Author Topic: Please help me find my elusive Georges!  (Read 3929 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Please help me find my elusive Georges!
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 14:13 BST (UK) »
I believe Amelia George was the sister of my William Thomas George.  This ties in to the George family I have tracked backwards in the census.

Based on LDS IGI records, I also purchased these birth records, which tie in with the census:

7 June 1840, St. Leonards, Shoreditch, Amelia, daughter of Thomas George, weaver, and Elizabeth George formerly Robinson.

4 April 1848, Bishopsgate, William, son of Thomas George, butcher, and Elizabeth George formerly Robinson.

Yes, I see.  That fits in nicely with 1841, where Thomas is rather helpfully a poulterer, and 1851 where he's a porter.  Seems son William didn't fall far from the tree :D

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 14:22 BST (UK) »
I see that William (who seems to have been William and not William Thomas at baptism) appears to have a twin - Susannah. Both brith dates given as 4th April and christened together on 30th April.

Fizzy
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 14:23 BST (UK) »

Mary Ann George, daughter, 17, born Mile End New Town, Middlesex  [she's too old to be their daughter]

I wonder if this is a sister of William - IGI has a baptism at St Botolph, Bishopsgate for a Mary Ann GEORGE, daughter of Robert and Elisabeth, b 6 May 1853, bapt 10 Jun 1855.  This is of course the same church where William was baptised - also apparently a Susannah GEORGE with the same parents' names  born 4 Apr 1848 and bapt 30 Apr 1848 - a twin of William?

Apologies if you already have all of this!

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 14:24 BST (UK) »
However, the 1871 Georges are living next door to a Thomas George 38, who might be a brother (or even a father if the age is wrong!), who is a poulterer. That ties in nicely with the 1881 family you cite.

I wonder if Mary Ann is Thomas' daughter?

meles

meles,

Thank you for taking a look at those!  I do think that Thomas was William's brother.  It's possible that Mary Ann was Thomas's daughter but I can't tell for certain from the censuses.

If I've got the right Thomas in 1861, it lists a son named John who was actually his brother.  So who knows with these folks. 

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 14:30 BST (UK) »
I see that William (who seems to have been William and not William Thomas at baptism) appears to have a twin - Susannah. Both brith dates given as 4th April and christened together on 30th April.
Fizzy

Fizzy,

That's brilliant!  I hadn't seen Susannah's entry!  Yes, that must be his twin and that would explain why the time of birth is listed on his birth record:  4 April 1848, 4 H 35 M.  A.M.

Cool!

Thanks!
Josephine
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 14:30 BST (UK) »

James Henry Regelous Birth Bethnal Green Dec Qtr 1901 1c 181

James Henry and Sarah Ann Regelous seem to have had about five children.  I'm guessing, based on my great-aunt's letters, that they were James Henry (October-December 1901), Elizabeth Sarah (January-March 1903), Harriet (April-June 1904), Jane Matilda (January-March 1906) and Susannah Matilda (July-September 1907).

to confirm:

James Henry (Junior) birth as above
Elizabeth Sarah Birth March Qtr 1903 Bethnal Green 1c 187
Harriet Birth June Qtr 1904 Bethnal Green 1c 178
Herbert Thomas Sept Qtr 1905 Bethnal Green 1c 189 ..... is this one of yours???
Jane Matilda March Qtr 1906 Bethnal Green 1c 188
Susannah Matilda Sept Qtr 1907 Bethnal Green 1c 140

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 14:36 BST (UK) »
i have found another birth for the Regelous which defentley relates to the marriage in Dec Qtr 1900,

Mary E Regelous March Qtr 1912 Bethnal Green 1c 296

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 14:43 BST (UK) »
toni*,

Thank you for the other Regelous births!

At this point, I don't know if those other two were the children of James Henry and Sarah Ann Regelous or if they belonged to another Regelous branch in the Bethnal Green.  James Henry had some siblings and cousins in that area.

All I have is the names that were in one of my great-aunt's letters and those seem to correspond with the five births listed above.

A Regelous descendant recently contacted me via Rootschat and he has promised to share some info once he has gathered it.  I hope that he will be able to answer those questions at some point.

I can't wait for the 1911 census to be released!  I'm just hoping it comes out on a subscription site with an index and not on a pay-per-view site!

Regards,
Josephine

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 14:46 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is a sister of William - IGI has a baptism at St Botolph, Bishopsgate for a Mary Ann GEORGE, daughter of Robert and Elisabeth, b 6 May 1853, bapt 10 Jun 1855.  This is of course the same church where William was baptised - also apparently a Susannah GEORGE with the same parents' names  born 4 Apr 1848 and bapt 30 Apr 1848 - a twin of William?

Apologies if you already have all of this!

Anna

Anna,

Thank you for finding that record for Mary Ann George!  I will have to take a look at it!

It's interesting that you and Fizzy found William's twin but I didn't see it when I was looking in February!  That's fabulous!

I hope no one feels the need to apologize for finding something that I might already have.  You are all doing me a great favour and I appreciate your hard work!   :) 

Regards,
Josephine