Author Topic: Captain Robert Falcon SCOTT of the Antarctic  (Read 44897 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Robert Falcon Scott of the Antarctic
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 16 June 07 09:38 BST (UK) »
And in the 1861 census there are 4 grandchildren of Robert Scott and Ann Myers staying at Outlands who were born in the East Indies:

Henry aged 10
Emma aged 9
Katherine aged 7 and
Ellen aged 3

These appear to be the children of Charles Harford and Rose Scott.  Presumably all of this means that the family was closely tied to the East India company.

What an interesting investigation this is turning out to be!

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 June 07 09:44 BST (UK) »
In google books there is the following snippet view:
October 11th, at Devonport, Lieut. Charles Murray, 76th Regt., son of the late Major General James Murray, C.B., to Ann Mitchell, eldest daughter of Robert Scott Esq., of Outland

http://books.google.com/books?id=7aXfY00fvDsC&q=Ann++Mitchell++Devonport&dq=Ann++Mitchell++Devonport&ie=ISO-8859-1&pgis=1

MarMnkly :)
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snoulton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 June 07 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hello, here's a little bit more about the Scott family. They lived at Holcombe in Somerset, this what is in the holcombe website

Holcombe Brewery is perhaps not as remembered as one of it's managers sons who came to be John Scott, the father of Captain Robert Falcon Scott the famous if somewhat ill fated Antartic explorer. He became the last manager of the brewery in 1895, and although they only lived in Holcombe for two years, residing at Holcombe Manor, John Scott and his family were thought of with respect. When John Scott died a large number of people from the village attended the funeral. The Scott's are buried in the old churchyard and although Captain Scott is not his name is inscribed on the family tombstone.

Brenda

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 June 07 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

Found Ann M MARRY (sic) in 1851:

2 Outlands, stoke Damerel:
Robert SCOTT head mar 67 Paymaster & Pursor half pay RN b chudleigh
Ann M wife mar 57 b London
ANN M MURRY Dau WID 33 B Outlands
Emma Scott dau 31 unm b Outlands
George B son Unm 29 east India Company service army b Outlands
John E son unm 19 b Outlands
plus lots of servants

So it looks like their were no children from Ann M Scott and Charles Murray... One more relationship we don't have to worry about LOL  ;D

Deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Krissy always in the clouds
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 June 07 18:54 BST (UK) »
hello everyone,
wow ! its got busy on here, i only took a day out to do some retail therapy and you have all been partying without me! ::)
well andrew aren't you the lucky one some great info ! now im sure with all this help we will find your irish connections, and a big hi to you debs  :-* yes its me ;) the little old waterfield relie it must be all those long noses in the family we seem to get stuck into things ! either that or we are just plain nosey, hee hee. glad your with us on this ,its a close to home thing since mums house is built on the old scott estate at outlands i couldnt resist .
will be back soon when i have some more gossip to share
happy hunting gang
krissy ::)
jefferis, jefferies, harding, dewar.drummond, waterfield,wright

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 16 June 07 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Krissy  :-* Off for some retail therapy myself and a little pedicure thrown in for good luck.... ;D

This thread is so fun ... wish the Waterfield's were this famous!!!  ::) (well maybe they were famous around the Tavistock area hee hee)

be back later

Deb :)

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 16 June 07 20:02 BST (UK) »
hi debs
have a nice day and dont spend too much ;) well dont know about being famous but im sure there were plenty of people talking about the waterfields in tavi and maker hee hee ;D.
this family is getting very interesting ive never googled so  much  :o ! catch you later deb
hugs
kriisy

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 17 June 07 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi back from spending ...... 8)  ..... ran indoors and hid everything away so i can later pretend that I have had the stuff for ages LOL  ;D

Just a silly thought ... Where did Capt. Scott's parents come up with the middle name 'FALCON' ??  have not had time to google it yet .

another note: Have we followed through on all Hannah (Cumings) Scott's siblings and their marriages and children yet????

I keep thinking that somehow this is staring us in the face ....  ::) 8)

Deb

Ps .. i will go through Coonwarra's other threads and see if we have missed anything.

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 17 June 07 14:13 BST (UK) »
hi debs,
ha ha must be a waterfield thing i do exactly the same ! hubby is quite impressed that my cloths have lasted so well all these years ;)
i havent followed through on the siblings yet a good idea tho! i think andrew is the one to ask about the middle name it is very unusual. i found some of his family in holberton and chudliegh devon, also the connection to scotland will see if i can follow up on some of them between us we may get some where.
happy hunting
hugs cousin krissy