Author Topic: Lindsay in Dundee..Confused?  (Read 3863 times)

Offline AH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Lindsay in Dundee..Confused?
« on: Monday 06 December 04 20:53 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can offer me any advice/guidance. I have been looking for the parents of Thomas Lindsay b 1832 and using the Scotland gov site have found his parents were Thomas Lindsay and Jean Edwards. I then went to the IGI site and found Thomas Lindsay m Jean Edwards on that site. It gave a birth for Thomas as 1802 and a death at 1859 and likewise for Jean b 1804 d 1859. Problem is when I went on the Scotland site I couldn't find them or their marriage.....so who do i believe or is it just that there are special tricks to searching the scotlandspeople.gov site.
Any tips or suggestions where else to try would be gratefully received.
Cheetham in Eccles, Lancashire. Roxburgh in Galston, Ayrshire. Lindsay in GlenIsla, Dundee and Newcastle

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Lindsay in Dundee..Confused?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 December 04 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Neither/Both?

On the IGI if I put in Jean Edwards and Thomas Lyndsay as spouse I get 8 hits.

Of the 8 hits only one of them is an index from a parish record, the first one.  The one listed as a marriage APR 1827 Glenisla, Angus, Scotland with the batch number M112904.

The other 7 entries are submitted by a member of the church, i.e. it is somebody elses research.

The positives are that there is a distant cousin researching the same family you could try to track them down through the church or through googling around to see if they appear on a Rootsweb archive or on Ancestry.

The negative is that you have no idea what they have based there information about Thomas's birth on.  It may be guess work or it could be very good research - we just don't know.

With Scotlandspeople you are seeing the indexing of the original registers.  There are loads of ways this can be mucked up to hinder your research.  Bad transcription for the indexing or typos or just missed out?

When all your avenues are closed I'd use member submissions onto IGI as a guide to help you find the next record but do not use it as fact.

Your next step is to view the Glenisla marriage - it may give more information (or it may not).

Do you have census information for this couple?  Track down every census - you may get lucky with other members of the family living with them, aunts, uncles, grandparents etc this can help you go back in time. 

Do you think they lived after 1855 - if you do then find there deaths.  If they died in Scotland then you will get their parents names, given that the person registering their death knew them.

Best of luck,
Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Linton

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lindsay in Dundee..Confused?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Re: confused.

I think that you will find that the Scotland's People site is accurate. The images on this site are taken from the actual records. The information on the IGI site on the other hand are taken from transcripts when typo errors can be made.

Linda

Gordon, Spence, Reaper, Mavor, Guthrie, Small, Nicoll, Lyell, Hepburn, Adamson, Stewart, Colquhoun, Allan, Edward, Thomson, Ogilvie, Taylor