Author Topic: Lowden  (Read 14040 times)

Offline eliza13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lowden
« on: Thursday 24 May 07 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hello, Can any one help. I am doing my family history, my ancestor's came from Haugh of Urr, Dumfrieshire, from 1745 to about 1810 the Lowden family owned Miekle Culmain Farm & Burnside Farm, my 3 times great grandfather William Lowden was a student of Divinity circa 1750, William married Janet mc Roberts circa 1804 . son John Lowden born circa 1818, came down to Manchester area do not know when . John married at Manchester Cathedral 1845, he was a Police man then, Any help will be most greatful for. Thank you

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lowden
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 May 07 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Eliza and Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Could you perhaps tell us if you've checked the IGI on www.familysearch.org or the Scotland's People site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk or have looked through any other records sources.

The two that I've mentoned  are the main online sources of Baptismal and marriage information for Scotland.

This would help any duplication of effort when we are trying to help  :)

Thanks and regards

Gadget

PS - I think you'll find that Haugh of Urr is in the Parish of Urr in Kirkcudbrighshire:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haugh_of_Urr

http://www.scotlandsfamily.com/parish-map-wigtown.htm

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 May 07 15:47 BST (UK) »
Is this them on the 1851 Census for Hulme, Manchester:

HO107/2221 Folio 133 Page 49
13 Fletcher's Square
John, 34, Tea Dealer, b. Dumfries, Scotland
Martha, 26, b. Sale, Cheshire
Agnes, 4, b. Bolton
William Henry, 3, b. Manchester
Elizabeth, 1, b. Manchester

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 May 07 16:16 BST (UK) »
I haven't found anyone whio looks like him in Scotland on the 1841 census. There's a possible in Bury, Lancs but he's a draper, living with a few others b. Scotland. I'll put it up here but am not convinced it is him:

Garden St, Bury HO107 Piece 538 Book 13 Folio 25 Page 1

I think it's a multi- occupied house. The first listed is a William Johnson, silk dyer, b. Foreign Parts but it looks as if this might be a separate household:

John Johnson, 35-39, Draper, b. Scotland
Robert Johnson, 25-29, draper, b. Scotland
John Lowden, 25-29, draper, b. Scotland
Elizabeth Murry (?), 35 -39, Female servant, b. Scotland
Margaret Hume, 40-44, Independent, b. Scotland

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 May 07 17:05 BST (UK) »
There is a John Lowden 25 -29, independent means, at Meikle Clock, Colvend, Kirkcudbrightshire on the 1841 census Parish 861 ED 4

and also one aged 20-24, no occupation in St Andrews Street, Kelton (probably the Castle Douglas part of Kelton) Parish - 869 ED 1A

However, I'm not convince by either entry. I'll await your response.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 May 07 17:44 BST (UK) »
From my copy of the Monumental Inscriptions - Parish of Urr, Kirkcudbrightshire

William Lowden, late of Meikle Culmain, d.17 Nov 1830, aged 75. Daughter Agnes, d.6 Dec 1807 Meikle Culmain, 2 yrs, son David, d. Meikle Culmain, 21 March 1812, 1 yr. son James, d Haugh of Urr 16 March 1836, aged 27, wife Janet McRoberts d Haugh of Urr 4 December 1852 aged 65, granddaughter Mary Heron d. 11 Feb 1856, aged 13, s David, d. Ayr 31 July 1870 aged 50. William M H Lowden at Haugh of Urr, 24 Feb 1878, aged 71,daughter Agnes d. Haugh of Urr 18 March 1892, aged 76

There are quite a few more entries that seem to be the same family, including reference to the will of a James Lowden of Culmain 1793* and that William and James Lowden owned equal shares of Meikle Culmain in 1799.

* this Testament Testamentar (TT)can be purchased,  viewed and downloaded from the Scotlands People site - url previously give. Info on what a TT is is given here:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/faqs/questions/index.aspx?106

Gadget

Offline boo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 August 08 05:21 BST (UK) »
I am  a descendant of William Lowden and Janet McRobert (s)

I descend from their son David Lowden (later referred to as Loudon)  who was born in Urr.  8th Sep 1825
He married Jane  Hunter

Their Daughter Jane married married James Green.

David (son of William Lowden and Jane McRobert) died 30 July 1876 in Ayr

would love to get int touch and swap info

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 August 08 05:31 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat boo77.

Looks like Eliza hasn't been online for over a year. You can send her a personal message if you wish-:
click on her name, then at the bottom of the page you can select "send this rootschatter a personal message", and away you go.

(You might also want to let her know that Gadget has found some very useful information about her family)  ;)

Offline boo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 August 08 06:00 BST (UK) »
thanks for that Ruskie.  what information have you found Gadget?  Does it refer to the Lowden's?

Thanks for the warm welcome