Author Topic: Reuben Benjamin watchmaker 1810-?  (Read 791 times)

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
Reuben Benjamin watchmaker 1810-?
« on: Thursday 07 June 07 06:16 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if some one could locate a death for Reuben Benjamin between 1851 and 1861.

He can be found wiwth his wife Harriet on the 1841 census + children. In 1851 Harriet + children is by herself but listed as married. In 1861 She + 1 child is listed as widowed. (Children born 1836 Quebec Canada, 1844 & 1849 Hackney UK)

There is a death in 1856 in NSW of a Reuben Benjamin aged 40  est dob 1816. ( convicted at the OldBailey 1833 aged 22, (est dob 1811) transported as a convict 1834 certificate of freedom 1840) 

If this age at death is correct, this would be too young for the Reuben I am trying to find, who if his age in 1841 of 30, is correct would have been born c 1810

It is remotely possible that this is the same man  but I would be certain if I could find a death in the UK. The death in 1856 fits the time span, the children born after 1840, but where does the Canadian visit fit in?

Reuben and Harriet lived in St Leonards in 1841 and continued to reside in the same area Reuben was born in the same counry and Harriet in South Hampton.

Any help would be welcomed

Robyn in Australia
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reuben Benjamin watchmaker 1810-?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 June 07 09:12 BST (UK) »
The full index of death registrations can be searched for free on
http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx

Choose the complete version, and then go through year by year for the years you want to look at, and quarter by quarter within each year.
Occasionally it will tell yuo there is no page for a particular quarter, do not believe it! It will just be a blip in the indexing system. Tyr a name near the one you want in the alphabet, until you bring up a page, and then scroll to the correct page by using the green arrows at the top. It is simlpy an alphabetical list within each quarter, so if you keep that in mind you will not go wrong.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk