Author Topic: Selkirk Dissenters / the Associate Synod / Dr. George Lawson  (Read 26832 times)

Offline aricandec

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Selkirk Dissenters / the Associate Synod / Dr. George Lawson
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 16:21 BST (UK) »
Don't really think that family group were Dissenters as all their children were christened in the CoS church.  I think - as you suggest - that the registers were deficient OR just as possible, they were married OK but refused to pay to have their names entered.  That apparently was very common practice around that period as the church /govenrment were (once again) trying to raise money by taxing necessary items and their subjects were registering their displeasure by not paying up.  I may say, that I can't locate his mother's second marriage either to John Dunn between 1747 and 1750, but again the subsequent children all appear in the register!
Enid
Brown - Galashiels; Cochrane - Galashiels and Kelso; Haddon - Selkirk and Peebles; Goodfellow, Laing, Scott, White - Hawick; Saunders - Plymouth and London; Hingston, Lindon, Sedgwick - Devon; Cruickshank,  Scott - Moray; Bruce - Alford, Aberdeenshire; Murray - Edinburgh, Lasswade; Alexander - Falkirk and Northumberland; Snowdon - Rothbury and Co.Durham; Hall - Northumberland and Co.Durham; Cook - Co.Durham; Hobson and Falshaw - Leeds and North Yorkshire;

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 16:25 BST (UK) »
Don't really think that family group were Dissenters as all their children were christened in the CoS church.  I think - as you suggest - that the registers were deficient OR just as possible, they were married OK but refused to pay to have their names entered.  That apparently was very common practice around that period as the church /govenrment were (once again) trying to raise money by taxing necessary items and their subjects were registering their displeasure by not paying up.  I may say, that I can't locate his mother's second marriage either to John Dunn between 1747 and 1750, but again the subsequent children all appear in the register!
Enid

Enid

Have a search here on RC for one of the several threads dealing with the subject of irregular marriages.

ibi

Offline JennyMK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 March 15 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Justin

I am trying to get in contact with a childhood friend (from the Wedekind family), whom you have referenced in your Walker and Cross document. I have tried various social media sites to no avail.

I am aware that you are not able to give out personal details for any living people on RootsChat and this is also quite a long-shot but am wondering wether you do actually have any contact details for this family.

If you did - could you perhaps pass my details on to them ?

Thanks
Jenny

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 13 March 15 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

I sent you two private messages. The second one did not go through as your inbox is full apparently.

In that second message I said that Mike Wedekind (my late Dad's cousin) has a public family tree on ancestry. He logged in last month! If you have a subscription you can send him a message directly.

Take care, Justin

PS I'll still ask my mum about Val.

Offline JennyMK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 13 March 15 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Justin

Wow - it was so good to see your reply!   I was good friends with Jane at Junior school - they lived next door but one to us when they were in England. I visited Jane once as teenager after they returned to Calgary but lost touch after that. My brother was a friend of Scott's.

I am going to Banff on Holiday at Easter (flying to Calgary) which is why I thought of trying to look them up again now.

If you can get any contact details for Val that would be fantastic, I will also try Ancestry for Mike as you suggest. (nb. I have deleted the 1 message in my inbox which was using up all the space - so you should be able to message me again now.)

Thank-you!

Cheers
Jenny