Author Topic: Please help me find my elusive Georges!  (Read 3928 times)

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Please help me find my elusive Georges!
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 14:58 BST (UK) »
Susannah died SepQ 1848.

So interesting about the times on the birth certs.

Fizzy

PS - did Thomas george change wives between 1851 and 1861 then.
Cornwall - Mutton Brown Trevethan Mugford Higham
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 15:07 BST (UK) »
Susannah died SepQ 1848.

So interesting about the times on the birth certs.

Fizzy

PS - did Thomas george change wives between 1851 and 1861 then.

Thank you, Fizzy! 

Yet more records to add to my wish list, LOL!

I had thought that Thomas Senior and wife Elizabeth might have died after the 1851 census was taken because I couldn't find them in 1861.  However, he is not listed as deceased on daughter's marriage record from March 1865. 

I think Thomas Jr. was married to Mary in 1861 and Sarah in 1871.  I can't find Thomas Jr. after 1871. 

I'll check my files to see what I might have found on FreeBMD that might pertain to them.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 15:25 BST (UK) »
Perhaps they just lived together. Perhaps she was the Sarah Mitchell that was named somewhere along the line.

1851 Whitechapel - for your consideration

Henry Pope
Elizabeth Pope
Sarah  1844
Robert 1847
Samuel 1849

Could Sarah have used her brother's name for her father as she didnt know her fathers name perhaps ?

Fizzy

MODIFY : Just looked at 1861 and it is more likely that this Sarah was 7mths and not 7 as recorded in 1851.
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 15:48 BST (UK) »
[Edited to remove extraneous and confusing information.]

Fizzy,

Yes, perhaps they lived together.  That's a good point about the Mitchell name.

I'm a total loss with Sarah Pope. 

I had seen the family that you pointed out but, as you say, the age doesn't line up with what we think we know.  If she was wrong about her father's name (and I think she was), how, oh, how will I ever figure it out?  I don't have access to the baptisms in all of Middlesex.  Maybe she was illegitimate.  If only English marriage records had the mother's names!  If only English death records had the parents' names! 

Thanks!
Josephine
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 18:29 BST (UK) »
The witnesses to the marriage of William Thomas George and Sarah Pope were Frederick and Amelia Walton.  

I've just received their marriage record:

13 March 1865, St. Matthews Church, St. Georges East, Frederick Walton, 22, bachelor, bricklayer, son of Frederick Walton, bricklayer, & Amelia George, 21, spinster, daughter of Thomas George, butcher.

I think I have this couple in 1871 as "Whalton" with no children.  I can't find them after 1871.

I believe Amelia George was the sister of my William Thomas George.  This ties in to the George family I have tracked backwards in the census.

Based on LDS IGI records, I also purchased these birth records, which tie in with the census:

7 June 1840, St. Leonards, Shoreditch, Amelia, daughter of Thomas George, weaver, and Elizabeth George formerly Robinson.

4 April 1848, Bishopsgate, William, son of Thomas George, butcher, and Elizabeth George formerly Robinson.

Amelia George & Frederick Walton Details.

i have checked Freebmd and Amelia George is def. listed as being born in June Qtr 1844 in Westminster 1 442

there were three Frederick Waltons born in 1843 which yours would have been according to the marriage certificate.

the one that jumps out at me is Frederick Walton b.dec qtr 1843 Bethnal Green 2 53the other two are Frederick Walton b. sept qtr 1843 New Forest 8 82 (new forest is Hampshire) and Frederick Walter Walton  b. dec qtr 1843 Wycombe (Buckinghamshire) 6 410, as there was no mention of a middle name on the marriage certificate you can be pretty sure the fist one i listed being born in Bethnal Green is yours.

there were twins born in St Georges East in March 1865 (the same as the marriage of Amelia and Frederick) which i think is more than coincidence however you cannot be sure without purchasing their birth certificates. Alice Walton St Geo East Mar Qtr 1865 1c436 and Daniel Walton St Geo East Mar Qtr 1865 1c441
i believe that Daniel may have died in Q3 1869 in lambeth although he is listed as being one year old, as far as i can see there were no Daniel Waltons born in 1868 and Daniel b.1865 is the closest age wise.
the baby info. is all circumstantial.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline fizzybubble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 18:40 BST (UK) »
DONT LAUGH.

I thought I would just print this off so that I can work on it and scribble on it.

BE WARNED - it comes to 21 sides of A4 - enough to make a booklet !!!!!! I left it to print while I was having my tea and expected to come back and find a few pages........

Hahahahahahahahahah

Fizzy
Yorkshire - Thirlwall

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 18:44 BST (UK) »
Amelia George & Frederick Walton Details.

Thank you, toni!

I have made a note of your findings and will take a close look at them!

Regards,
Josephine

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 18:46 BST (UK) »
DONT LAUGH.

I thought I would just print this off so that I can work on it and scribble on it.

BE WARNED - it comes to 21 sides of A4 - enough to make a booklet !!!!!! I left it to print while I was having my tea and expected to come back and find a few pages........

Hahahahahahahahahah

Fizzy

Fizzy,

I'm nothing if not thorough in my notes!   ;D

I am laughing...  but I'm sorry about all your paper!

Regards,
Josephine