Author Topic: TOOTELL Family Wrexham 1861  (Read 3010 times)

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
TOOTELL Family Wrexham 1861
« on: Thursday 07 June 07 20:39 BST (UK) »
Can someone look at the following Census transcript and tell me what the places of birth and the occupations are of William Tootell and his family? I think William was born in Nottinghamshire, but I'm not sure.

RG09/4288
Folio 12
Page 38

Stephen :)
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Tootell Family Wrexham 1861
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 June 07 20:49 BST (UK) »
They are in the Military Depot, Regent Street, Wrexham Regis, Wrexham, Denbighshire
William Tootell Head M 30 Sergeant Royal Denbigh Militia Nottingham Notts
Elizabeth Wife M 30 Wales Denbighshire Wrexham
William Son 6 Scholar             " "
June daur 3 " " "
Hannah 6/12           " "
Elizabeth Roberts Mother in Law Widow 64 Kent Dover
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 June 07 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Stephen,
Don't know if you have this
Wrexham marriage. July 25 1851.
William Tootell. Minor. Bachelor.Occ.(looks like) Cork Cutter. Abode, Wrexham Regis. Father, John. Cork Cutter.
Elizabeth Roberts. Minor. Spinster. Abode. Wrexham Regis. Father, John. (couldn't make out his Occupation).
Witnesses. Samuel Davies & Margaret Tootell(X).
(x)=Did not sign made mark.
I think in those days Minor is under 21.

I Couldn't see any of their children's baptisms.

Could this be Elizabeth's baptism?
Wrexham. Sep 9 1831. Elizabeth D/O John & Elizabeth Roberts. Abode, Beast Market. Fathers Occ Tinplate Worker.

Paul.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 June 07 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

The North Wales BMD have the following birth registrations:

William Tootell, 1855, Wrexham, Ref WM/05/20

Hannah Tootell, 1859, Wrexham, Reg WM/020/69

This Hannah looks a bit too old for the 6 month one in the census but there are no others between 1859 and 1861  :-\

The references are the local ones and certificates can be obtained from the Wrexham office. Details here:

http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/

Regards

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 June 07 17:15 BST (UK) »
The GRO Refs, that can be ordered online are:

William Tootell,  Mar Q, 1855, Wrexham, Vol 11b,  Page 332

Hannah Tootell,  Sept Q, 1859, Wrexham,  Vol 11b, Page 338

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline wxmafc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TOOTELL Family Wrexham 1861
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 December 16 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Sergeant William Tootell was born the son of a cork cutter- John Tootell in 1831. He followed in his fathers footsteps and worked as a cork cutter but later became a Musketeer instructor in the Royal Denbigh Rifle Militia, in which he was promoted to sergeant.  He was also a drill instructor in the 5th Denbighshire (Gwersylt) rifle volunteers. He had been a student of The Musketry School in Hythe, Kent.
He was married to Elizabeth Roberts at St Giles Church on 15 September 1855 and they had 4 children
Sergeant Tootell played Cricket for the Denbighshire County Cricket Club and he attended an after-dinner event, after he had played in the last cricket match of the season on 08th October 1864.
During this event, the chairman of the cricket club- Edward Manners, announced that after a consultation with the Mayor, he was going to purchase a football in the course of the week, with the intention of starting a new Athletic Club in Wrexham and stated that he expected a good many down on the field next Saturday.
Sergeant William Tootell was 1 of the 10 founding players of Wrexham Football Club (the third oldest professional football club in the World) who would play in their first ever match on 22nd October 1864, at The Racecourse Ground (the oldest international football stadium in the World) against the 10 men of The Prince of Wales Fire Brigade; a game in which they lost 2-1.

William Tootell died aged 35, at the military baracks in Wrexham where he he lived with his family, after a fortnights illness on 30/09/1866 and was buried with full Military honours at Ruthin Road Cemetery on 03/10/1866; less than 2 years after he played in the clubs first ever game. I have added  an article about this on WST, Wrexham Supporters Trust website under the heading 'the early years' along with the information relating to the other founding members and the early history of the football club. http://wst.org.uk/www3/index.php/wrexham-afc/early-years
Also posted on Redpassion- Wrexham Fans forum, under the heading of ' the sad case of a founding member of Wrexham Football Club'.
In time, my intention is to have a plaque installed on The Racecourse Stadium, Wrexham. dedicated to the memory of William Tootell and the other founding players and members of the club.