Author Topic: Alexander Frater  (Read 7726 times)

Offline DonnieMac

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Blood is Strong
    • View Profile
Alexander Frater
« on: Thursday 07 June 07 22:20 BST (UK) »
Looking for the marriage of Alexander Frater and Penelope Hay, it would of been before June 1851 as they arrived in Sydney, Australia on 5 June 1851 on the " Emperor ", ages at the time of arrival where Penelope 17 and Alexander 22.
Penelope was born in Kirkcudbright on 10 Feb 1834 ( Parents: Peter Hay and Mary Isabella Mitchell )Peter is buried in the Kirkcudbright cemetery with a Frater headstone right next door to him.
On the IGI lit lists Alexander born in 1828 ( Parents: John Frater and Mary Glover ) a couple of times in Kirknewton, Northumberland then also a couple of times in Kirkalloway, Scotland, none of what I have found on the IGI has a point of reference. Hoping someone can help. Thanks.
McEachern/McKechnie and variants - Isle of Mull McKinnon - Isle of Mull, MacPherson, MacDonald, MacPhee, MacMillan, MacAulay and Wilson all Benbecula. MacPherson, MacPhee and Campbell-South Uist. McKillop-Oban, McArthur- Island of Luing.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Frater
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 June 07 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Donnie

There are no  records of birth or marriage of Alexander Frater except for the patron submission ones on the IGI which I think are the ones that you have seen.

There is a record for Penelope Hay on the Scotlands People website - information as you state.

I then searched the 1841 census for  him:

The nearest that I can find  in Scotland is in Kirk Yetholm, Roxburghshire:

Parish 811 ED 3

Isabella Frater, 50, Householder, b. Roxburghshire
John Frater, 25, Ag Lab, b. England
Alexander Frater, 10, b. England

By 1851, John and Alexander appear to have moved on and Isabella is now 63. A son James, aged 24, is living with her. He was born Newton, Northumberland. Ref - Parish 811 ED 3 Page 8

On the English 1841 Census, there is a possible family:

North Road?, Newton, Bamburgh, Northumberland HO107 Piece 819 Book 5 Page 10.

John Frater, 35-39, Mason
Mary, 30-34
John, 7
Walter, 6
Margaret, 4
George, 8 months

All born Northumberland

There does seem to be some link between the two households - James on the 1851 b. Newton

I think a search for John might be of use - James was a Farm Servant in Swinhoe, Northumberland on the 1841  :(

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 June 07 18:41 BST (UK) »
The IGI Batch P000931 has the baptism of a John Frater , 10 January 1806, Kirknewton, Northumberland. Parents Thomas Frater and Isabella Weddle. This ties in Isbella with the age of the John and Mary in the 1841, Newton.

So far, the only plausible Mary Glover that I've found was bpt. 20 May 1807, Dumfires. Father - Robert Glover. Batch C195241.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 June 07 18:51 BST (UK) »
The Kirknewton IGI Batch has the following children born to Thomas and Isabella:

22 Dec 1798 George
8 Sept 1797 Thomas
23 June 1800 Mary
23 April 1802 Jane
24 March 1804 James
10 Jan 1806 John
12 Sept 1807 David
11 May 1809 Isabella
2 July 1811 Patrick Alison
19 August 1813 Matthew
11 Feb 1816 Robert Allen

Gadget
PS I seem to remember an Alison Frater on the 1841 or 1851 in Roxburghshire - I'll check up on this later

Offline Chris Frater

• RootsChat Senior
  • Alexander Frater & Penelope Hay
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 06:03 BST (UK) »
I believe that John born in 1806 would of been too young, in the 1841 census Isabella is 50... On her death 26 March 1856 its stated that she was 67 year old, this would of made her born about 1789.

In the 1841/1851 Census says that she was born Roxburgh, I think her father was Thomas Harvey, on the SP register of Isabella death it has her mothers name as being Isabella Hervey and  does not list a fathers name at all.

Would anyone have a birth record for Isaballa? Maybe John died before the 1841 census? No idea where...

Donnie thank you for posting the original message for me, I found my password again now to get back in here....

Thank you all
Christine
UK, Scotland and Australia: <br />Surnames: Card : Frater : McKillop-Davies : Gurr : Williams : Russell : Davies : Pitt/Pitts : Sutton: McKillop: Pickering: Limburner: Jackson: Brown: Glover: Wright: Rapley

Offline momentary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 November 07 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Alexander FRATER [Parents] was born 1 in 1827 in Kirknewton, Northumberland. He died 2 on 24 Mar 1911 in Narrabri, NSW, Australia. He was buried 3 on 25 Mar 1911 in Deep Creek, Narrabri, NSW, Australia.
 He married 4 Penelope HAY in 1850 in Scotland.

Offline momentary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 November 07 12:59 GMT (UK) »
BTW, I have John Frater listed as being born in 1800..not 1806?

Offline Chris Frater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 November 07 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Momentary,

Can you tell me any more abt your John Frater? I still have a feeling that the John I am looking for should of been born in the 1780's. as his first child/ or the first that I have found yet was born in 1812.

Chris
UK, Scotland and Australia: <br />Surnames: Card : Frater : McKillop-Davies : Gurr : Williams : Russell : Davies : Pitt/Pitts : Sutton: McKillop: Pickering: Limburner: Jackson: Brown: Glover: Wright: Rapley

Offline Chris Frater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 April 18 02:06 BST (UK) »
11 years later still no further  ??? ??? He will appear one day I am sure....

(I have a feeling that John Frater will end up being a brother to Thomas Frater 1769-1839  Andrew Frater 1775-1845 and David Frater 1762 Parents being David Frater and Dorothy Allison that married in 1756 Ilderton, Northumberland, England.) Not  that feelings are any good for adding to family history. (Only been able to find 3 children for David and Dorothy I am sure there will be more)