Author Topic: Rochdale Cemetery Look ups  (Read 8348 times)

Offline tony h

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Dad
    • View Profile
Rochdale Cemetery Look ups
« on: Wednesday 06 June 07 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Had so much fun, last few days, i'm happy to do look up of graves if people have burial number, square, plot etc

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,236643.0.html
happy hunting
Tony
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tony h    1953 - 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gorton Monastery Manchester

Offline TanyaE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rochdale Cemetery Look ups
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 June 07 16:42 BST (UK) »
  ;D Hi Tony

I have just started researching my family tree. I have found out quite a bit in the week that I've been doing this. I have come across a grave number on papers - Grave number 36975. It has no headstone and is in Rochdale Cemetary, do you have any idea how I find out who is burried here.

If you can help it would be great
Tanya

Offline tony h

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 June 07 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanya
Welcome to RootsChat :) i hope you find it as informative and fun as i do. I am nowhere near knowledgeable about cemeteries and grave numbers but i'm sure somebody will jump in and help us out. With the grave numbers Gill gave me i simply went to the cemetery office with the numbers and the plot and they identified the plot with a name attached to it which i found out wasn't necessarily the name of the person i was looking for. Can you give me some informa
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tony h    1953 - 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline tony h

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 June 07 16:55 BST (UK) »
hit the wrong button  ;D
As i was saying anymore info at all would be a great help names dates etc. would you like me to go to the cemetery?

Tony
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tony h    1953 - 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline TanyaE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 June 07 17:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tony

I am having so much fun researching my tree, no skeletons yet - lol.

That would be a massive help. All the info that I have that may be related to it is that my great-great grandad was Patrick Sexton who was born in Carrick-on-Suir, Tipperary in Ireland c1851. At the age of 14 he ran away to join the army (1865). His family were bakers and he was probably bored, he served in the British Army for 25 years (1890). However I have been told he fought in the Boer War 1899-1902. If this is so then the info doesnt tally. I have found that he died in 1930 in Rochdale, he did have a son Patrick and Thomas both died in the first world war.
I dont know if this is a family grave or if he is burried there himself.
All help would be appreciated.

Tanya
 8)

Offline tony h

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 June 07 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanya,
There were a number of wars in South Africa. 1877-79 Anglo Zulu war, 1880-81 First Boer War and the more famous Second Boer War 1899-02. so Patrick snr could have been in those earlier ones and its been misinterpreted in family folklore ever since.

I'll check with a  fellow rootschatter who has used Rochdale Local Studies on the best course of action on grave.

I don't know how much you know about Patrick & Thomas but if they died in action in the first world war you may find them at www.cwgc.org i've had a quick look and
there are 4 P's and 7 T's. However the site was being maddeningly slow tonight so couldn't get to their details.

Do you have whereabouts of this family in 1901 census, it might just help at some point.

Happy hunting

Tony
 :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tony h    1953 - 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline TanyaE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 June 07 11:32 BST (UK) »
 ;D Morning Tony  ;D

They lived at 8 Sutcliffes Yard Rochdale in the 1901 census.
Tanya

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony and Tanya

I've replied to Tony on my own query (the one he referred you to, Tanya), but looking at the information you have, I would go for the Local Studies route.  If you give them Patrick's name and dates, they should be able to find the record for you, and this will also show if any other family members are buried there.  If they can't find it, they won't charge you. You can email them on localstudies@link4life.org

It's possible that the sons killed in WW1 are also mentioned on the headstone.  There is also a War Memorial in Rochdale Cemetery (the one on the Esplanade doesn't have any names on it and is just dedicated to all the fallen in both wars) and there are various other district ones.
http://www.rochdale.gov.uk/leisure_and_culture/local_history_and_heritage/memorial_-_maintenance.aspx

The only Sexton on the Interment.net list is
Sexton, Elizabeth, b. 1929, d. 2001
but I know from my own experience that the list is not complete.

You could, of course, email the cemetery at bereavement.services@rochdale.gov.uk just to enquire if it's possible to find the contents of the grave just from its number, and whether there would be any charges.  As both Tony and I know, they are very helpful. 

Good luck with your search.

Regards,
Gill  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline tony h

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 June 07 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanya,
Only way to have got to Local studies last night would have been to ditch the car and swim the rest of the way :) What a downpour :o Worked late tonite so earliest now will be Sat, but has Gill has said on her topic 'they are not going anywhere'  :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tony h    1953 - 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~