Author Topic: lewis of greenmeadow  (Read 19581 times)

Offline Nights

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: lewis of greenmeadow
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes Mary Ann did marry Benjamin Disraeli after the death of Wyndham Lewis MP

Photo of Wyndham Lewis:

http://www.newhousehotel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/New-House-Country-Hotel-History-Brian-Jenkins-Nights-of-The-New-House-Hotel.pdf

Offline Tongwynlais

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 12:15 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandmother's parents used to own the Lewis Arms in Tongwynlais.  When great, great granny (Martha Ann Lewis) was very young, Mary Ann Wyndham Lewis who had become fond of her, asked her parents if she could allow her daughter to come and live with her and her husband at Greenmeadow with a view to adoption.  She lived with them at Greenmeadow until her young teenage years and during that time she lived a life of 'luxury and plenty'.   She was welcomed to dinner parties and had a wonderful life there, where Disraeli was a frequent visitor and later went on to marry Mary Ann!  I have this treasured story which has been passed down from Martha Ann!

Hi debbuc,

I run a community website for Tongwynlais. I loved your message and I'd be interested if you have any more information or photographs from your family's ownership of the Lewis Arms.

Jack

Offline debbuc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 29 July 18 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack

I have to apologise for not getting back to you.  I totally forgot about it after I posted, but if you would like any further information (I have the words written to me by my grandmother who sadly passed away a few years ago), please email me at debsbuckley2013@outlook.com.

Best wishes
Debbie

Offline Nights

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 30 July 18 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Aumau, Yes I do have a  Lewis family in my tree, my uncle Oliver Lewis b 1894 in the Gelligaer area, after marriage he lived in Pengam Glam, and the Greenmeadow farm was just outside the village, so no connection there, thanks anyway, regards Rowley

Hi Rowley

The Lewis family sprung out of Van Mansion Caerffili, Edward Lewis donated money to start Lewis School which is not far from Gelligaer