Author Topic: Another newcomer to Irish family research - does Cork City have good resources?  (Read 9612 times)

Offline Kiskeam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Another newcomer to Irish family research - does Cork City have good resources?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 03 August 07 20:20 BST (UK) »
My recent use of the Mallow Heritage Centre was most satisfactory.  On 5 July 2007 I airmailed from New Zealand for a Baptism search.  I was then aware that my grandfather had an elder sister.

On 18 July I received the results from MHC and found that my grandfather was the youngest of 10 children born to John Kepple and Catherine Riordan whose Baptism records were found in the Newmarket Parish.

The MHC searched 46 parishes of the Diocese of Clyone to locate that information. The information provided was date, name of child; parents; and witnesses.

I certainly gained a wealth of new information which more than justified the fees paid.

Kiskeam
Keppel O'Callaghan Riordan Harrington Dwyer Halpin O'Brien

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Another newcomer to Irish family research - does Cork City have good resources?
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 August 07 07:08 BST (UK) »
I'm also awaiting a "general search" for my Fitzgerald girls from the Mallow Centre, these girls were from Co.Cork!!!  And although having a small heart tremor at the prices (about $65.00 Australian dollars), I'm at least hoping it will eliminate some parishes. 

But.....I've been waiting since 11 July......, so I'm hoping that something may turn up soon!.  But with a name like Fitzgerald....and from somewhere in Co.Cork, I can certainly work out why it's taken some time.

Webby
Wing, Isted,Lashmore, - Horsted Keynes
Green, Goldsmith,Mockford,Blackmar,Geer - Falmer & Brighton
Wing, Hack, Gray, Haywood Brighton
White, Vass, Tolhurst, Thatcher Sussex
Attree, Patching, Earle - Barcombe Sussex
Davies, Owen, - Llangrannog, Cardiganshire, Wales
Thomas, Burn - Gwennap,Cornwall
Rice - Portland,Dorset

Offline kingjohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another newcomer to Irish family research - does Cork City have good resourc
« Reply #20 on: Friday 17 April 09 16:26 BST (UK) »
Information on Nott or Knoot Family in Cork.

NOTT OR KNOTT, Elias, Cabinet Maker and Upholsterer, 27 Duncan-street, Cork 1827-1829 (in partnership with Francis II and John Nott 1825-1829).
NOTT OR KNOTT I, Francis, Cabinet Maker, Duncan-street, Cork 1798-1805. Nott had a number of marriages 1) In the Diocese of Cork and Ross, Country Cork of Francis Nott to Elizabeth Thornburgh in 1783 ( Marriages; Diocese of Cork and Ross, Country Cork); 2) Mr Francis Nott, Cabinet Maker of Grattan-street to Mrs O’Keefe relict of the late Denis O’Keefe Esq of Kilcrea (HC, 24th November 1794). Cabinet Maker.  Such working Cabinet Maker as are disposed to attend regularly to their business, will meet proper encouragement, and contestant employment by applying at the ware-rooms of LeGrand and Crosbie, Samuel Cox, T Shirkwin, and F Nott where good workmen shall receive one guinea per week and upwards according to merit, and London prices for all defined articles in the Cabinet line.  Young lads of good connections will be taken as apprentices, on moderate terms. Cork July 10th (CA CR 1804, July 12th). Death yesterday morning in Grattan-street, Mr Francis Nott, Cabinet Maker (CMC 2nd January 1805). Notts last will and treatment read as follows: Nott, Francis, Ducan-street, City of Cork, Cabinet Maker. 23rd Sept 1807. Full 29th May 1809. My property of which I shall die possessed including my present holding in Duncan-street to be put up for sale by my exors. and after the demands of my children have been met the residue to be divided as to one third part of my wife Mary Nott and the two thirds to my children  in equal shares, Mr Milward to oversee the distribution  to my children by my former marriage and Mr Uppington to my present wife. Exors. Mr Henry Milward and Henry Uppington. Witnesses: Mary Purcell, widow, Jane Allen, spinster and Marsden Haddock, gent., all of the city of Cork (Registry of Deeds Dublin Abstract of Wills Vol III 1785-1832 (237).
NOTT OR KNOTT II, Francis, Cabinet Maker and Upholsterer, 27 Duncan-street, Cork 1810-1829 (in partnership with John Nott and Elias Nott 1825-1829).
NOTT OR KNOTT, James, Joiner, Dublin 1734-1761. Freeman of the City of Dublin as a Joiner by Service, Michaelmas 1734. Knott voted in the Poll for electing two members to represent The City of Dublin in April 1761; Dr Charles Lucas and Col Dunn (NLI Ms P349).
NOTT OR KNOTT, John, Cabinet Maker,  27 Duncan-street, Cork 1825-1829 (in partnership with Francis Nott II and Elias Nott 1825-1829). 57 Duncan-street 1837-1846.
NOTT OR KNOTT, Thomas, Cabinet Maker, 35 Nicholas-street, Cork 1855-1856. Mr. Nott, a Cabinet Maker, of Cork was the first person who invented the electric telegram- Cork reporter (BN-L,1857, 31st July).
NOTTS AND CO, Cabinet Makers and Upholsterers, Duncan-Street, Cork 1810-1823.
John Rogers

Offline kingjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Another newcomer to Irish family research - does Cork City have good resourc
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 April 09 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,
Francis Nott's grandfather was probably James Nott, Joiner would worked in Dublin from 1730-1761. I believe James Nott's father apprenticed his son to a good Dublin Cabinet Make/Joiner in the early 1720 (a seven to nine year apprentice followed). Dublin was the center of furniture trade in Ireland for all of the eighteen and nineteenth century re innovation. Sometime in the mid eighteenth century the Nott's moved back to Cork, maybe James Nott son? What we know for sure is that Francis Nott was running a Cabinet Making business in Cork in the early 1790s and he had three sons sons John, Francis II, and Elias (all I think by different mothers) and died in 1805.  Francis Will for 1807 tell us that the business was split four way between the three children and his wife Mary, who controlled the largest share. Mary and Francis (was born early 1780)  probably ran the business for the first few years under the name Nott and Co 1810-1823). It was only in the early to mid 1820's that Elias and Francis II joined the firm, at this juncture Cork entered a sever financial depression. This financial calamity lasted for a good part of the 1820's and into the early 1830s, because agricultural prices the mainstay of the Cork economy were very depressed.   The origins of this problem go back to the end of the Napoleonic War 1815-1816, because of the Cork economy over reliance of supplying the Royal Navy and Army.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 April 09 00:33 BST (UK) »
John,
Hadn't realised that you had initially posted on this thread before PM-ing me.  A tremendous amount of new material about the NOTT family, and many thanks for all your help...
keith

Offline McCulkey Coughlan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 06:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Keith
I'm coming to this conversation late but I hope it is nevertheless of some interest.

A discussion popped up recently on Twitter about John NOTT's Daguerreotype in Cork and, in particular, the possible location of the shot. I suspect that chat reveals little that you don't already know, but it may shade in more detail about the family, their business background etc. I'm passing on the link as, when Googling Mr Nott, your posts came up, and it seemed only right to return the compliment. See the replies to this tweet -
https://twitter.com/bigmonsterlove/status/1047993421909118977

The replies aren't a linear timeline but it's all there including a few pics and maps. To summarise...
- The street in the Daguerreotype appears to be Duncan Street.
- Sadly, it has since been almost entirely demolished - except possibly a tiny fragment, the low wall which is visible in Nott's picture.
- No-one seems to have established the street numbering yet, so I can't confirm that Nott's premises is in it. (And while, yes, the 27/57 is likely to be an error, I wouldn't rule out the various family members owning a few addresses on that street).
- The name of the street had been changed from Grattan Street to Duncan Street and was subsequently changed back again.

I'm delighted you have found such an interesting ancestor, and if you've put together more of his story I'd be very glad to read it. Please feel free to DM if you want my Twitter handle etc.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, McCulkey Coughlan, and welcome to Rootschat,
Thanks so much for putting that fascinating exchange about John Nott on Twitter my way.
I don't know whether you've managed to come across one or two other threads I started on here (again, awhile ago now) to try and discover more about this man.
His genes do not actually run through me or my immediate family, for it was his grandson John Fortune Nott who became my great-grandmother's first husband after she had given birth, illegitimately, to my maternal grandmother.
However, his story is quite remarkable, not least the fact that he and his wife set off to Australia in the 1850's - apparently there was a gold rush going on - leaving behind their two quite small sons who were at boarding school at Uppingham.  Never returned or were reunited with them, as far as I can ascertain.  Maybe he'd become bankrupt, but certainly a strange career move.  And I've been contacted by descendants of his other children in Australia.
Thanks again for colouring in more of his story for me,
Keith

Offline McCulkey Coughlan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 18:40 BST (UK) »
Ah - I did get the gist from your previous threads all right, but managed to overlook the direct descendant aspect. Apologies.

I hope you can pass that Twitter link to the descendants who have been in touch. I imagine they will enjoy the evidence of a strong possibility that it's his home/business they're looking at in his photo.

Finally, it only struck me late today that it may not be obvious I am using a nom de plume here. It's merely a play on the way "COUGHLAN" is usually pronounced in Cork (CAW-LIN) by referring to a  Spoonerism of actor Macaulay Culkin. I certainly didn't want to mislead anyone re names on a genealogy site!
If you, the Australian family, or anyone, wants to know my real ID, that is no problem via DM if/when I can access that facility.

Best regards til then.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 22:57 BST (UK) »
Right, McCulkey Coughlan,
Shall address you in this way one final time before I link up with you via PM (Personal Message) on this site. (Shades of T.S.Eliot and the names of some of his Practical Cats, perhaps). I presume DM infers Direct Message to you?
Will contact the Australian family descended from John Nott, as I'm sure they'll be very interested in all aspects of this.  Was a while ago since we were exchanging e-mails, though...
Regards, Keith