Author Topic: Kerr family ,Newbridge Terregles  (Read 22526 times)

Offline S C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kerr family ,Newbridge Terregles
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 03 July 10 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Brenda,
Don't know if you were still coming to Scotland or you have been already but I live in Troon(just by Ayr),and would be happy to see you.
Steve.

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 03 July 10 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve , Brian Bell was my very first contact, thanks to him I got started. One of my Kerrs married into Joseph Kerrs family , mine farmed at Terregles , Josephs were the blacksmiths at Terregles. I have been researching for over three years now and have accumulated lots of information about our Kerrs and families we have married into. I must say I have been given help by many generous people. Regards stoop.

Offline MAINEYUSA

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 July 10 17:31 BST (UK) »
I am still planning a trip to Scotland, but it won't be this year.  I actually have several Kerr's that married into my lines.

The first is Margaret Kerr who married James Hunter.  The only information I have on them is they had a daughter, Agnes Hunter b. abt. 1818 and d. 1904 Majoribanks, Lochmaben.  She married John Green b. 1825 d. 1889 Queen St., Lochmaben.  Agnes and John had a son, James Green b. abt 1846 and d. 16 Oct 1915, Lochmaben.  James married Elizabeth Tweedie b. abt 1843 Lochmaben, daughter of John Gibson Tweedie and Phillis Steele.

The second is Agnes Kerr, dau of George and Margaret (Irving) Kerr b. abt 1854 Scotland and d. 1885 Illinois, USA.  She married Thomas Charles Tweedie, son of Thomas Tweedie and Agnes McGowan, b. 9 Ded 1854 Dalton Parish and d. Abt 1918, Boston Massachusetts.  I have a beautiful 8X10 photo of Agnes and Thomas on their wedding day.

Now, the above mentioned Agnes McGowan's mother was Jane/Janet Kerr, daughter of James Kerr and Janet Neilson.  Jane Kerr was b. 1807 Dalton and d. 11 Nov 1881 at Whitecroft Farm, Dalton.  She married William McGowan b. 1790 Kelton, Kirks.  He was the son of William McGowan and Mary Hannah.  Jane's father, James Kerr was b. abt 1781.

So here are a few of the Kerr's I have.  I have the families children also and will post them next.

Brenda
HENSLEY, Hemsley, Norfolk, England>USA>VA, NC, TN, KY, ME

NICKERSON, St Peters Permontergate, Norwich, Norfolk, England>USA>MA>NH>ME

TWEEDIE, Dalton Par., Scotland, County Of Dumfries>USA>MA>ME

SAWYER, Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England>USA>MA>NH

JENKINS, Cornwall PEI Canada>USA>MA

TOURTILLOTTE, La Rochelle, Poitou Provence, France>USA>RI>MA>ME

COLLINS, ST. ANTHONE, SALTASH, CORNWALL, ENGLAND>USA>MD>VA>NC

PRATT, Aston, Clinton, Buckinghamshire, England> USA>MA>ME

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 July 10 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve, stoop calling regarding William ,brother of Joseph, firstly are you writing about J oseph born 1799 and married to Isabella Johnstone. If so I do not have any knowledge of him. Regards stoop.

Offline MAINEYUSA

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 July 10 21:33 BST (UK) »
I found another,,,lol.  Isabella Kerr (dau of  John Kerr and Margaret Esbie) b. abt 1782 Pleacairne, Dalton, chr. 17 Jul 1782 Mouswald, Dumfries, d. 10 Dec 1840 Pleacairne, Dalton.  Isabella married James Tweedie b. abt 1795 Lochmaben.  James d. 1 Dec 1876 Mouswald.  Both are buried at the Dalton Cemetery, Dalton.  I am related to most if not all the Tweedies buried there.

Brenda

Offline KerrUSA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rev. John Kerr (great-grandfather)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 08 July 10 03:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Brenda,
My William was born 1834 in Dalton.His father was James Kerr born 1794 in Mouswald.William's grandfather was John Ker,christened 1764 in Dalton.John was married to Jean Tweedie who was from Banks,Mouswald.Maybe we tie in somewhere?
Bye,Stephen

Hi, Cousin!  I am descended from John Kerr (1756-1843) and Jean Tweedie (1768-1841) myself, through their firstborn son, John (1786-1843) and his wife Agnes(s) Johnston(e) (1803-1869).  The wonderful people on RootsChat have been exceptionally helpful in tracking down my Kerr ancestry in Dumfriesshire.

~Len
Scotland:  Kerr, Bell, Tweedie, Johnstone, Carruthers, Moffat, Jardine
England:  Willis, Outhwaite, Groves, Masters, Kentish, Jenner
Germany:  Pellman (Pöhlman), Schimmel, Meier (Meyer)
BeNeLux:  Trum, Kurt, Hamburg

Offline MAINEYUSA

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 July 10 14:37 BST (UK) »
WOW,,,,another cousin!!!  This is so exciting.  My Kerrs all married into the Tweedie line.  I have an extensive Tweedie genealogy, in part I did the research, and I also inherited my aunt's genealogy when she became unable to continue it herself.  I noticed the name BELL mentioned in an earlier post.  I also have Bell from the same area.  Guess I wondered which line to work on next,,,,think I know now which one,,,lol.

Offline KerrUSA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rev. John Kerr (great-grandfather)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 08 July 10 15:26 BST (UK) »
WOW,,,,another cousin!!!  This is so exciting.  My Kerrs all married into the Tweedie line.  I have an extensive Tweedie genealogy, in part I did the research, and I also inherited my aunt's genealogy when she became unable to continue it herself.  I noticed the name BELL mentioned in an earlier post.  I also have Bell from the same area.  Guess I wondered which line to work on next,,,,think I know now which one,,,lol.

I have traced my Tweedies back to the Barons Drumelzier, but do not have strong source documentation for a couple of connections after the Tweedies forfeited their barony to the Hays of Yester, so I would be very interested in comparing notes with you.

I also have a Bell line that I've made little progress with.  My great-great-grandfather, David Kerr (1828-1890) was married to Mary Bell, born 29 March 1826 in Branetrig.  She was the daughter of James Bell (1787-1875) and Helen Neilson  (b. 1796).  James Bell's father appears to have been another James Bell, born c. 1760, but that's as far as I've gotten.    Also, my James Tweedie (1727-1800) was married to a Janet Bell (1742-1808), but I've been unable to determine her parents.

If you're amind to research either of those lines further, perhaps we could work together and share some of the time and costs of perusing the ScotlandsPeople database -- after exhausting what might already be posted here on RootsChat, of course!
Scotland:  Kerr, Bell, Tweedie, Johnstone, Carruthers, Moffat, Jardine
England:  Willis, Outhwaite, Groves, Masters, Kentish, Jenner
Germany:  Pellman (Pöhlman), Schimmel, Meier (Meyer)
BeNeLux:  Trum, Kurt, Hamburg

Offline MAINEYUSA

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 09 July 10 12:45 BST (UK) »
Now, there ya go!  James Tweedie and Jannet Bell were my 5th great grandparents.  From them, my descent is:

James and Jannet (Bell) Tweedie
John and Susanna (Richardson) Tweedie
James and Isabella (Kerr) Tweedie
Thomas and Agnes (McGowan) Tweedie
John and Jane (Jenkins) Tweedie
John and Helen (Sawyer) Tweedie  my grandparents

Brenda