Author Topic: Sheridan - St Mary's Drogheda  (Read 15538 times)

Offline sueclog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sheridan - St Mary's Drogheda
« on: Monday 28 May 07 20:20 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with info about John Sheridan, born about 1865 at St Mary's Drogheda? All the info we have about him is from the will in his army paybook. He was a colour sergeant in the Royal Irish Rifles. It also gives as siblings: Matthew, Francis (male or female unknown) and Catherine. His parents were John and Ann.

Does anyone know if there are any records for this time for St Mary's?

Can anyone tell us about St Mary's? Is it a church, a village or an area? And why is it in Meath when the rest of Drogheda seems to be in Louth? ???
Greeney (Grinney); Bulley; Bentham; Holme; Sheridan; Clifton; Massey; Clarke;

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Sheridan - St Mary's Drogheda
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 July 07 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hiya sueclog,
You've got me baffled here. Where did you find St Mary's in Meath ??? I've found a church in the town and a picture of the remains of St Mary's Priory, Drogheda which seems to be in the town too. The only St Mary's in Meath seems to be the ruins of an Abbey. I'm certain John Sheridan was born at St Mary's Hospital, Drogheda, Co. Louth.

Christopher

Offline sueclog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 July 07 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher!

We have his army paybook from the Royal Irish Rifles which states his place of birth as St Mary's, Drogheda, County Meath. This is at present the only evidence we have about his life before he settled in England.

Sueclog

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 July 07 22:07 BST (UK) »
It's all very confusing, sueclog.

The Glenside Hotel which is located on the Dublin Road, Drogheda advertise their business as being in Co. Meath but the Drogheda Borough Council, Fair Street, Drogheda is happy showing the Council address as being in Co. Louth. The town may be on the border between the two counties. www.aaireland.ie say that Drogheda is in Co. Louth. You can check that by going to the Information Desk on their site and use Routeplanning. The distance I requested was that between Drogheda and Mosney.

Christopher

Offline KDQ

• RootsChat Member
  • Need to Focus!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 August 07 22:38 BST (UK) »
The Glenside Hotel is actually in county Meath... but is minutes away from border of county Louth... in parts, houses on one side of the road are County Meath and on the other side County Louth!..These days Drogheda is definately in County Louth....

John Sheridan could have been born near St Marys Church http://ireland.archiseek.com/buildings_ireland/louth/drogheda/st_marys_rc.html...which today is in County Louth.. but I have seen it been said to be in County Meath before.. seems to have been a bit of a grey area years ago...  Contact details for St Marys Church (will be able to advise where you can access records etc):

St. Mary's Presbytery
Dublin Road.   
Tel: +353 41 9834958         
Fax +353 41 9845144    

St. Mary's Parish Centre/Office
24 James St.
Tel: +353 41 9834587
Tel: +353 41 9838347

I don't know the history of St Marys Hospital, nowadays its a hospital for the elderly.  You may wish to contact them - maybe John Sheridan was born here..:

St Mary's Hospital

Dublin Road
Drogheda
Co Louth
Telephone:   +353 41 9838680
Fax:   +353 41 9844970

Another idea would be that he was born near a historical bridge named St Marys http://louth.goireland.com/scripts/low/xq/asp/areaid.186/areatype.C/cat.9/SubjectID.155/PremisesID.11896/qx/premises.htm .. these three places are all within walking distancy ... so perhaps the whole area at the time was known as St Marys....

Have no idea if this helps at all..Kind regards, Karen
Quinn - Tyrone, Ireland ; Greymouth/Waipori/Waimate South/Otago, New Zealand
Galway Carlow, Ireland
Grace Ireland
McSorley Ireland
Donnelly Skreen, County Meath, Ireland
Matthews Tyrone and Monaghan, Ireland
McKenna Tyedavnet, Monaghan, Ireland
O'Neill - Dublin, Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 August 07 23:09 BST (UK) »
Best place to search first is www.Familysearch.org.
IGI lists John Sherridan born 15 Dec.1866 Drogheda St. Mary's, Meath, Ireland
son of John Sherridan & Anne (Winters)
Also, daughter Bridget born 28 Feb.1865.
Both records are under 'born' but note below say extracted birth or christening record so the dates might be birthdates taken from baptismal register.
Although civil registration of births in Ireland began in 1864 it was not compulsory until 1870 and many early births were not recorded. In this case it looks like St. Mary's church records might be the place to search.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sueclog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 August 07 19:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you all of you for all of your efforts. I've been away so haven't replied before.

Bridget isn't a name which has surfaced before. In his will in the army paybook, John cites brothers and sisters as Matthew, Frances and Catherine and gives them all as being resident in St marys, Drogheds, County Meath. His parents however are definitely given as John and Ann, so this seems to be a good lead.

I haven't got paid access to IGI. I've looked at the familysearch website you sent, but am struggling to find my way around. and can't find Bridget at all. Any suggestions?

Thank you Karen for the phone numbers - that will be worth following up as well.

:)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 August 07 15:54 BST (UK) »
I haven't got paid access to IGI. I've looked at the familysearch website you sent, but am struggling to find my way around. and can't find Bridget at all.

IGI (International Genealogical Index) is available at www.familysearch.org (free).
If you click on search tab, then fill in only father- John Sheridan, mother- Anne (and no other boxes), then click search button Bridget will come up.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline DeeSigelkow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 July 17 19:18 BST (UK) »
My 3rd great grandfather was John Sheridan. He married Ann Winters in 1856. From what I can find they had six children: Catherine b1858, Mary b1859, Rose Ann b1861, Francis b1863, Bridget b1865 (my 2nd great grandmother), and John b1866 who is mentioned above and would be my 3rd great uncle.
I am currently stuck at my grandfather John and his wife Annie. I can not find ancestors of either! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!