Author Topic: Apprentices  (Read 5052 times)

Offline Mumsie2131

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Councillor John Heap
    • View Profile
Apprentices
« on: Tuesday 29 May 07 12:43 BST (UK) »
My gt gt grandfather was a tailor in Compstall would he have served an apprenticeship ? Are there any records of apprenticeships ? If so where might I find them ?
Heap - Holmfirth WRY
Rhodes-Flockton WRY & NE Cheshire
Ridgway- NE Cheshire & Lancahire
Roebuck - Upperthong WRY
Wild - NECheshire
Riley - NE Cheshire & Derbyshire
Greaves - NE Cheshire & Lancashire

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentices
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 June 07 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hello mumsie
Everyone who wants to go into a trade has to serve time so to speak before they are fully trained for the job as they do now.Depending on the trade some apprenticeships took years some months.In your ancestors case he would most probably would have worked in a tailors when young to learn the trade.As far as know he would have been given a piece of paper/certificate to say he was a qualified tailor.If they did give them in those days :-\

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Raphael

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 June 07 02:57 BST (UK) »
Hello mumsie
Everyone who wants to go into a trade has to serve time so to speak before they are fully trained for the job as they do now.Depending on the trade some apprenticeships took years some months.In your ancestors case he would most probably would have worked in a tailors when young to learn the trade.As far as know he would have been given a piece of paper/certificate to say he was a qualified tailor.If they did give them in those days :-\

Celia
Hello Celia,
I was an indentured apprentice at the age of 14, and my my father signed papers that he would see I carried out my training to the full.
The apprenticeship was for 7 YEARS
In those days it was neccessary to go to Night School, and as I was being trained as a Textile apprenticed Loom Overlooker the course I was on was compatable with general engineering workshop practice, which involved Maths, Trigonometry lograthyms, Algebra. Technical Drawing to draughting standards, and the use of lathe.
The aim was to get through the Night School Courses to eventually gain the Higher National Certificate at the age of 21 when you were then considered a MANThe rest of the training was in the workshop and in the Weaving sheds and of course it was essential to know all about Weaving, and I was taught by highly skilled  women weavers at first until, I was able to weave on my own.
The Foreman Overlooker was my tutor, and gave me tasks on maintaining & repairing looms and in some cases MAKING parts not readily available due to WW2..
As WW2" was well under way, I would soon be conscripted into the Forces I volunteered at 17½, but under the law, my apprenticehip was protected and would continue after serving, and fortunately for me I had 12 weeks rehabilatation course  at Göttingen Unv' Germany in their massive Engineering Workshop, whilst with the Occupation Forces, with dozens of other apprentice tradesmen.
Its a long story, but suffice to say, the training in those days was very precise, and today when I talk to the youngsters they often ask, Oh where did you learn that??
..........and I answer A levels O levels.....what are they I ask ??
Kind regards
Raphael
UK & Germany
Delaunay, Hackney,McIntosh, Culloden, Manchester -Lancashire, Salford, Blackley, Crumpsall, Cheetham Hill M/cr.  Grappenhall-Warrington.   Gonter-Hackney Düsseldorf & Derendorf , NRWF Germany.

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 June 07 08:57 BST (UK) »
My gt gt grandfather was a tailor in Compstall would he have served an apprenticeship ? Are there any records of apprenticeships ? If so where might I find them ?
Hi Mumsie,
I found the identure/apprentice records for my ancestors in the archives at my local heritage library.
Cheers,
Pat.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 June 07 09:46 BST (UK) »
Did or does Compstall have a Guildhall?  If it does start there.  Otherwise the local reference library should know of any local source.  Any records may have been deposited in the county record office.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 June 07 13:38 BST (UK) »
Raphael
What an eye opener  you certainly aimed for the top and jumped in the deep end there ;)

I was being trained as a Textile apprenticed Loom Overlooker the course I was on was compatable with general engineering workshop practice, which involved Maths, Trigonometry lograthyms, Algebra. Technical Drawing to draughting standards, and the use of lathe.
My son is now in his thirties he has always had a head for numbers and a memory for them found that out when he fourteen.He was also good at the drawing board,i started guiding him towards his future from then on.He would have had a future as a draftsman,when he left school i brought the subject up.He didn't want to spend years doing the training,he had the talent so it was disappointing.He has put it to good use though he has been making leadlights since in his teens.Your memory of the cotton trade will be of interest to those with ancestors that worked in the trade like mine.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885