Author Topic: WARREN family at Clonlara, Co Clare  (Read 24977 times)

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WARREN family at Clonlara, Co Clare
« on: Tuesday 22 May 07 10:30 BST (UK) »
Can anyone possibly help p-l-e-a-s-e.  I'm looking for information on John Warren (m) Eliza Powell in Kiltenanlea Parish Church in 1843.  The records for this church perished in Dublin.
John was not a native to Co Clare, so what brought him to the area?
Did he work on the Massey Estate and has anyone got access to Estate Papers?
Any snippet of information would be most welcome.
Thanks

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: WARREN family at Clonlara, Co Clare
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 May 10 06:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I notice the date of your post was 2007 so I hope the following info is still useful.

I have in my possession a booklet called "Kiltenanlea Parish Church" Clonlara, Co Clare. 1782-1992 by Freddie Bourke (Nov 1992). Published by Clonlara Development Association.

There is one report in the gravestone inscriptions for a Warren family.  Most of the deaths are 1900-1929.  There is an Eliza Warren of Coolisteige who died 19 Jan 1885 but no age is given.  I can provide the other names if you wish.

The booklet also states that the parish register is held at St. Flannan's Cathedral, Killaloe, the marriage register begins 20 Jul 1845, baptisms 1882 and the burials Sep 1881.  They are complete.

Regards, Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 May 10 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sincerest thanks for your reply.   

I have a copy of that book and the dates mentioned.  However, I would LOVE to know where the first Warren in Clonlara originated as he was definitely not from that county.  By marrying a Powell lady from Clonlara 1843
and later taking over her family home, he began what became long association with the area.  Sadly the CoI church records for Kiltenanlea perished, so I can't get the marriage record to see John's address, or the name of his father. 

Do you have a connection with Clonlara too?

Cheers

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 May 10 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My great great grand mother, Mary Wall, was born in Clonlara about the 1830s and migrated alone to Moreton Bay (Brisbane) in the 1850s.  Her parents, James and Mary Wall, were still alive and living in Clonlara when she migrated.  They were RC.  Mary is my "favourite" ancestor.

In 1994, my OH and I spent a fortnight staying in a B&B at Clonlara and met the wonderful people of the village.

Cheers, Gazania

PS I wish I could be of more help with your Warrens.
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
VOLLER, Surrey
WINCH, Surrey

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 May 10 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Glad you enjoyed your stay in Clonlara.  I visit the village each year and my gg grandparents home is still standing, but unoccupied.   If only those walls could talk......

Best Wishes

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 May 10 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Glad to make contact with someone else with a Clonlara connection.  Would love to have a drink again in the pub and buy some bread at the post office shop. We were shown the acre where the (later) Walls lived near the bridge  with the road bisecting the farmstead following the Shannon scheme. 

Are there any more new homes for commuters to Limerick?

When ever I get down in the dumps I think about Mary Wall, who at the age of about 18 left her family behind (why?), sailed to the former Moreton Bay Penal settlement only 7 years after the penal settlement closed, with 176 other brave young girls from Co Clare on the same ship.  Mary married the son of a convict and the pair of them roughed it in the bush and successfully raised 10 kids.  Both Mary & her husband died in their mid forties.  Their descendants have done them proud.

Pardon my nostalgia.  It is late.  Bye Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
VOLLER, Surrey
WINCH, Surrey

Offline margaretspearin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Gerald Mangan Davis son of Margaret and Oren Davis
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 August 10 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hello
I just read your post about Wall family in Clonlara. I live in Clonlara and think that you speak about the Wall family who lived below the village on the Doonass road. In my generation there was Eddie and Jimmy Wall. There is also a Wall family who lived on the Killaloe road between Clonlara Village and Blackwater. There was a Jimmy Wall and Eddie Wall there also, they lived with their mother who was still alive in the late 1960's. This wall family were friends and neighbours of my mothers family who lived across the road. My mother is 85 years old and i will ask her about the families as she has a great memory and knew both families well.

All the best

Margaret
Spearin - Mangan- Considine- O'Brien- Maschmann- O'Reilly - Corry - Hackett - Naughton  Davis - and many more

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 06:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your interest.  I shall PM you as we may be discussing living persons here.  Best regards, Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
VOLLER, Surrey
WINCH, Surrey

Offline Helena7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 August 10 14:39 BST (UK) »

Hi I am new to this Site, so hope I am doing things properly !

I see that you live in Clonlara. I believe that my Granmother - Helena (or Lena) Whelan came from Clonlara (or Coollisteige). She was born in 1901. Her father was Maurice Whelan and her mother was Mary Keane from Coolderra, Killokennedy.

I wonder if any of these names are know to anybody or if anyone has any information about these families.

I would be grateful for any information.
Thank you
Helena Redmond