Author Topic: Of this Parish - How Long ??  (Read 3391 times)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Of this Parish - How Long ??
« on: Monday 06 December 04 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I am sure this has been answered somewhere before - but humour me please!! ;) ;)

I have a copy of the Great Amwell Parish record for William Bateman marrying Ann Lambert on Dec 12th 1795 both being "of this parish"

When I try to find the birth of William the only one I can find is at Barkway, 30 miles away in 1760 - which is a long way for my family!!

I presume they only have to be "in this parish" for the Banns to be read - so it could be the right one. The record states married in this Church by Banns.

Anyone any ideas how I can prove he is the correct one or otherwise?

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Of this Parish - How Long ??
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 December 04 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Keith

Being "of the parish" doesn't necessarily mean you were born there.  You could acquire parish rights by living or working within a parish for a period of time - a year if memory serves me, though I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong about this.

As to how you can prove that the Barkway William is the correct one - that really is a difficult one.  Research pre-1837 can be tough, and sometimes you cannot definitely corroborate facts. In this case, because you can only find a William baptised in Barkway, it doesn't mean that there isn't another or many others baptised elsewhere, and if you don't have other proof, such a will for example, then you cannot really ever prove that he is the right one.

Ultimately, it must come down to common sense and the balance of probabilities, and what you are happy to accept as proof.

Just my spin!

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Keith

To try to establish if Barkway William is your man, it might be worth checking HALS for a settlement certiicate.

http://www.hertsdirect.org/libsleisure/heritage1/HALS/

Rick
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rick

Thanks for those comments.

Hadn't thought about settlement certificates - read about them but never used them.

Will try Hals for one - usually quite helpful.

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails