Author Topic: Great House, Knighton  (Read 15318 times)

Offline sandral

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great House, Knighton
« on: Friday 08 June 07 12:10 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where this house was/is located in Knighton?  It is shown in parish registers in 1800 ish and probably earlier.   Tourist information said they thought it was a B&B now but I cannot find any information on it.   

Offline GRBate

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Great House, Knighton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 June 07 16:48 BST (UK) »
see www.the-great-house.co.uk and http://www.oldmansionhouse.freeserve.co.uk/

I discovered a couple of days ago that my gg-gf Thomas Morgan was bapt there in 1814, Great House, Knighton, son of Edward Morgan & Elizabeth Rogers.
Siblings Mary 1816, Elizabeth 1818, Edwyn 1827; probably others.
These 4 bapts are in the IGI, as is a marriage of Edward Morgan to Eliz Rogers in 1791, in Shropshire I think.

Any connection to you ?

Graham
Willenhall, Staffs-hundreds of names, principally Bate, Harbach, Ratcliffe, Head, Forrester, Morgan, Evans, Clift, Tonks, Downing, Challenor, Turner
Knighton, Radnor: Morgan
Shropshire: Bate, Forrester, Head, Ratcliffe, Clift
Bromsgrove Worcs: Harbach, Head

Offline sandral

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 June 07 09:35 BST (UK) »
Yes.....I am related through Edward's father's second marriage to Mary......but I have not found details for this. Searching Welsh records is not easy.  I have a lot of information on the family but cannot get further back than this.  I note there is someone in Utah who has put a family tree on line of Charles Rogers Morgan (son of Edward and Elizabeth) who emigrated to Utah.

If you need any help on your line let me know.

The Great House is a mystery to me though - even though I have been to Knighton I didn't know of this connection at the time.   

Offline Ionraic

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I discovered an old link to you while rooting around looking for Morgans in Radnorshire. My gggf was (I think) Edwyn Morgan via Emily who married a man named Slack and later married my ggf Arthur Hemsworth and ended up in Sheffield. I wonder if you have any information about the parents of Edward Morgan and Elizabeth Rogers?
Best wishes
Nick

Offline sandral

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 09:36 GMT (UK) »
The only thing I know about the parents of Edward Morgan is that his father was Edward Morgan b. circa 1765.  He married twice and my line descends from the second wife, Mary.   I think the first wife must have been an Elizabeth and along with Edward (your line) there was a sister Elizabeth who was born in Bishops Castle, or Clun depending upon the census read.  She married an excise officer. 

Having spent years searching the Morgans in Knighton I am of the mind that all the Morgans in Knighton were related.  Of particular interest was the John Morgan who farmed at Jenkinallis (spelling) which is the next farm to my line (George) in Farrington.   I would suspect that this John was also a child of the first marriage of Edward Snr.

I have never been able to located a likely marriage for Edward Morgan and an Elizabeth around 1780ish or for that matter a death of the wife Elizabeth.  Edward Snr is buried in Knighton with his second wife, Mary Powell Morgan.

There is a wealth of information regarding the Morgans but this oringating marriage remains a mystery.  Edward Snr may not have originated in Wales and may have come from Shropshire but I cannot find him.  I do not think the baptism of Edward Jnr has been found although there is internet postings that he was baptised in the Great House - but there is nothing in the church records.   Maybe you know more.  I, and other Morgans, would be interested if you know anything else.

Offline JEdwinJones43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 May 11 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have otlined in an earlier question about Edward Morgan and Elizabeth Rogers.
She would be the auntie of my grandmother Sarah Rogers (1876-1962) the daughter of John Rogers and Margaret Jenkins.
I am trying to enlarge the family of Edward and Elizabeth Morgan, who l think farmed Great House, Knighton?
Any help?

John E. Jones

Offline sandral

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Edwin Jones, I have not been on this site for a couple of years....but just noticed your query re: Morgans and the Great House, Knighton.  Are you still looking?

Offline JEdwinJones43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have not done too much family searching this past winter.
I am still very interested in the family of Edward Morgan and Elizabeth Rogers, especially Elizabeth.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Parish records for Llanbister have baptism of Elizabeth daughter of Thomas Rogers by Sarah his wife on August 20, 1790.

Parish records for Llanfihangle nant Melan have marriage of Edward Morgan of the Parish of Knighton and Elizabeth Rogers of this Parish, by licence, on April 19, 1814. Witnesses were John Rogers and Richard Williams

I may be on the wrong track but have the following family all born at Great House, Knighton -

Thomas - Dec 18, 1814
Mary - November 24, 1816
Elizabeth - December 27, 1818
John - November 11, 1820
George - January 5, 1823
Jemina Ann - February 5, 1825
Edwyn - March 25, 1827
Charles - 1831 (?)
William - April 15, 1838

Edwyn, Charles(?) and William are listed in the 1841 census for Knighton.

Love to hear from you.

John

Offline sandral

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I too haven't done family history for a couple of years.   Just happened back on this site for other reasons and checked thru my earlier postings.   I do not know anything about Elizabeth Rogers so what you have is great.  I have never been able to get back from that couple.  My interest was Edward father of Edward but similarly I have not found the parents of Edward. (hope you are following this!).

Edward the parent married twice and I am from the second wife.  If you have any thoughts about Edward Snr I would love to hear them.  His second marriage was in Knighton but he may not have originated there.

The Charles you have in the list  bap. 6 April 1830 was the one that went off to Missouri and then Utah with the Latter Day Saints. Married Ann Mariah Delahay in Staffordshire.