Author Topic: Family interest .....  (Read 5399 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Family interest .....
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 May 07 23:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Sylviaann!

You're right:  I am sentimental.   ;)  I can't blame it on age because I've always been this way. 

I, too, hope my daughter or nieces and nephews become interested one day.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 21 May 07 00:35 BST (UK) »
I think it is very important that anyone who has a lot of research and not very interested families should donate (or will) their work to a local FSH or Records Office.
Wholeheartedly agree there.  I've already left instructions over what happens to my research in case of accident.  I'd hate for what is quite literally my life's work to be bunged on the fire when I'm gone...do that and I'm coming back to haunt them. ;D
Luckily a young cousin on mum's side (I say young...he's only 12.  I've converted him young. :P) is shown a lot of interest, so it seems the next generation will carry the proverbial torch. :)
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 May 07 06:33 BST (UK) »
That's it, Sylviaann!  I love it.  It moves me to tears, and when I read it I feel very proud that I am the chosen one in my generation!  (Just wish a few more of my ancestors would cry out, "Tell our story"!  The ones who are hiding from me, I mean!)

Simon G., you have done really well getting your 12 year old cousin interested!  Never heard of a child that age being interested in family history, but it is great that he is!  Maybe you ought to get him to join Rootschat - he'd be our youngest member!  ;D

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 May 07 16:26 BST (UK) »
Indeed.  He's turning into a little version of me...it's wonderful. :P ;D
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Offline Welsh Jules

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandmother Gerith Mair
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon - I can see from your profile that you're from the Rhondda, that's where I was born an brought up as well, and where my 16 year old cousin who has shown the family history interest lives. Hopefully between her and your cousin we'll have a few future valley genealogists lined up :)
Jones - Rhondda Valley/Neath
Harvey - Swansea/Calstock Cornwall
Blethyn - Pembrokeshire
Bowen - Pembrokshire
Vernon - Cheshire/Lancashire
Davies - Cardiganshire
James - Monmouthshire
Tozer - Calstock Cornwall
Brooks - Devon
Bonhomme - Calstock Cornwall/Jersey/Normandy
Massey - Lancashire

Offline Britgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 May 07 00:55 BST (UK) »
I was also just 12 years old when I became interested in genealogy! It started with a school assignment to draw up my tree, and I was hooked!

My parents are interested in whatever I find (well, parents have to be supportive of whatever their kids do, dont they!!  ;D), but my kids are still too young at the moment. Maybe one day....

I've never thought of myself as a Chosen One before! I like it!!  ;D
Grose - Cornwall
Rice - Devon
Harris - Herefordshire
Bristow - London
Sadler - Yorkshire
Nye - London
Allen - Cornwall
Palmer - Cornwall
Chynoweth - Cornwall
Cowling - Cornwall

Offline pompeyboy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 May 07 19:34 BST (UK) »

Simon G., you have done really well getting your 12 year old cousin interested! Never heard of a child that age being interested in family history, but it is great that he is!

MarieC

Thankfully and i realise how lucky i might be,my 10 year old daughter is taking an interest in my research,it's patchy at the moment which i would expect of a child of that age anyway,but she does sit in with me sometimes when i'm on Rootschat and she takes an interest in any information that i get and quite often sits down and studies the family tree which is laid out on a table permanently in the living room,she now knows the names of her ggrandparents on two lines and where they come from and some dates etc off by heart....she is the only one really interested in my family except for my uncle but he is getting on a bit now and getting forgetful sometimes..just hope my girl keeps her interest  8)

Steve :D
massey
clutterbuck
foster
searley
Hansler
Belcher

Census Information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 25 June 07 23:57 BST (UK) »
I have given my 3 children their own Copies of the Familyhistorian programme, which I use.

As I add more information I send them (UK,US and NZ) a GED file.Plus scanned  Copies of old photos and documents.

When we downsized, we shared out various"goodies" such as a Sampler , a Gran's wedding invitation etc. A large (very) framed wedding photo (ours).To my embarrassment ,openly displayed because my daughter loves it!!

Our son has the family Long case clock from my Husband's  G/grandfather.

OK that is fine as far as it goes, but if I want to leave a record to a FHS, and basically ones  main branches come from 4 (or more) different counties, then to one or to all.?

Spring
Dorset: Ackerman,Bungey,Bunter Chant,Hyle
Islington:Bedford, Eaton,Wilkins
Beds,Fulham: Brazier
Shoreditch: Burton,Coverdale
Essex ,Clerkenwell:Craswell,Cresswell
St.Lukes Middx:Doughty, Dunkley
Andover/IOW/Fulham:Gasser
Fulham: Neal
Bucks:Putnam,Wingrove
Bullwell.Notts:Wilkinson
Clerkenwell/Islington:Wyllie
Herts/ Tottenham/Walthamstow:Young

Offline WHS1899

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 09:07 BST (UK) »
My teenage daughters aren't interested in my research either. The youngest shows an occasional interest and has asked me to write a tree for her. The eldest "doesn't see the point, they're all dead"!!! ::)

I still think they'll show an interest when they are older. I've told my youngest that she will have to keep all the research, even if she just shoves it in her loft. She can pass it on when the time comes!

I started my research when I was 20.....having grown up with the family rumours that everyone has, and also only having one grandparent, I was curious and at that stage names were all I needed. Now I need to know about the people and their lives and to visit where they lived and breathed.

Beverley

Leics-Sharp/Baker/Underwood
Marylebone-Osborne/Tod(d)
Herts- Sear, Cato
Bucks/ Beds-Impey/Field/Hall
Herefordshire-Smallman
Glos-Poole/Byard/Smallman
Middx-Kemp/Harris/Perrin/Lee/Cooper/Morrell
Middx-Ballard
Berks-Ballard
Wilts-Ballard
Hammersmith, Middx-Cranstone