Author Topic: A grandfather who had no children???  (Read 24335 times)

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A grandfather who had no children???
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 April 09 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Gwen,

How nice to hear from you. It's a distant link indeed. My husband's great grandfather's sister was married to Jean Sutherland's son  ;D. I loved to put it that way.....

The information I have is that Jean Sutherland had 3 brothers,

Alexander b 1791 Lived at Shempston worked as estate factor for Sir William Gordon Cumming of Altyre.
Erick b 1798 was Military Secretary & Colonel, Hydrabad, India
John b 1793 was Colonel & Governor General, India

I am intrigued to hear what the real connection to William Sutherland is, if there is any. 

Greenvalley
ANDERSON: Moray & Jamaica
ELDER: Stirlingshire, Perthshire & Glasgow
WILSON: Glenisla, Alyth & Dundee
GRANT & ATKINSON:Northumberland
HARRIS: Dron and Glasgow
MATSON: Glasgow and Belfast
OLIVER, HARDY & GIBSON: Ireland, Antrim Belfast
TODD: England and Jamaica
McGRIGOR, McILCHONNEL: Perthshire

Offline gwend

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 April 09 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hello,
yes, I am descended from Lt. col. (governor in India), John, who was the son of Errick Sutherland and Jean Lawson. There was also another brother Robert and sisters Eliza, Mary and Amelia from that generation, As far as i can tell... there is no connection to William Sutherland....
As I am still trying to figure out how to use this site, I don't want to make any mistakes, I would rather contact you offline, if I can figure out how...
G

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 11:45 BST (UK) »
Sticking my nose in to help Gwen - post one more message (your 3rd) and you will be enabled to send Personal Messages in which you can exchange email addresses.

To send a PM, click on the green scroll icon on a post by greenvalley and select "Send this member a personal message".  All very straightforward.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline FSOL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 06:58 BST (UK) »
I, too, would like to solve this frustrating mystery. As far as I can see the "grandfather" link between Errick and William of Roscommon is a pure red herring. I have approached the Libindx people in Morayshire several times, but the unavailability of the records seems to be an ongoing problem. In addition, several Sutherland family documents and trees state that William of Roscommon died without issue (dsp or decessit sine prole). Obviously many families have had a good reason to link Errick with the preceding generations; or was it wishful thinking? My interest in this is through my daughter-in-law and the Sutherlands in India.
One other thing - Gwend mentioned siblings Robert, Eliza , Mary and Amelia, but I can't find anything about them.
Best regards, Frank, Melbourne

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank,

I have to admit that I haven't come accross any other children than the ones I mentioned, but that is because their baptisms were all on the same page on Scotlandspeople.

My knowledge of the Sutherlands in India is very sketchy. I know that John Sutherland left a will, and that his sister Jean Anderson was mentioned in it. But it seems that he had no money  :(

I also have a document Gwen sent me, in which William Sutherland from Calcutta claims the title of Earl, but I cannot find a connection between Eric Sutherland, portioner of Rosevalley and Keam, Duffus to the Sutherlands of Dunrobin.

The girls Gwen mentioned were the daughters of John Sutherland, not his sisters.

Just let me know if you want some more info.

Greenvalley

ANDERSON: Moray & Jamaica
ELDER: Stirlingshire, Perthshire & Glasgow
WILSON: Glenisla, Alyth & Dundee
GRANT & ATKINSON:Northumberland
HARRIS: Dron and Glasgow
MATSON: Glasgow and Belfast
OLIVER, HARDY & GIBSON: Ireland, Antrim Belfast
TODD: England and Jamaica
McGRIGOR, McILCHONNEL: Perthshire

Offline gwend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 August 09 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Frank and greenvalley.
I seem to be the confusing everyone here... sorry, please allow me to clarify what I know.
Lt. Col. John Sutherland was the brother of Jean Sutherland-Anderson. His children by his wife Ushrut Hussaini, were John, Eric, Robert, Alexander, Eliza, Mary and Amelia. Half of the children (Alexander and the girls) went back to India while Eric and John remained in South Africa.
Having looked a bit deeper into the mystery of William, I am just as confused?
I will keep watching to see if any of you solve this mystery.
Gwen

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 August 09 13:58 BST (UK) »
Could Errick Sutherland's father be a well looked after, but illegitimate, only son?
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline FSOL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 September 09 05:01 BST (UK) »
Just an update from Morayshire - the possibility of a link between Errick and his grandparents is said to have originated from a document referred to as, "an instrument of resignation ad remanentium" and which is recorded in the particular register of sasines for Elgin and Nairn, and dated 19 August 1813. In turn, a sasine is an act of taking possession of feudal property. All this is related to some legal decision made in favour of Errick, who was the procurator for George Kay over a third part of the lands of Roseisle in Duffus. I am in process of trying to obtain a copy of this document, but who knows whether or not the family information we are seeking will be revealed within. Keep your fingers crossed. Regards, Frank

Offline mmulvey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 13 December 10 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have records of the descendants of Eric and/or John Sutherland, sons of Lt Colonel John Sutherland and his wife Ushrut who remained in South Africa after their father's death?

My grandmother was Karolina Rika Charlotte Sutherland, born in "Hout Bay" South Africa in 1886 - she married Ernest Albert Mulvey born in Hartlepool Durham in 1879 but listed as living in Glanford Brigg in the 1911 census. They returned to S. Africa in 1919 where they both died in the 1950's-60's.

I believe that she was descended from one of Col. Sutherland's sons but have yet to find the actual lineage.