Author Topic: SIT: Suggestion Box  (Read 60662 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
SIT: Suggestion Box
« on: Sunday 13 March 05 13:30 GMT (UK) »
The RootsChat Surname Interests Table SIT

The Surname Interests Table is now officially "open for business"

We are still testing some aspects, you may still see test messages appearing.

To access the SIT go to the bottom of any RootsChat page, there you will see

[Copyright] [Free RootsChat Webspace] [Your Surname Interests] [About Us]

Click there to log on !

This board is for your suggestions, on improving the Surname Interests Table (SIT).

As more and more RootsChatters enter their names, it will become more important to find good ways of sorting, searching and extracting information.

If you have any suggestions, read through these threads, to see if it has already been suggested, and then add to the discussion.

Not everything discussed here will be implemented, but any sensible, useful ideas have a good chance of being incorporated "by popular demand" into the SIT.
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: SIT: Suggestion Box
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 March 05 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Great Bob - worked a treat - no problems.

One thing - do you leave the page by closing down - no "Finished Entering" button ??

You've let yourself in for something here - I can see!!  ;D ;D

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 March 05 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Bob,
The database stores upper & lower case variants of names in different locations, but when performing a search any combination of case will produce the same result...

ie searching for Smith, SMITH, or even sMiTh will return all combinations of the surname.

I've gotten into the habit of always putting ancestral surnames in CAPITALS - seems like I am in the minority in this trial database  :-[

Could you modify the database to convert all surnames to the same format, and thus merging all combinations of the same name ?

Handy hint #1:
If you want to see ALL names in the database, possibly the quickest way is to search for each vowel ( A E I O U ) and perhaps the letter Y, one at a time.

1. Select (*) SHOW all entered surnames
2. type one vowel into the surname box
3. Select (*) within word
4. Click on [Submit]
Repeat for each other vowel ( and  Y )

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 March 05 20:52 GMT (UK) »
If I select show all my surnames - when the result screen comes up - is there any way it could also show what other members have recorded the same surname in those results?
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 March 05 08:22 GMT (UK) »
State of Play:
13.03.2005 - 13:38 (CET) the Surname Interest Table (SIT) was declared open
14.03.2005 - 09:10 (CET) 18:00   46 RootsChatters with 376  Surname interests in the table !

and the score is:
                                 Smith   3 : 4   Jones
                                 Evans  3 : 3   James

Jonathan,
there may not be a big launch, I think it's here to stay already.  Might as well start getting your names in now !

Pam,
Delete function is planned, but only when we transfer to RootsChat.com
Auto select: Add ???  Not sure, I am trying to work out something along the lines of "stay at last-selected" which would probably be more useful.   ADDED: Done !

Keith,
just leave the page, there is no "formal " 'Goodbye, I'm off !'

SS from The Rhondda,
.... convert all surnames to the same format .... I'm working on some possibilities here.    ADDED: Done !

I like your tip for outputting.  Maybe others could add their ideas /wishes for outputs.

NigelG,
If I select show all my surnames - when the result screen comes up - is there any way it could also show what other members have recorded the same surname in those results?  Sounds good, I'll have a think about how ...

To all of you,
Thank you very much for the feedback, and your kind words. Makes me glad I did it.

Keep the suggestions coming !

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline jerper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 March 05 10:48 GMT (UK) »
 :-\
HiYa
ok i've entered my interest but where do you look for the whole list of interests?sorry for being a bit slow in this field. I think it's a great idea keep it up
 Regards John P.
John Pearl researching Pearl,Jackson.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 March 05 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

a new facility: 

SHOW all with my Surname Interests

Click on this and "Submit".  You will then get a table of your surname interests, that also includes any other RootsChatters searching for these names !

Many thanks to NigelG for this suggestion !

Enjoy !
Bob

http://www.rootschat.com/surname/

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 March 05 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Bob

My thanks to both you and Nigel for this one!

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 March 05 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob

Just tried entering a name because I have found them in a different area.  I get a message "already in the database", which is true.  What happens if I discover that my family have changed areas?  Will I eventually be able to amend the entry or add to the record?

Obviously not a priority, but I thought I would bring it up for discussion  ;)

Arranroots
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)