Author Topic: lewis of greenmeadow  (Read 19547 times)

Offline aumau

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: lewis of greenmeadow
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 May 07 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia,
That is so good of you,do i contact you through this website?
Thank you so much for your kindness,i would really like that.
Audrey

dunnquest

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello!  I live in Florida and my neighbor speaks of the area all of the time! She grew up in Pengham and her best friend lives on Greenmeadow farm!

I would love to relay any generalized memories back and forth with my neighbor.    Sincerely- dunnquest

Moderator comment: in accordance with Rootschat rules, please don't post details of living people here.  When you have made three posts you will be able to exchange such info by Personal Message.  Thanks

Offline aumau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi thank you for your response. i posted a message back but it seems to have disappeared.
The family I am looking for are descendants of Henry Lewis and his wife Nancy Ivor nee Williams.
They had 2 homes Green Meadow Mansion and Tynant house which I found on the internet.
Henry and Nancy married in 1913 .
Nancy is the daughter of Alice Francis Williams nee Grantham who was the daughter of my ancestors brother Edward Grantham.
Edward Grantham was from a family of 6 boys and 2 girls and so far his descendants are the only ones I have not managed to make contact with.
Have not been to Wales yet but because they were such a well known family and quite wealthy I believe, there should be a lot about them in the newspapers.
Would appreciate if your friend could find out more for me.
Thank you
Audrey

dunnquest

« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 January 09 07:09 GMT (UK) »
I read both messages from you and I was trying to figure out how to respond and one of them disappeared on me as well.  Our moderator wisely reminds us that we must be careful with the information that we share. 

I asked my neighbor for more info.  She was from Gilfach near Bargoed and the place in reference in the Green Meadow Farm.  It was built a few hundred years ago.

While visiting my neighbor, her telephone rang and I had a brief chance to speak with the current resident of GM Farm.  Welsh is an interesting sounding language!

I brought my neighbor some content from the internet, including a picture of the mansion of which you speak, but she was puzzled by it.

I think the original thread was an inquiry about Green Meadow mansion vs Green Meadow Farm.

I have not had the pleasure of visiting Wales.

Sincerely,
dunnquest

Offline slyvia

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 January 09 08:56 GMT (UK) »

Hello Jenny

You are right Greenmeadow Mansion was in Tongwynlais so it is understandable that your friend was confused.

I live in Cardiff and have done all my life I also have a welsh accent but not quite as pronounced as people from other areas when I speak to people
on the phone they can pick it up straight away.

Sylvia

Offline slyvia

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 29 January 09 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jenny

I have just found this on Johns Page
http://www.jlb2005.plus.com/
If you look for images of Wales you will find some very interesting pictures
of Pengam ancluding one of the farm

Sylvia

dunnquest

« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 January 09 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Moderator comment:  Posting removed due to persistent posting of information about living people.

Please pass this sort of information by Personal Message, thank you!

Offline Nights

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 05 October 13 20:50 BST (UK) »
The Lewis Family started at Van Mansion Caerphilly when Edward ap Lewis ( Edward son of Lewis) dropped the ap and became Edward Lewis. Over the generations the Lewis family spread to Llanishen House in Llanishen (Old House) to the New House in Thornhill ( Now a 4 * Hotel) Built by Thomas Lewis about 1750 on to Greenmeadow in Tongwynlais, which was pulled down in the 1940`s. Rev Wyndham Lewis lived there with his family. Wyndham Lewis Jnr became an MP and when he passed his widow went on to marry his best friend Benjamin Disraeli ( Prime Minister of UK) who became friends with Queen Victoria. I work at The Newhouse Hotel and have done a little research on both family and Hotel..

Brian - Nights at the Newhouse.

Newhouse - http://www.newhousehotel.com/

Greenmeadow - http://www.whitchurchandllandaff.co.uk/Green%20Meadow%20Tongwynlais.jpg

Disraeli - http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/PRdisraeli.htm

Offline debbuc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 18:55 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandmother's parents used to own the Lewis Arms in Tongwynlais.  When great, great granny (Martha Ann Lewis) was very young, Mary Ann Wyndham Lewis who had become fond of her, asked her parents if she could allow her daughter to come and live with her and her husband at Greenmeadow with a view to adoption.  She lived with them at Greenmeadow until her young teenage years and during that time she lived a life of 'luxury and plenty'.   She was welcomed to dinner parties and had a wonderful life there, where Disraeli was a frequent visitor and later went on to marry Mary Ann!  I have this treasured story which has been passed down from Martha Ann!