Author Topic: callcotts of malpas  (Read 2943 times)

Offline michael callcott

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
callcotts of malpas
« on: Wednesday 06 June 07 22:50 BST (UK) »
hi everyone
my ancestor thomas callcott.came from malpas in cheshire.to staffordshire.his father thomas callcott ran a clock shop in the high street.the last callcott to run this clock shop was arthur drummond callcott. after arthur drummond callcott.someone by the name of dutton.took over the clock shop.can anyone enlighten me who the duttons were.and were they connected to the callcott family.
regards
mick callcott

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: callcotts of malpas
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 June 07 03:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Mick

On the 1881, 1891 and 1901, Arthur D CALLCOTT was living with some of his DUTTON relatives, Clara Emily and John Frederick, his nephew and niece, and John Frederick's son Arthur.  He also had his mother Sarah BROWN and her husband William BROWN with him on two census.  John Frederick DUTTON was a Clock and Watch Maker.  Maybe he took over the shop.  It does not look like Arthur D CALLCOTT ever married.

This makes it likely that a sister of Arthur D CALLCOTT married a DUTTON.

I will be happy to send the Census details to you if you would like them.

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 June 07 10:35 BST (UK) »
Following up the family Karenlee found gives the DUTTON link:

Arthur Drummond CALLCOTT was born c1837 in Liverpool, probably just before the start of civil registration.

His mother, Sarah CALLCOTT, married John WIGNALL in Liverpool on 2 Feb 1841, and had 2 daughters: Ann (1841) and Sarah 1846).  John apparently died, as the 1851 census shows Sarah and the 3 children living with her father Thomas CALLCOTT, and her brothers Arthur, Robert and Samuel in Malpas.  (Arthur D is listed with surname WIGNALL on this census.)

In 1858, Sarah married William BROWN.

Ann WIGNALL (b. 1841) married William DUTTON at St Oswald, Malpas in 1862 - they are presumably the parents of Clara Emily and John Frederick. 

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 June 07 10:39 BST (UK) »
There were WIGNALL family on some entries with the CALLCOTTS.  Samuel CALLCOTT also lives with Sarah and William BROWN for a while. 

Makes sense to me.

Great work Rambler.

Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline michael callcott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 June 07 17:16 BST (UK) »
hi karenlee and rambler.
thanks for that info i much apreciate it.i did know a d callcott never got married.i also knew he was born a wignal. he changed his name to callcott.when he took over the clock shop in malpas. the other info i did not know.thank you both for enlightening me.and taking the time to do so.
regards
mick c

Offline michael callcott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 June 07 22:33 BST (UK) »
hi karenlee
i would love to have those census details.regarding the callcotts and duttons.thank you very much.
mick c

Offline CanAus

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Just joined this site and 14 years after the fact I am very interested in the Callcott posts. Is it just me, or is it not curious that in the 1881 Census , Albert Drummond Callcott plus Sarah Brown and Duttons are listed at 75 Windmill St but at the top of that page we find at 73 Windmill St the names of Martha Callcott and her granddaughters Martha and Helen, who were also born in Liverpool? Any connection that I am not aware?