollands from Horsham
« Reply #18 on: Monday 21 May 07 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane & thank you all again for your interest.  Yes, correct - my connection to the Hollands is that Ann (d of Henry & Harriet) m William Wood & their s Henry Alfred was my GtGrandfather.
I agree with you about the clothes - those sleeves may have been in fashion in London 94-98 but I reckon they were current in Horsham later & longer  :)
I agree too, that it has the look of an informal family jolly:  no black so it's not a funeral, & anything involving church would surely have meant hats & formal clothes, as you say.  I know people made a lot more of a visit in those days than we (with cars) do now-I've wondered if siblings who had moved away came back for a reunion - just a guess this.  Or if they all visited one of the mob who had moved to a new pub...
Incdentally when I got a magnifier on the original it looks as if the dragon-lady on the left, middle row, has not a flower in her bodice but a piece of lace/edge of hanky showing.
Wouldn't they have been amazed if they knew the scrutiny we've given their picture
Best Maggott

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 09:10 BST (UK) »
Yes, I see it now, Old Rowley.  You can't be THAT old, Rowley if you spotted that  ;D

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 10:37 BST (UK) »
Okay.  Bear in mind that the following information is not confirmed, it's just me putting 2 & 2 together & hopefully coming up with 4  :D

Henry & Harriet married 10/4/1833, Horsham.

Their children (extracted IGI entries)

William 2/5/1833  Horsham
ANN  23/8/1835      ditto
Elizabeth 6/8/1837      ditto
Henry 28/2/1841         ditto
Isaac  23/2/1845     Warnham
Harriet  2/5/1847         ditto
JOHN  30/9/1849         ditto
Martha 25/4/1852          ditto
Mary Helen  29/6/1856   ditto

So John Holland that you think is the gent standing at the back of the photo is Ann's (your 2x great grandmother) brother.

William:  1833 - died Q2 1912, Horsham aged 79 (2b 373)
1881 - North St. Portslade (police station)
William Holland  47  b. Horsham  Police Constable
Maragret            31
Lydia dau          19   b. Newhaven

William seemed to have married twice, (1) Lydia Huggett Q3 1860, Lewes (2b 235).  Death of Lydia, Q1 1875 aged 34  Steyning (2b 228)  Marriage (2) Q3 1877, Margaret Mitchell, Steyning (2b 447)  Margaret died Q4 1903 Horsham aged 54 (2b 192)
So William could be a candidate for one of the gents as he would have been about 62 in 1895.

Ann 1835 - possible death Q1 1910 aged 74 Horsham (2b 221)
Married William Wood Q2 1858, Horsham.  Possible candidate for one of the ladies as she would have been 60 in 1895.

Elizabeth 1837 - nothing known

Henry 1841 - possible death Q2 1887 aged 45, Horsham (2b 195)  so not a candidate.

Isaac 1845 - Possible death Q2 1908 Steyning aged 64 (2b 185)
Married Elizabeth Hills Q1 1871, Lewes (2b 181)
1881 in Horsham.  1891 The George Inn, Portslade, Syening.
Possible candidate.  As he seems to live in Portslade & died there he probably made the journey up to Horsham for this event.  My money would be that he's the gent on the right as he looks a little more dapper than the others & running an inn on the fashionable south coast in Victorian times might give him the edge as far as fashions go  ::)

Harriet 1847  Nothing known

John 1849  Possible death Q4 1908  aged 59, Horsham (2b 188)  so he could be in the photo as he would have been 46 in 1895.

Martha 1852  Nothing known

Mary Helen 1856  Nothing known

jane

Offline Maggott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi  You guys are absolute whizzes  :)  I think Mary Helen died young -the name may have been Mary Ellen in some records.  And the eldest of Henry & Martha's children was probably Fanny rather than Nannie - & again died young.
But thank you for sorting through the family so efficiently- it really does help to have people who are used to research & who aren't bogged down by family myth.
I'm going to pass the info you've given me to the cousins-all related to William Holland & all family historians- to see what they make of it.  You've made more progress in 48hours than we did in ten months!
Thank you again
Best  Maggott

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 24 May 07 09:51 BST (UK) »
So the three brothers in the photo might be William, John & Isaac?  Possibly Ann on left side?  The other 3 ladies posssibly 3 surviving sisters.  The 2 younger ladies, children of the brothers?  Although the lady sitting on the grass on the right doesn't look as young as the other seated lady, probably in her thirties?
If it said, "Holland Family" on the back I would presume all of the sitters are Holland by birth rather than by marriage...just a thought  :)
Glad that's been of help, Maggott, it was an interesting exercise especially when there's a picture of the people in front of you!

jane

Offline vacation

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 29 August 10 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hello I saw the photo of the Holland family.

Ann Holland (born 1835) was my 2xGGrandmother through her son William Wood.

My Aunt may have some photos of Hollands to compare with the photo on this message board. I will ask her.

Thanks, Hilary

Offline Maggott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 29 August 10 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi  Very excited to read your post   Sounds as if we may be quite closely connected. May I ask which of William's children was your ancestor?  I'll send you a PM (personal message) with my private email details.

Looking forward to seeing any pix your aunt manages to find
Best
Maggott

Offline viking-man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 02 October 10 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just wondered whether any of these people are connected to my Hollands?  I have an Ann Holland born in Shipley 1769 dau of Phillip Holland & Mary Greenfield.  I haven't got any more on them as yet.

Regards
Gary
Burgess, Saxby, Dann - Brenchley, Kent (1545-1900)
Glock, Schmetzer, Düll, Schúmm, Schúld, Köttler, Wirth, Häffner, König, Biber, Abel, Biller, Spörer, Niclaús, Schimpff, Linder, Meüder, Langenfelder, Keller - Württemberg, Germany (1525-1800)
Sainty, Smith - Cambridgeshire (1530-1850)
Choice - Warwickshire (1790-1840)
Gladman, Leggatt, Ovenden, Brizenden, Errwicker - Sussex (1660-1935)
Jocelyn - Hertfordshire (900-1550)
Graves - Norfolk (1750-1800)
Lindsell, Wiseman, Glascock - Essex (1345-1770)

Offline vacation

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 02 October 10 08:05 BST (UK) »
Yes I am descended from Ann's brother William.
He is my 4 x Great Grandfather who was married to Martha Charman.
Happy to talk further.

Hilary