Author Topic: Trying to obtain info on my Great-grandfathers  (Read 1857 times)

Offline PabloC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to obtain info on my Great-grandfathers
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 22:40 BST (UK) »
Evening,

Just found out a little more! My great aunt called saying she'd found a photo/postcard with her father and two other soldiers on it addressed to a friend in Swansea, which had the following written on it:

'3rd SW Borderers'

On the strength of this I ordered the MIC I thought might be his, which contains the following:

Name: Bennett, Joseph
Corps: South Wales Borderers   Rank: Private Regtl No. 11053
Corps: South Wales Borderers   Rank: *a/WO.Cl 2 Regtl No. 11053
Victory Roll *g/1/101 B3 Page 297
British  Roll   - do -          - do -
14 Star Roll g/1/6 Page 15
Theatre
Date of Entry 01-10-14

Am I right in thinking that the 'B3' within the roll section relates to a battalion or brigade, and from this I can find out where they were posted via regimental history sites etc? What could the asterisk mean?

Also, I'm told that for whatever reason, he never received a pension after the War, even though he suffered from gas poisoning and it's continued effects. From this, I presume there will be discharge papers????

Sorry for all the questions, just new to this and really keen to find out as much as I can!!

Paul

Arnold - Liverpool
Bennett-Co. Down, Ireland
Clisham-Liverpool/Ireland
Cox - Shropshire/Flintshire
Cuddy - Liverpool/Ireland
Dunne - Co. Laois, Ireland
Glue -Sussex
Guest - Staffordshire
Hughes - Co.Laios, Ireland
Jordan - Co.Down, Ireland
Lancaster - Cumberland
Manion - Liverpool/Galway, Ireland
Pearson - Cumberland
Vallely - Co.Louth, Ireland

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 June 07 12:50 BST (UK) »
B3 is a reference to the medal rolls - at Kew you use this to translate which roll your man appears on.

The Battalion is the 3rd Battalion of the South Wales Borderers - I'm saying 3rd as that is what is on the postcard (3rd SWB) - I think it unlikely that the man who wrote the card got that wrong.

Pension records for the letter B are now on Ancestry web site - there might be a free offer for a limited period or maybe someone with access can look it up for you (your local library might have it). I don't think all records survived.

For a glimpse of what MIGHT be found see the front page of my site and look at the options Butler and Billington - 2 good records sets for men who never even got overseas!

Not a medal expert but 'date of entry' is the date he went abroad - October 1914 so I think he was a regular; or a territorial soldier who was called up - brand new volunters took longer than 2 months to train.

I'm not sure of which brigade but goto:

1914-1918.net (not sure if this will work but if you google it it should pop up).

and you can look it up - follow the British Army and then infantry etc. links. Fairly easy.

Bernard

http://swanseabattalion.net/
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline PabloC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 June 07 16:10 BST (UK) »
Cheers for the help Bernard.

I'm actually subscribed up to Ancestry, but have, so far been unable to find a likely pension/discharge record.

Nevermind, I'll keep looking!! My great-aunt seems to think that my uncle actually has his medals, so that might help me out lots,

Regards

Paul

Arnold - Liverpool
Bennett-Co. Down, Ireland
Clisham-Liverpool/Ireland
Cox - Shropshire/Flintshire
Cuddy - Liverpool/Ireland
Dunne - Co. Laois, Ireland
Glue -Sussex
Guest - Staffordshire
Hughes - Co.Laios, Ireland
Jordan - Co.Down, Ireland