Author Topic: Paris Street, Exeter  (Read 7936 times)

Offline Downcraig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Paris Street, Exeter
« Reply #27 on: Friday 06 March 20 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alex

Sadly after about 40 years of searching I am no closer to finding out who Sir Chas' parents were. I'm still hoping for a break through somewhere ...
Kyle, Sibbat, Rea/Rae, Haw/Hall (All Portglenone)
Day (Antigua)
Lamont (Greenock)
Currie, McPhail, Morison, McArthur (All Craignish/Kilmartin area)
Ferrier (Cardross)
Logan (Larbert)
Paisley (Paisley)
Croom, Speid (Dundee)
Bushell (Liverpool)
Longton (Stockport/Liverpool)

Offline AlexF789

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 08 March 20 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Sadness, thanks for the quick reply, I will plough on elsewhere and report back if I have any joy

Alex

Offline IanT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sir Charles Holland Hastings
« Reply #29 on: Monday 09 March 20 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Alex, I'm afraid I don't have any info on Sir Charles Holland Hastings. Although a descendant of his appears in an offshoot of my family history, I have not researched this side. Your best hope will be for dee-jay to chime in on this, as I know she has done extensive research in this area.

Offline AlexF789

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 30 March 20 09:40 BST (UK) »
Dear Downcraig  I'm back on Charles Holland Hastings again, apologies if the following is too much detail 

Lichfield, St Chad parish records show he was married to Mary Gardiner in the presence of Harriet Gardiner on 19th September 1808.

Charles Holland Hastings and Mary Gardiner then have children baptised in Edinburgh and the parish records show Mary Gardner as "daughter of the late General Gardner"

I also have in Old Calton Burial Ground in Edinburgh "...and of their father Sir Charles Holland Hastings who died February 2nd 1849 and of their mother Mary, Lady Hastings who died 8th January 1861"

Finally Debretts (1828) has children of William Gardiner as ...4. Frances, b 24 May 1783, m 1808 Charles-Holland Hastings, lieut-col. in the army, and 5. Mary, b 11 Aug. 1786

So, apologies for all the preamble I think Debretts is wrong and Charles Holland Hastings married Mary daughter of General William Neville Gardiner and Harriet Wrottesley.  Can you shed any light on this?

Hope so and thanks if you can

Alex

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 30 March 20 11:20 BST (UK) »
I enjoyed the following newspaper reports immensely:

Kilkenny Moderator - Saturday 18 February 1888 page 4
Continuation from page 3 column headed
THE MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT
FOR THE COUNTY, CITY AND BOROUGH
OF KILKENNY
Lieut-General WILLIAM GARDINER (Thomastown, 1800-1801), was second son of the Right Hon. Charles Gardiner, M.P. for Tagmon [sic], 1741- 61, by Florinda, only daughter of Robert Norman, of Lagore, county Meath, and was grandson of the Right Hon. Luke Gardiner, M.P. for Thomastown 1727-55. He was born 23rd Oct., 1743. He was Colonel of the 60th Foot, and Governor of the Fort of Kingsale [sic].  ln 1791 he was appointed Minister Plenipotentiary at Brussels and at Warsaw in 1793. He had also been commander in chief of the forces in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. He died 7th Feb., 1806, having married in 1779, Harriet, Maid of Honour to the Queen, 5th  daughter of the Rev.  Sir Richard Wrottesaly [sic], 7th Bart.„ of Wrottesaly [sic], Stafford, by Lady Mary Gower, eldest daughter of John, 1st Earl Gower,  and sister of Granville, 1st Marquis of Stafford, K.G.,  by her,  who died 4th December, 1833, he had one son and four daughters. (1) Charles, born 19th November, 1780, Major 60th Foot, died unmarried.  (1) Gertrude Florinda, married, 1st 19th Sep. 1796, Charles John Clarke, of Hitchin Priory, Herts. 2ndly, 8th August, 1803, Hon. Charles Tollemache (died 28th July, 1830), of Harrington, Northampton;  (2) Harriet, married, 6th April, 1805, Robert Patrick, M.D., of Tearne [sic] House, Ayr ; (3) Francis [sic], married, 1808, Lieut.-Col. Charles Holland Hastings. (4) Mary.

Variant spellings:
Taghmon
Kinsale
Wrottesley
Trearne
Frances

Star (London) - Thursday 22 September 1808
On Monday last, at Litchfield [sic], Charles Holland Hastings, Esq. Major of the 63d Regiment, to Mary, youngest daughter of the late Lieutenant-General Gardiner, Commander of the Forces in Nova Scotia.

dee-jay
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AlexF789

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 30 March 20 17:39 BST (UK) »
Many thanks dee-jay

Alex