Author Topic: Strange funny place names  (Read 14774 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: FOR SALE: "Shakespeare My Butt!" Strange funny place names
« Reply #45 on: Friday 26 November 04 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Here we go, an idea of a Christmas present for you!

Topic: FOR SALE: "Shakespeare My Butt!" Strange funny place names
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,11381.0.html
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Researching Family from Ireland during potato fam
    • View Profile
Re: FOR SALE: "Shakespeare My Butt!" Strange funny place names
« Reply #46 on: Friday 26 November 04 02:09 GMT (UK) »
There is a Truth Or Consequences,New Mexico.  It had another name but years ago the was a telly show by that name and the town folk changed its name to match the telly show for some reason.  There is also a Hope, New Mexico, the only place in U.S. to have been bombed during W.W.II, and that was by the U.S. doing training!!!   The entire town consists of a general store/post office and wide spread large ranches so no damage done.  The people there are so proud of the bombing there is a sign out about it.  On the Island of Grand Cayman there is a section called "Hell" because the ground is rocky and pitted like a moon crater.  A tourist attraction there is sending a post card home from the P.O. there marked "Greeting From Hell"      Leagen    P.S.  Where can I buy that book in U.S.?
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.