Author Topic: Black Mountain, Cefn Calanog 1861 census  (Read 10581 times)

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Black Mountain, Cefn Calanog 1861 census
« on: Saturday 09 June 07 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hello

An ancestor of mine, Alfred John Jones b 25/12/1854 Velindre, was living with his family (father William, tailor) at Black Mountain, Cefn Calanog in 1861. Reference is: 1861 Wales census RG9/4234 District 11 page 7 (no. of schedule 25).

I noticed in the census that there were several addresses called Black Mountain and am interested to find out what these were: cottages, farm buildings or a roadway - maybe something of that type. They appear on different pages of the census so they may not be a block of buildings together in one place. If these were properties, it could help my research if I could find the owner(s).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Black Mountain, Cefn Calanog 1861 census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 June 07 12:16 BST (UK) »
If you're looking at the census entry on Ancestry, click on Cefn Calanog at the top of the page before district 11 and this will take you to the view of the enumeration district which might give you a clue to where the cottages were.
Confusingly, the parish appears to be in Shropshire - Bettws-y-Crwyn

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SAL/BettwsyCrwyn/index.html

By the way, the census ref is actually RG9/4234 folio 29 pg 7.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 June 07 12:22 BST (UK) »
Yes, I believe it is in the Census district of Wales but within the Parish of Bettws-y-Crwyn, Salop.

I did as you suggested before posting and, unfortunately, the description of the enumeration region is very meager, which is why I am here.

Thanks
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 June 07 14:00 BST (UK) »
What about trying the Shropshire archives - many references to Bettws in its holdings
 http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/archives.nsf/open/71983720B579FD7280256C77003BF70B
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 June 07 14:46 BST (UK) »
If your ancestor is around the North of the County, his birthplace may be Felindre. Felindre is in the North of Radnorshire, Velindre is down the Southern end.

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 June 07 15:04 BST (UK) »
The birth was registered in Knighton 18/01/1885 (COL 948096) and I have the certificate for that. I also have them exactly located on the 1861 census and I am more interested in the property than the occupants.

I now know that Black Mountain was between something called the Pentiken tenement and what looks like Riddoic. There are records for a Black Mountain farm but I am rather confused as to why it would appear fragmented in the census and as different addresses.

I was rather hoping to tap into local knowledge or research of this particular area as I have already searched to the limit of my experience.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 June 07 16:51 BST (UK) »
I can see in the Shropshire Archive holdings, that there's a map of Cefn Calanog in 1847. There's also the details of the sale of some land there in 1844 with plan, and the OS 25 inch maps of the area which should be a good enough scale to find the buildings you're looking for. The archives will do a 10 minute search for free. Or you could ask on the Shropshire board if anyone is going there to have a look for you.

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 June 07 17:00 BST (UK) »

I now know that Black Mountain was between something called the Pentiken tenement and what looks like Riddoic. There are records for a Black Mountain farm but I am rather confused as to why it would appear fragmented in the census and as different addresses.

The word Riddioc maybe Riddin meaning cleared land

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 June 07 17:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you both. I have relatives in Shropshire who may be able to help with look-ups and I will also post to the Shropshire board (again).

You are I think correct regarding Riddin. I suppose that means that they were either living on cleared land or in a property so called because it was built on cleared land.